Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #1

2 weeks with my new K-01

Hello Everyone,

I've owned the K-01 for 2 weeks now and here are my thoughts.

I simply love it. There are so many wonderful things about it. The image quality. The size. The design. Just to name a few.

But before I go and talk about those things let me address the things I was worried about before purchase.

Initially, I read all I could about the camera and what most people complained about.....

People have talked about the ugly design, the rubber cover for a memory card door, the shiny lcd, and how horrible the button configuration is.

I think the only real thing I have not covered is the LCD. Yes, everyone is right it is shiny and in super bright light you have a difficult time seeing what you are shooting. But for me I can work around it. I can also use my hand to shield the screen. It doesn't bother me. I'm going to buy a shield protector for my screen and from what I read this will help a bit. But in general, the camera is completely worth the solution finding for this issue. Again, I mentioned this on my blog. I am very willing to work around whatever issue that people talk about. And in the most part I don't think that they are issues. I personally think that it is an amazing image maker.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Parallax; 10-30-2013 at 10:12 AM.
10-16-2013, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to see there is another convert who was willing to take the time to look behind the silly media hype. I fully agree with you. I have personally found this camera to be a great design. I sold my K-7 to buy my Pentax Q, which I use a lot and absolutely love as well. But I still own a lot of Pentax K-Mount glass, so when the price dropped I decided to give the K-01 a try. They were almost giving them away so it really was a no-brainer. It did not take long to figure out that all the whining had almost nothing to do with really using it in the field.

Display screen - No problem. I actually use the little 50mm viewfinder in the hot shoe most of the time.
SD Card door - Give me a break, I takes a little extra dexterity.
Green Button - Having trouble chewing gum and walking? If it is such an issue use your other thumb.
Focus Speed - If you need blazing focus speed then you probably do not shoot mirrorless cameras to start with.

It is really too bad this camera didn't catch on. Another terrific option for your great Pentax glass. Another great out of the box idea by Pentax that was shot down by camera reviewers who cannot see past the end of their own noses.

Keep up the great work.
10-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Totally agree! Love the K-01! Probably why I got three of them! Once you start slapping some FA Limiteds on it then it really becomes an image making powerhouse!

Lovely models by the way!
10-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your thoughts.
Well, I never thought it would happen, but I'm beginning to consider mirror less. I see it as the next stage in the development of cameras. After all, the mirror and pentaprism add weight and cost but don't improve the resulting image quality and can actually make it worse with vibrations. I mainly shoot wide, also. I'd be interested if a new version of the K-01 was released. Surely simply the K5II's gapless display and/or a decent ELF could be the game changer for this concept?

10-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's nice to see an objective opinion on the K-01 for a change. Hey, as long as it takes those pretty pictures, what issues?!

Btw, saw you had some Big Boi and TI there on your portfolio. Much respect!
10-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
ghl

Great photos!!

I'm not one to photograph people as I hate having my picture taken, but your pics are inspiring and wonderful to the eye; even the edibles.

The K-01 is a great camera. I love the way it fits in my hands, and even knowing its quirks well, it performs much beyond my ability to fully utilize the potential.

Good stuff, uzimakiroar.
10-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images. Makes me realise how much I still have to master with the K-01. It is certainly a great camera and worth the time to get to know. I have no regrets with that purchase. I am off to Kakadu National Park next week where I expect to give mine a proper workout with some old manual lenses.

10-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Totally agree! Love the K-01! Probably why I got three of them! Once you start slapping some FA Limiteds on it then it really becomes an image making powerhouse!

Lovely models by the way!
LeRolls,

Yeah!!! All about getting some FA limiteds. Can't wait but prob will after the New Year. I also have a MX and Me Super so they will look amazing on Film.

I'll post those as soon as I can.

...... and I agree, my girl is quite lovely.
10-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Nice to see there is another convert who was willing to take the time to look behind the silly media hype. I fully agree with you. I have personally found this camera to be a great design. I sold my K-7 to buy my Pentax Q, which I use a lot and absolutely love as well. But I still own a lot of Pentax K-Mount glass, so when the price dropped I decided to give the K-01 a try. They were almost giving them away so it really was a no-brainer. It did not take long to figure out that all the whining had almost nothing to do with really using it in the field.

