Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LCD viewfinder attachment?

What is a good "poor man's solution" for attaching an adapter to the K-01 to use the LCD screen as an EVF? I have seen some people do it to P&S Lumix cameras using old slide viewers. Just hack off the end and leave the bottom long enough to attach to the tripod mount.

Anything a bit more elegant for the K-01?

12-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I believe this to be 'lo ultimo' solution :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/226748-evf-finder-k-01-solution-found.html

12-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been looking around for something because I have a hard time seeing focus peaking on my K-01 in bright light when I'm using my manual lenses. Plus, I find it awkward to shoot telephoto shots while holding the K-01 out where I can see the screen. It's just not as stable as having my elbows tucked into my body. I had looked at some of the LCD loupes out there, but most were a bit more than I wanted to spend, so I dug through my miscellaneous gear this past weekend to see what I could find. I had forgotten I had a waist-level finder for my LX. Too bad it doesn't come even remotely close to covering the screen of my K-01 because it would definitely meet your criteria of a more elegant solution. Then I started looking through the case of an old Kiev 66 medium format camera that a friend had picked up at a garage sale for me for $5. It had a folding waist-level finder hidden in the bottom, so I tried that out. It still doesn't cover the whole screen, but it's much, much closer. I'm going to try to build a plate to attach it to that will then attach to the K-01 via the tripod socket. It'll cover the LCD screen when it's folded, but it's pretty easy to pop open and it'll act as a shade for the LCD screen. Then, if I want to use the LCD screen like an EVF, I can pop out the little magnifier that's built into the waist-level finder and hold my K-01 directly up to my eye. That's my theory anyway.

Edited to add: I'm thinking that a finder for a 6X7 camera would come even closer to covering the LCD screen. I can't remember if I have one for my Pentax 6X7 or not. Even if I do, I'm not sure that's something I want to go drilling holes in. Not with my skills, anyway. lol
12-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if my solution is elegant, but it works perfectly. About 6 months ago, I used Hollywood-style gaffer tape to attach a 3" Hoodman loupe to my K-01. Between this fix and v1.04 firmware, I have a wonderful camera. The Hoodman loupe has a diopter adjustment that works with my nearsightedness -- I don't have to take my glasses off to see the screen at close range anymore.

And using that huge 3" screen as an EVF is a real treat. Its refresh rate must be fast enough, because I've snapped some good photos of sports like baseball games where you can anticipate the upcoming action spots... like around the goal for soccer. The big win for me is that I use spot exposure all the time -- and now I can see the results very clearly even in bright daylight. This is FAR better than an OVF on a DSLR.

One last benefit (I think it's a benefit) is how many comments you get about the camera and loupe combination. Some people think it's a video camcorder, others think it's a film camera, and most think you're a professional and then want to talk about their Canikon. I'm reasonably social, so, for me, this is fun...

12-04-2013, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
TML (Twin Mirror-Less)