Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-01 still my favorite

I started out with a K-x several years ago. Then I purchased a K-01 and two Qs (black with the 02 zoom and white with the 01 prime). Now I just recently jumped on a K-30 because I wanted the weather sealing, multiple lens microfocus adjustment, and star tracer capability.

After all of these, the K-01 is still my go-to camera. It's the camera I enjoy using the most, the camera I have the most fun with.

If I'm going to shoot low-light action events, I take the K-30, that's a no-brainer. If I'm going on a motorcycle trip, I take the Q -- because the entire Q kit with 3 lenses, 3 batteries, charger AND waterproof otter box takes up less space than the K-01 with a lens attached. I'll also take the Q hiking, because I don't want to lug around a heavy camera bag all day.

But for daily excursions or just general shooting, my K-01 sees more duty than any other camera in my arsenal. Even with a big honkin' flash attached, it's the most pleasant-to-use camera I own. Just beyond pleased. I really should snag a second body...

Charles.

10-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-5 is injured so the K-01 has filled in - and for nearly all that I normally shoot it's doing great! I seldom shoot things that need instant-AF, and only rarely has the rear screen been overwhelmed by sunlight (often when I'm wearing a bright shirt). The images whether DNG or jpeg are uniformly excellent. And it makes people smile, which makes me look like a better people-imager I also have a Q/02 kit, but it hasn't had much use when I can use the K-01 and a small prime or light zoom - some times iso4000 is a good idea, which is fine for the K-01 but not for the Q. I would like to see a K-02 some day, style is fine but a little more user-friendly (i.e. 1 or 2 more buttons). And when the K-5 returns from minor surgery it will be a new thrill (again)!
10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K01 is my favorite as well. My K5 does not see much use after I acquired 3 K01s!
10-23-2013, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I love the K-01 ... it's why I bought two of them!

I've since picked up a K-5 II s and I have to say the focus is faster, the burst rate is nice, and there is a little more detail thanks to the lack of AA filter ... but the K-01 isn't a slouch in terms of capturing detail and I don't have to worry about front/back focus thanks to the contrast-detect AF.

My pair of K-01s will continue to get plenty of use until they finally die from being overworked.

I don't expect a K-3 to deliver an image that's significantly sharper than this:

10-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I also prefer the K-01 for general photography... I use it far more often than an excellent smaller camera, the Sony RX100. I keep a Hoodman 3" loupe gaffer-taped on the back of the K-01, and it just feels good to use.

I also keep a K-30 with a 55-300mm telephoto zoom in the car. The optical eye-level viewfinder is essential for action photos... airplanes, birds, fast automobiles, sports. And for wet weather, with the 18-55mm WR lens. But I like the way the K-01 handles better, for most situations. Simpler controls, the large LCD screen in the loupe, so easy to see the results of spot exposure before pressing the AE/L button to lock it.

These days, with a Pentax 35mm f/2.4 prime lens. It's sharp, and I like the 'normal' field-of-view. See below, f/10, 1/200, ISO 200.

A perfect world? If I could order another K-01 with a choice of colors! THAT would be worth waiting for!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by jon404; 10-27-2013 at 10:06 PM.
10-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd have to agree with you guys (also own three). K-01 is a real champ and as good as the K-3 seems to be I think I'd personally rather wait for some kind of successor to the K-01. I don't need weather sealing or a viewfinder and I don't shoot sports. If Pentax/Ricoh releases an FF mirrorless that supports the K Mount I'd surely be on board for that! For now I'll just save up my pennies. Hopefully by April next year we'll know something solid.
10-28-2013, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
If Pentax/Ricoh releases an FF mirrorless that supports the K Mount I'd surely be on board for that!
Count me in. i'd love to use my m-lenses at the focal length they were made for.
This said, i was filming a bit this week, one sony and the other my k01, & despite it shortfalls, i still love the handling of that little thing. everything is so straight forward and easy to use. it is so simply layed out, one can focus 100% on things like composition... and the quality is there when using the right lens!
10-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Count me in. i'd love to use my m-lenses at the focal length they were made for.
This said, i was filming a bit this week, one sony and the other my k01, & despite it shortfalls, i still love the handling of that little thing. everything is so straight forward and easy to use. it is so simply layed out, one can focus 100% on things like composition... and the quality is there when using the right lens!
I totally agree about the handling. I also have to say that I find the build quality to be excellent especially when compared to what Canon, Nikon, and Sony have to offer which feel like cheap plastic toys. Oh and I love the focus peaking for manual lenses. Just wish I could use it during video. It's unfortunate that so many view the K-01 as a failure.