Display screen - No problem. I actually use the little 50mm viewfinder in the hot shoe most of the time.
SD Card door - Give me a break, I takes a little extra dexterity.
Green Button - Having trouble chewing gum and walking? If it is such an issue use your other thumb.
Focus Speed - If you need blazing focus speed then you probably do not shoot mirrorless cameras to start with.

It is really too bad this camera didn't catch on. Another terrific option for your great Pentax glass. Another great out of the box idea by Pentax that was shot down by camera reviewers who cannot see past the end of their own noses.

Keep up the great work.
Pioneer,

I agree. Pentax hit the spot with this camera. I'm not sure why we have given so much power to reviewers. Once this camera came out, I was completely jazzed about it. I'm just so sorry it took me so long to actually purchase it and not spread the good word sooner. The truth, is that as photographers what works for us can only be determined by us living with the camera and shooting with it personally and professionally. Then and only then do we truly get to understand if it's for us. I am still in my infancy with this camera but I have found that it works within my flow. And I really look forward to when this camera has become second nature to me and I really get to create outstanding images.

It's nice to find someone who shares the same old school logical thinking that seems to be forgotten in this age of urgency.

Cheers!
10-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arsn.r3d Quote
It's nice to see an objective opinion on the K-01 for a change. Hey, as long as it takes those pretty pictures, what issues?!

Btw, saw you had some Big Boi and TI there on your portfolio. Much respect!
A,

I agree. As long as it take pretty pictures what's the problem.

And thanks. I have been an OutKast fan for days so when they told me that they want me to shoot Luscious Lefty, I almost pee'd my pants. Let's thank Hollywood for having amazing opportunities for me to be a working photographer.
10-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Thanks for your thoughts.
Well, I never thought it would happen, but I'm beginning to consider mirror less. I see it as the next stage in the development of cameras. After all, the mirror and pentaprism add weight and cost but don't improve the resulting image quality and can actually make it worse with vibrations. I mainly shoot wide, also. I'd be interested if a new version of the K-01 was released. Surely simply the K5II's gapless display and/or a decent ELF could be the game changer for this concept?
Calsan,

I would love a new K-01. Love the idea. If it had an evf and maintained aps-c it would be a no brainer for me.

And have you tried the 15mm ltd? I think that will be an awesome wide. I think my kit will be a 15mm ltd, 40mm ltd, and a 77mm ltd . If I get fancy maybe a 35mm and the 100mm macro wr.

J
10-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Love the images and yes the K-01 is a wonderfull camera.
10-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uzimakiroar Quote
I think my kit will be a 15mm ltd, 40mm ltd, and a 77mm ltd . If I get fancy maybe a 35mm and the 100mm macro wr.
I like the way you think! That's about the same kit I want for my K-01, except I bought mine with the 40XS. I think the 15 and 77 would be great compliments to it. I'd also toyed with the idea of trading out the 40XS for the 35 macro, but I like how compact the K-01 is with the 40XS so now I'm thinking that maybe a better alternative would be to just add a high-quality close-up adapter for those times when I need a little extra something. My wife has a Q and I love how she can get such a flexible system in a very tiny case. I'd like to have something similar with my K-01.
10-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uzimakiroar Quote
Calsan,

I would love a new K-01. Love the idea. If it had an evf and maintained aps-c it would be a no brainer for me.

And have you tried the 15mm ltd? I think that will be an awesome wide. I think my kit will be a 15mm ltd, 40mm ltd, and a 77mm ltd . If I get fancy maybe a 35mm and the 100mm macro wr.

J
The 77 is wonderful on the K-01! Since you are into portraiture I think you will absolutely love it!
10-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know, as much as I love small primes on the K-01, it really, really shines with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 zoom. Really great images, and while heavy, it still feels balanced.

Charles.