Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
I think Mr. Tuck means it exactly the opposite - the looks is the strongest asset of the K-01 in his shooting of people and especially kids. Specs wise the K-01 got nothing on the GH3 or A99.
I don't think that's what he is saying.

"In other words this was the camera of the three that got the least in the way of controls and mindful direction from me. I would see something I liked, bring the camera up to frame and then flail away with a volley of three or four quick exposures."

"But given that all of my favorite files from the day came from a camera and lens combination that cost me about $200 used gave me pause."

"Should I have eschewed the technical tunnel vision from the get go and just concentrated on being in the moment and trusting to the machine? Or did someone build a machine for taking pictures that works best for me and I just now found it?"

I would think, based on that blog, that he finds the k-01 to be the easiest to use, and it is the camera that he trusts the most to generate pictures in the way he likes.

In some of his other blogs he has made mention of the looks, and how he enjoys the boxy shape and how people do not notice the camera. However, in every other blog with the k-01, he mentions that he loves the k-01 because it feels like a toy for him - something that is very fun to use and generates high IQ images straight from the camera. Those two lines are pretty much repeated in every blog post that includes the k-01.

11-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kirk Tuck writes

"
I was happily editing and there were no surprises until half way through the edit when the files under went a change. The colors got richer. The images got sharper and more detailed and the files got more robust to changes and processing. I wondered if the dog had changed a setting in Aperture when I left the office for coffee so I double checked. Nope.

I had just gotten to the section of the folder that was filed with Pentax files. Even at ISO 3200 (and, under the right circumstances---a bit above...) the faces were free of noise but invested with detail. The files had a different look and feel than the files from the other two cameras. The images of one and two year olds just glowed! And I remember how freeing it felt not to totally control my camera when I was taking those particular shots.

My friend, Paul, reminded me not to read too much into the files. He reminded me that I was mostly just comparing the different ways the cameras rendered Jpegs. But given that all of my favorite files from the day came from a camera and lens combination that cost me about $200 used gave me pause. Lots of pause. Had I spent the last 26 years doing this whole photography thing incorrectly?"

To me it looks like he's expressing his opinion emotionally (which he does - one of the reasons I like his writing). It is a subjective, emotional opinion, no doubt, but it is also unequivocal - he likes the jpeg files from the K-01 more than he likes the GH3 and A99 jpegs.
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Oh my, look what I've started! Maybe I'll try to distract people with a picture of a puppy or something...
11-12-2013, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

How about a porch bird? …

11-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Because I've been using both K-01 and NEX-5R, and there's absolutely nothing special about the Pentax's RAW output. But it could be better in JPEG, which I never tried. Besides, he's been very emotional about the K-01, calling it better than a D800 Ripe Camera: I'm so angry at myself. It's all about a lack of foresight...

So there, the meanings of his words are sometimes not on the surface.
Full Disclosure:

"Some people will nit-pick anything to death. My hyperbolic pronouncement (partially tongue in cheek) that the K-01 is the best digital camera ever prompted someone on a forum to equivocate and say that he "might" consider the K-01 as such if it had: 10 fps, a flip out screen, a blender attachment for frozen drinks, the wind lever from an M series Leica, two more HDR modes, a composition bracketing mode, a tampon dispenser and a few other touches. That would make the camera just right......right......sigh."
11-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My hyperbolic pronouncement
That is emotional bias, no? And that is exactly what I'm saying too. This camera is good, but not in a technicality sense. It just makes the user feel good about taking picture. And the main reason for that is the design.
11-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster

11-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How about a porch bird?
And why is it eating rocks full of chromatic aberations?

11-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #39
Pentaxian

And why is it eating rocks full of chromatic aberations?
Because it was shot with an A-400 with a 1.7 converter on it? I experiment from time to time. Were you thinking I posted this so you could make a critical comment? Even humour annoys you. Do you have a some personality disorder that means we should be excusing this type of behaviour?
11-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Even humour annoys you.
It was meant as a joke. Lighten up!
11-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

It was meant as a joke. Lighten up!
boriscleto™

Done and done.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-13-2013 at 12:25 PM.
11-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member

That is emotional bias, no? And that is exactly what I'm saying too. This camera is good, but not in a technicality sense. It just makes the user feel good about taking picture. And the main reason for that is the design.
Oh man, are you hard-headed or what? Liking the results of this particular camera when he's going through the results of the day's shooting are the exact opposite of emotional bias. Saying the camera made him feel good while taking the photos is emotional bias. Do you seriously not see the difference? He's saying that the K-01 has both things going for it. Why is that so hard for you to accept?
11-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Why is that so hard for you to accept?
Because the K-01 simply doesn't have the spec's to "legitimately" be labeled a better camera than a D800, don'tcha know?. It isn't a "rational" assessment so it must then by definition be emotional. Since the RAW's can't possibly be better than D800 RAW's the writer must be deceived by his bias, by the way the camera looks and feels, or by some cheat that Pentax is doing wiht the jpeg engine.

I mean really, DL, use your head.
11-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Because the K-01 simply doesn't have the spec's to "legitimately" be labeled a better camera than a D800, don'tcha know?. It isn't a "rational" assessment so it must then by definition be emotional. Since the RAW's can't possibly be better than D800 RAW's the writer must be deceived by his bias, by the way the camera looks and feels, or by some cheat that Pentax is doing wiht the jpeg engine.

I mean really, DL, use your head.
Won't I ever learn?

Seriously, though, I'm not comparing it to any other camera. Why can't it just be a good camera on it's own merits?
11-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Why can't it just be a good camera on it's own merits?
Yes it can be good on its own merit. In this case the merit is the design. K-01 is all about design. Completely the opposite of the statement that if you can deal with the design then the rest is great. Well the rest is not great - it's on par or maybe a little above par in some aspects, while sucks badly in others. It's the Marc Newson design that is great.