Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looking for a New K-01?

Just wanted to post this. A local camera store near Washington, DC has a good line of Pentax gear.

Pentax K-01 Digital Camera 2 Lens Kit - 18-55mm and 50-200mm Lenses - Black 15274 - PhotoCraft

10-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
Forum Member

re

here in Belgium that set costs 450 euros , but i am having a hard time to choose between the k-01 and olympus e-p3.
I think that e-p3 focusses a lot faster , but on the other hand that IQ (and high ISO) of k-01 blows the e-p3 away by far.

which one should i choose?
10-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kurt1968 Quote
You're asking in a Pentax forum, so don't be surprised that people will recommend the K-01! But yeah, the K-01 will have way better image quality. As for the AF, it is much improved in recent firmware, but I don't know anything about AF on the E-P3, and you didn't say anything about the kind of photography you will use the camera for, so it's hard to judge if the K-01 is the right ticket for you.

But for me, the K-01 is certainly one of the most undervalued cameras you can find. Used bodies are currently going for around $250, and you can sometimes find really good deals - I recently saw a used K-01 & DA 40XS combo go for around $300 on Ebay.

Keep an eye on the marketplace too, and I'm sure you can get a K-01 for much less than 450 Euros...
10-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

K-01 is great indoors without flash.
However I have had 2 cases where other people are unable to use the camera indoors.
It either won't actuate the shutter or the photos are blurred.
Recently , my friend who is an experienced photographer was using his p/s camera, he picked up the K-01 with the kit lens, in Av and couldn't use it.

So far I have been unable to replicate what went wrong in each case.

10-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kurt1968 Quote
here in Belgium that set costs 450 euros , but i am having a hard time to choose between the k-01 and olympus e-p3.
I think that e-p3 focusses a lot faster , but on the other hand that IQ (and high ISO) of k-01 blows the e-p3 away by far.

I think it depends on what kind of shooter you are and what features you value the most. For the kind of photography I enjoy super fast AF is not necessary but I put a high premium on IQ and prime lens choice. I have never once regretted my decision which is probably why I proudly own three K-01s. Two of which I purchased for under $300 so yes deals can still be had on these cameras.
10-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
However I have had 2 cases where other people are unable to use the camera indoors.
It either won't actuate the shutter or the photos are blurred.
Recently , my friend who is an experienced photographer was using his p/s camera, he picked up the K-01 with the kit lens, in Av and couldn't use it.
In my experience, in dim interior conditions (even with the FW updates) the CDAF autofocus has some trouble with low contrast situations.

I am completely accustomed to finding an "edge" in my desired focal plane, focusing, and recomposing or alternatively manually focusing the DA40 Ltd. using QuickShift and Focus Peaking (Release Priority enabled). Problems arise when asking someone else to, for instance, use my camera to take a snapshot that includes me. The exact problem happened at a couples bridal shower for my son and his fiance - K-01 would not lock focus once or twice when someone else tried to use it (did great low-light videos, which is why I had it). Interestingly, my wife's Optio A40 made great captures in those cases.

I believe the K-01 is a great camera for those who know and accept its limitations. It isn't a K5II, but so what?
11-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have an Olympus EPL1 and a K-01. Even with the evf on the Olympus, I still greatly prefer the Pentax K-01. More straight forward to use and it is hard to beat a yellow camera. One advantage is all the Pentax K mount lenses fit without an adapter. Olymus has changed their lens mount 3 times. I have Om, 4/3, and now M4/3. Arghhh.
thanks
barondla
11-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I've had the same experience, especially with 5D shooters. Think it has more to do with them expecting the camera to do all the work for them,... especially the mate who complained about the lack of AF, blissfully un-aware the K-01 was wearing an early 90's full manual 50mm f2,...