Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
Yes it can be good on its own merit. In this case the merit is the design. K-01 is all about design. Completely the opposite of the statement that if you can deal with the design then the rest is great. Well the rest is not great - it's on par or maybe a little above par in some aspects, while sucks badly in others. It's the Marc Newson design that is great.
No, the design is not great. its clown car now, see..

11-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well he said here on his blog post that K-01 is better than D800 or any other modern cam - Ripe Camera: I'm so angry at myself. It's all about a lack of foresight...
Did you actually read the post you linked to here and Kirk's comments below? It is clear that that post is more of a rant about the cost of the camera going up and Kirk says that he is speaking with hyperbole/tongue in cheek. That said, for his shooting style, the K-01 is clearly a better fit than the D800 and gives adequately good output. And I would argue that with a decent lens, with shots not at high iso, printing at normal sizes, you would be hard pressed to see the difference in the cameras.
11-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Yes it can be good on its own merit. In this case the merit is the design. K-01 is all about design. Completely the opposite of the statement that if you can deal with the design then the rest is great. Well the rest is not great - it's on par or maybe a little above par in some aspects, while sucks badly in others. It's the Marc Newson design that is great.
I find you extremely funny and entertaining. Please, don't stop posting .

And here I was thinking that majority of the people out there hate the design of the K-01 and the reason was dismissed by a lot of people was its design... without even trying the camera
On the other hand, majority of the people while disliking or hating the design (but they did try the camera), do appreciate the little camera for its image quality and what it can do... have I got lost in the translations!?

Granted it has minuses (even though most of them can be overcome)... but the little camera can deliver very good images - JPEG or RAW.
11-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #49

I really appreciate the design (not that I like the design itself) and how it tanked in sales. How else could I get a new camera that can produce images of the same quality as the K5 for $250?

11-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #50
Veteran Member

At this point, I can only assume that you are doing this for s**ts and giggles, so I will bow out.
11-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
On the other hand, majority of the people while disliking or hating the design (but they did try the camera), do appreciate the little camera for its image quality and what it can do... have I got lost in the translations!?
Kirk Tuck isn't one of them. He loves the design, so much that he doesn't care about the rest. I find myself reacting the same way about this camera. To say that he loves it for the output is misreading his posts IMO - if that were the case he could've gone out and buy a Pentax DSLR which would produce the same or even better output. Why didn't he do that?

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I find you extremely funny and entertaining. Please, don't stop posting .
Your wish has been granted
11-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Kirk Tuck isn't one of them. He loves the design, so much that he doesn't care about the rest. I find myself reacting the same way about this camera. To say that he loves it for the output is misreading his posts IMO - if that were the case he could've gone out and buy a Pentax DSLR which would produce the same or even better output. Why didn't he do that?

11-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
To say that he loves it for the output is misreading his posts IMO - if that were the case he could've gone out and buy a Pentax DSLR which would produce the same or even better output. Why didn't he do that?
"The colors got richer. The images got sharper and more detailed and the files got more robust to changes and processing....all of my favorite files from the day came from a camera and lens combination that cost me about $200 used gave me pause"

To be fair, he's talking about the image quality of the K-01 and how he used it (in P-Mode) may have permitted him more headspace to see his environment differently and maybe interact differently than had he been behind the OVF/EVF of a more "serious" camera in a more "serious" shooting mode. But the end result is that, specs be damned and funky design be damned, he liked the photos from the K-01 better. Is there really anything more important than that?

And really, could he say it any clearer?

Why didn't he buy a Pentax DSLR? Maybe he didn't know the qualities of Pentax cameras. Maybe the K-01 is his introduction into the brand. Maybe he will go ahead and buy one. To use that as proof of your point is a little specious.
11-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #54
Veteran Member

$200?

"But given that all of my favorite files from the day came from a camera and lens combination that cost me about $200 used gave me pause."

He must have got in on one of those quick discounts that popped up a while back (and sold out immediately.) I tried to nab one then, no chance.

11-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
"But given that all of my favorite files from the day came from a camera and lens combination that cost me about $200 used gave me pause."

He must have got in on one of those quick discounts that popped up a while back (and sold out immediately.) I tried to nab one then, no chance.

used... (at his favorite brick and mortar)

YK