Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 Snap Focus

Since I've decided to stick with my K-01 rather than going to a GR, thought I'd better figure out a way to do Snap Focus.

Easy, really -- at least with my 35mm lens. Just leave manual-focus on a spot about 20' away (6m) ... use Av Aperture priority set at f/10, with the shutter speed and ISO left to float to whatever the camera wants. Then just push the shutter button -- no waiting, no autofocus to slow you down. Snap! What with the hyperfocal effect, that 20' setting works for just about any subject at any distance.

And, for snapshots, you'll want to use Center-Weighted exposure metering rather than Spot. Again, nothing to think about... Snap!

Bokeh? Not. Think of yourself as a member of the f/10 Group (trendy, like the Weston/Adams f/64 Group back when) ... or running a Kodak Brownie simulation (traditional). Everything in sharp focus, foreground to background. Works great in daylight of course... after dark, you'll have to put the K-01 on a beanbag and use an IR remote... f/10 makes for LONG exposures as night falls.

Since the start of photography, there's been a natural split between folks who like pictorial effects, like bokeh, and others who prefer sharp-focus unaltered representation. I'm in the second group. And -- for those sharp clear images I enjoy -- the K-01 really delivers. I know I'm preaching to the choir here -- but what a great little camera!

Last edited by jon404; 11-17-2013 at 11:42 PM.
11-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #2

I scale focus my Kiron 28mm f/2 all the time with the K-01. I normally don't shoot above f/8 since diffraction will start to have a visible effect on sharpness. Here's a good link for more information.

Using DOF Scales
11-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@Mattco26 -- it's all tradeoffs, isn't it? I'll give your f/8 a try ... which would put my magic Snap Focus spot at 25' ... am using the DOFmaster calculator at Online Depth of Field Calculator ... at f/8 on my 35mm lens, that will let me be sharp from 13' to about half a mile away... not so bad... and f/8 would give me more daylight-into-evening time than f/10. Will also test tomorrow to see -- at 100% -- if there is noticeable diffraction difference on the 35mm lens comparing f/8, f/10, and f/16. A scene with blades of grass should be a pretty good 'acid test'. Stay tuned!