11-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My k-5 have been acting strangely as of late. AF would often be a hit and miss. Well, more often than when I first bought it.
But Liveview AF would work perfectly. Past few months, I've been using K-5 primarily as a live-view shooter.
But it was such a hassle. Cumbersome to use, and AF in LV wasn't the fastest way. I just started to hate shooting with Pentax.

After a few months of frustration, I finally got my hands on a K-01.
The difference in speed is noticeable, and I haven't even left my chair yet.
Focus Peaking is just an icing on the cake.

I can't wait to go out and shoot more again.
12-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I have a Black K-01 with the 40 XS... just bought another K-01 (Yellow) just because I like them so much!
I will probably get one more just for good measure...
12-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I have a Black K-01 with the 40 XS... just bought another K-01 (Yellow) just because I like them so much!
I will probably get one more just for good measure...
That's what I did! Got my white, black, and yellow in the same room with me right now. If I could have gotten the silver European version too for the same insanely low price as the others then I'd most like have that one as well. Makes sense to have three. One for each FA Limited!
12-04-2013, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... I don't know about insane prices, but the European Silver could be gotten for a reasonable price a year ago, and the Japanese Smurf has come down a bit if you shop around. Let's just say:

1) There is insanity here, and it ain't the prices.
2) The Black Friday sales were good to me two years in a row.
3) I guess I need a DA 35 Ltd.

PoKe-01mon - gotta catch 'em all!
12-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I started out with a K-x several years ago. Then I purchased a K-01 and two Qs (black with the 02 zoom and white with the 01 prime). Now I just recently jumped on a K-30 because I wanted the weather sealing, multiple lens microfocus adjustment, and star tracer capability.

After all of these, the K-01 is still my go-to camera. It's the camera I enjoy using the most, the camera I have the most fun with.

If I'm going to shoot low-light action events, I take the K-30, that's a no-brainer. If I'm going on a motorcycle trip, I take the Q -- because the entire Q kit with 3 lenses, 3 batteries, charger AND waterproof otter box takes up less space than the K-01 with a lens attached. I'll also take the Q hiking, because I don't want to lug around a heavy camera bag all day.

But for daily excursions or just general shooting, my K-01 sees more duty than any other camera in my arsenal. Even with a big honkin' flash attached, it's the most pleasant-to-use camera I own. Just beyond pleased. I really should snag a second body...

Charles.
Really awesome post : )
The K-01 is just an overall great camera.
12-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Hmm... I don't know about insane prices, but the European Silver could be gotten for a reasonable price a year ago, and the Japanese Smurf has come down a bit if you shop around. Let's just say:

1) There is insanity here, and it ain't the prices.
2) The Black Friday sales were good to me two years in a row.
3) I guess I need a DA 35 Ltd.

PoKe-01mon - gotta catch 'em all!
So you are the crazy one! Great collection, can you build a brick wall with them?

I had at some point the silver, all-black en yellow brick, but now only the yellow brick. I'm not the collector, but they are fun. I do love the smurf!!!
12-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Bought a blue one from Japan. VERY glad to have a second K-01, in case my black one breaks. A note -- the 'smurf' blue color is a little different in real life than in the photos you see. See pic below.

A wish, if anyone from Pentax reads these posts -- how about a Pentax/Ricoh hotshoe optical viewfinder ... set for, say, a 35mm lens (52mm FF equivalent) ... at a <US $100 price? Doesn't have to be fancy... no electronic coupling to the hotshoe... just some glass with a small dot in the center of the frame ... a black rubber eyecup ... and maybe a silver plastic body that would look good on any color K-01... thanks!
Attached Images