Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

Yup I read that blurb too John, but it sounds to me like an emotional assessment. It could be that the Jpeg engine in the K-01 is better, but I don't think that's the main reason he loves the cam so much. But whatever the case, I'm glad the K-01 get the recognition it derserves.

11-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
"I had just gotten to the section of the folder that was filed with Pentax files. Even at ISO 3200 (and, under the right circumstances---a bit above...) the faces were free of noise but invested with detail. The files had a different look and feel than the files from the other two cameras. The images of one and two year olds just glowed! And I remember how freeing it felt not to totally control my camera when I was taking those particular shots."

- Kirk Tuck
QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
Yup I read that blurb too John, but it sounds to me like an emotional assessment. It could be that the Jpeg engine in the K-01 is better, but I don't think that's the main reason he loves the cam so much. But whatever the case, I'm glad the K-01 get the recognition it derserves.
I think Mr. Tuck means it exactly the opposite - the looks is the strongest asset of the K-01 in his shooting of people and especially kids. Specs wise the K-01 got nothing on the GH3 or A99.
I guess I respect your opinion but I think he meant precisely what he wrote.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-12-2013 at 02:40 PM.
11-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
He says in his article that he knows that maybe others feel it is kind of silly to judge a camera based on out of camera jpegs, but they turned out better than the other cameras. In addition, he had a lot of fun shooting it. What more could you ask for?
11-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Yeah, why is it so hard to believe that a blogger is genuinely impressed with the results he got from a Pentax camera? And why would you take it upon yourself to tell others what he "really meant?"

11-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
And why would you take it upon yourself to tell others what he "really meant?"
Because I've been using both K-01 and NEX-5R, and there's absolutely nothing special about the Pentax's RAW output. But it could be better in JPEG, which I never tried. Besides, he's been very emotional about the K-01, calling it better than a D800 Ripe Camera: I'm so angry at myself. It's all about a lack of foresight...

So there, the meanings of his words are sometimes not on the surface.
11-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Because I've been using both K-01 and NEX-5R, and there's absolutely nothing special about the Pentax's RAW output. But it could be better in JPEG, which I never tried. Besides, he's been very emotional about the K-01, calling it better than a D800
There is a forum member on this site, how has printed 13x17 inch prints, and came to the same conclusion. Maybe not better, different but equal. This is one of those issues where people who have actually done the comparisons say something different from what those who haven't say. I'm going with, the K-01 does as good as a D800 until someone does a test that shows me different. Someone has to prove how much better a D800 is in the field, and have the images to prove it, in something other than pixel peeping. And if you're really a serious photographer, the images should be all you care about.
11-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Because I've been using both K-01 and NEX-5R, and there's absolutely nothing special about the Pentax's RAW output. But it could be better in JPEG, which I never tried. Besides, he's been very emotional about the K-01, calling it better than a D800 Ripe Camera: I'm so angry at myself. It's all about a lack of foresight...

So there, the meanings of his words are sometimes not on the surface.
There's nothing there to support your opinion. Just because you don't find anything special about a camera doesn't mean everyone must agree with you. You are not the final authority.

11-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm going with, the K-01 does as good as a D800 until someone does a test that shows me different.
If that works for you, then by all means. From what I see though, in the field or not, IQ of the D800 is in a different league.
11-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #24

Just because you don't find anything special about a camera doesn't mean everyone must agree with you. You are not the final authority.
I'm just pointing out that Mr. Tuck has treated the K-01 with emotional bias, which is fine by me as I love my K-01 the same way. Do I need to be the final authority to just talk around here?
11-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
Pentaxian

If that works for you, then by all means. From what I see though, in the field or not, IQ of the D800 is in a different league.
OK then, what are you seeing? Not your conclusion, your data.
11-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm just pointing out that Mr. Tuck has treated the K-01 with emotional bias, which is fine by me as I love my K-01 the same way. Do I need to be the final authority to just talk around here?
Obviously not. Just don't assume that you know what others "really mean" when their words are quite clear. And he's described his enthusiasm for the camera as being much more than just emotional. Plain as day, he said that the K-01 files jumped out to him much more than the other two cameras. Hard to misconstrue that.
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I like this guy . But I don't know why again some peoples here are bringing D800 in this tread. I don't thinhk he use any Nikon product in his blog!!
11-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #28

Just don't assume that you know what others "really mean" when their words are quite clear. And he's described his enthusiasm for the camera as being much more than just emotional. Plain as day, he said that the K-01 files jumped out to him much more than the other two cameras. Hard to misconstrue that.
And how do you quantify "jumping out"? The whole article leaves lots of room for interpretation.
You have your way of perceiving it, and I have mine. Did I force anyone to agree with my version of interpretation, or insult anyone who disagrees? My original post says clearly *I think* he means a differently. Are you offended by what I think?
11-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I like this guy . But I don't know why again some peoples here are bringing D800 in this tread. I don't thinhk he use any Nikon product in his blog!!
Well he said here on his blog post that K-01 is better than D800 or any other modern cam - Ripe Camera: I'm so angry at myself. It's all about a lack of foresight...
11-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

And how do you quantify "jumping out"?
Jumped out, stood out, were noticed because they looked different. None of that is remotely emotional.

Are you offended by what I think?
Actually,yes, because you obviously think you know better what was intended than the rest of us. Pretty offensive.