Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01 screw AF screwing up

Hi couldn't find my K-01 issue posted.

1. K-01 with FA 31 started making a higher pitch sound when auto focusing as if the AF motor in the camera was not connecting with the lens. The high pitch stopped as soon as the lens started focusing and the normal screw drive could be heard.
2. After a few similar issues with higher pitch sound before AF started moving the lens, then the motor went silly and kept going even after I had taken my finger off the shutter button and turned the camera off - camera remained on. To turn the camera and motor off I had to remove the battery.
3. A bit later the camera no longer had the high pitch sound, but wouldn't focus properly. The focus went in and out and stopped at the wrong place.
4. I did a reset which made no difference.
5. I tried a 21 Ltd which repeated the troubled focusing issue.
6. Placed in a freshly charged battery which made no difference.
7. Next I used a 60-250 with an internal focus motor and it worked perfectly.
8. 15 hours later I place the 21Ltd back on the body the the bl..dy AF worked perfectly.

I would like to settle the issue before the camera runs out of warranty.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Any new angles on the problem? Not much point taking it in if it won't act up.

11-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar problem with my K-01 (and noise) and I thought that a dud AF on the K-01. However, I found that in fact the lens was not properly locked in.

I discussed somehow the issue at:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/188994-why-...my-k-01-a.html
although I was more concerned with the tight fit of the lens on the K-01.

At the end, my K-01 is still working very well, but I have to be careful when I swap lenses. Every time I swap lenses, I always check very carefully that the new lens is properly locked in and does not make noise.

PS: In addiiton, as reported in other threads, some lenses work better with the K-01 than others. For example my DA18-250mm hunts and rarely focus well, but all my DA Ltd and FA Ltd work fine.

Hope that the comment may help.
11-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks hcc
I did find your post but it didn't seem to have all of my symptoms. I suspect I interpreted it as a 40mm issue.

Do you think a heavier lens could be an issue causing some distortion on the mount. having said that, yesterday, i was getting the same problem with a 21mm and I did take off and place back on my k-01 several time.
11-05-2013, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Bob

In my earlier post, I listed the DA40mm because I used only the DA40mm at the time. I had once a similar issue (and noise) with another lens (I do not remember which one). I hope that you have the same pb as I had. Very simple to solve.... once you know.

I am not sure about heavier lenses on the K01. Generally my lighter lenses (DA15, DA40, FA31, FA77) work fine, and the pb is more with the zoom lenses. The Da18-135mm works also great on the K-01. Typically I prefer to put smaller, more compact lenses on the K-01, and I leave the heavy ones for the K-7.

Hope that the info will assist.

Last edited by hcc; 11-05-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Typos
11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Had the same issue, and turned out to be the AF switch, which was in between MF and AF. Check yours.
11-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
An update on the K-01
- Have not been able to resolve the issue. Took it in the CRK today to get it fixed under warranty. As not many sold in Australia my K-01 will be visiting Japan as it was not worth while for CRK to tool up to fix them - wise move. needless to say the service Dept at CRK had not seen this problem before.

I will post what they did with the K-01 when I get it back. I suspect the camera will be spending Christmas in Japan. How lucky for it.

I only purchased it as a backup camera, but found I used it heaps because I could hang it around my neck unlike a K5. I will have to console myself with my new K3. I think i can cope.
01-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K01 has visited japan in theory been repaired but still won't focus with screw focus lenses most of the time - Frustrating

Will update after next japan visit
02-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #8

I've sent in my K-01 for warranty repair with the same symptoms, I used a Tamron 17-50 lens. The difference was my camera never went back to normal – while in my hands. But now the repair shop says nothing is wrong with the camera, so I guess they are sending it back.
In that case something may be wrong with the lens (although it seems to work with other bodies) and I'm thinking of getting a Sigma 17-50/2,8 with built-in focus motor instead. Anyone happen to know if it works on a K-01 (considering not all Sigma lenses do)?

04-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's almost May 2014 and my K01 has just returned from its second all expenses paid holiday to Japan.

I'm happy to say the autofcus now works with all my screw focus lenses although it sounds really noisy with the 31mm Ltd. The paperwork says "Dismantled unit to replace PCB ASSY as required" No other information provided.

PCB = Printed Circuit Board. I think ASSY is short for assembly
05-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

PCB ASSY translation is correct.

If the noise is different on one lens, then it'll be a noise from the lens, not from the body..
05-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
hen it'll be a noise from the lens, not from the body..
Thanks for your feedback