Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Manual K lenses

Just posting this as i wanted to use older K manual lenses and was a little dissappointed that i couldn't initially find a way to manually set aperture and see a - 0 + meter reading. I found a work around solution that works for me ...so far.. and thought i should share it if anyone is trying the same. The trick seems to be to set the Camera in M mode, set a fixed ISO, and to assign your green button in "Button Customisation" for Action in M/TAv Mode to the TvSHIFT function.
This way you can manually chose your aperture and by pressing the Green button before releasing the shutter the camera metering selects appropriate shutter speed. I probably was a bit spoiled by optical preview in my K20d !

11-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichGrace Quote
Just posting this as i wanted to use older K manual lenses and was a little dissappointed that i couldn't initially find a way to manually set aperture and see a - 0 + meter reading. I found a work around solution that works for me ...so far.. and thought i should share it if anyone is trying the same. The trick seems to be to set the Camera in M mode, set a fixed ISO, and to assign your green button in "Button Customisation" for Action in M/TAv Mode to the TvSHIFT function.
This way you can manually chose your aperture and by pressing the Green button before releasing the shutter the camera metering selects appropriate shutter speed. I probably was a bit spoiled by optical preview in my K20d !
That's exactly what you have to do. The full instructions are found here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got it! And in addition to the article Adam cited, see K-01, Manual Focus Lenses, and the Green Button. It contains some other tips. For example, with the settings you describe you can press the +/- button to stop down the aperture and check depth of field.

Noel
11-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's exactly what you have to do. The full instructions are found here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
Thanks Adam, i had searched the the web and camera manual a bit to find out and wish i had read/found your excellent post a little earlier! On the other hand i had a few fun hours looking into the lens and releasing the shutter to figure out what was happening. I am really very happy with the K01 and just love operating it and my K20d in pretty much good old K1000 manual simulation!

11-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
You got it! And in addition to the article Adam cited, see K-01, Manual Focus Lenses, and the Green Button. It contains some other tips. For example, with the settings you describe you can press the +/- button to stop down the aperture and check depth of field.

Noel
Many thanks, all fun learning!