Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I too have been extremely happy and impressed with my Yellow K-01, especially when I think about what I paid for it. Sees a lot of use while indoors in low light conditions, as it focuses better and more accurately than my K-x and I can get usable results even at 3200 ISO. In fact, the image quality of the K-01 is what's keeping me (at least for now) from upgrading my camera body. The K-01 and K-x combination has been a nice workhorse tandem for my amateur needs (action shots of my toddler, portraits of my new baby, and silly shots of my big dog).

12-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

love that blue color on the K-01, btw!!
12-06-2013, 07:56 PM - 6 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So you are the crazy one! Great collection, can you build a brick wall with them?
Just another Brick in The Wall...

Mother, please don't let them issue another Special Edition...
12-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess it's too late for Red and Green this Christmas season...

12-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
Forum Member

KO-1 Yes!

Add me to the list of KO-1 lovers too!
When I first purchased it I did not think I would like it that much since it did not have a VF, however, I have found it was not that big a hindrance except in really bright light.
All in all it is now one of my most used Pentax cameras.
GR
12-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
Lens Buying Addict

Remarakably, now that the novelty of Qusing has worn off, I keep returning to my K-01. I skipped K5 and K-30 altogether (though I do miss the full range of modes available in the falgship dSLR) and I'm not even sure I need all the goodies on a K3 (but I'll get one anyway).
12-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Remarakably, now that the novelty of Qusing has worn off, I keep returning to my K-01. I skipped K5 and K-30 altogether (though I do miss the full range of modes available in the falgship dSLR) and I'm not even sure I need all the goodies on a K3 (but I'll get one anyway).
I have owned all the flagship cameras (except the K 5 IIs) and for certain types of shooting, they are significantly better. But the K-01 delivers image quality and is a really different shooting experience. Love them both really. The biggest thing to me is that the camera not get in the way of the shooting experience.
12-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Just another Brick in The Wall...

Mother, please don't let them issue another Special Edition...
The wall of AWESOME!

12-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

After a couple hours this weekend in a museum with a DSLR (K-5II, no less) and falling back into my bad habit of shooting everything from the same eye level, I was really happy to reach in the bag and pull out the Bumblebee with a wrist strap and a Limited.

Oh, and I confirmed something someone said in the past - the K-01's funny buttons seem to be easier to work in the snow with gloves on. The next Special Edition needs weather sealing!
12-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
After a couple hours this weekend in a museum with a DSLR (K-5II, no less) and falling back into my bad habit of shooting everything from the same eye level, I was really happy to reach in the bag and pull out the Bumblebee with a wrist strap and a Limited.

Oh, and I confirmed something someone said in the past - the K-01's funny buttons seem to be easier to work in the snow with gloves on. The next Special Edition needs weather sealing!
I think that will not happen... unless they change the rubber door with something else.
Will be nice though...
01-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Well, I have to admit I'm VERY late to K-01 party....I picked one up recently with the intention of keeping the 40mm lens, and selling the body. But after playing around with it for a while, I must admit....it kinda grows on you!!

While I've read complaints about button layout, I seem to have no issues...I can reach 'em all pretty easily. Benefits to long fingers and bigger hands I suppose....

It is also pretty easy to use, and the images are in focus, well exposed....what else can one ask for??

I wish now I hadn't bought the yellow....but oh well, who cares.....I have some nice candids from Christmas, and it was kinda fun using it with the 28mm and the 40mm primes.....
01-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I really, REALLY want one of these. Or a K-02 if Ricoh decides to give it another go.
01-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I picked up a K-01 body with only a couple of thousand shots last month for a song. I've been using it with my M42 lenses. Great combination.
01-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If you like to use (and lock) spot exposure -- gaffer-tape a Hoodman loupe on the back. Makes a wonderful, amazing difference when composing your shots!

And you'll notice something else. While a few camera-purists might look at the gaffer tape lashup and roll their eyes in horror, you'll note a LOT of positive comments from other photographers. And, now and then from passersby, as "I had a camcorder like that once."

And if the talkative folks bother you, there's always "No, it's a Japanese radiation detector... we got it cheap after Fukushima."

No camera's perfect, of course. But I'd put the K-01-with-loupe plus Pentax 35mm f/2.4 lens at the top of any list!
01-07-2014, 02:10 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Needs a tilting screen like the MX-1.
Also needs to stop AE thrashing the lens iris when in full manual while moving the camera between light/dark. Really, really hate that.