Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-01 Doesn't want to manually meter

Weird. Camera works fine with Pentax-A type lenses, but, if you switch to manual focus and adjust the aperture ring to anything but A, none of the modes seem to work and it keeps saying its in Av mode even though the mode dial is set to P, Tv, Av, or M. Green button does nothing in any of those modes (yes the Green button custom setting is Tv and allow aperture setting is set to 2). So basically it doesn't want to manually adjust, and thinks it's in Av mode regardless what the mode dial says.

Move the aperture ring back to automatic A and camera works fine and all mode dial changes correctly show P, Tv, Av, M, etc.

I've tried several different lenses, too, and wiped off the contacts.

12-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That is normal, modern Pentax cameras don't have any way to know what the aperture ring is set to. If you're going to use a lens without the A position you need to use M mode only and the green button to get a stop down meter reading.
12-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am just trying the K-01 here with an -A lens.
With the aperture ring not on A, selecting modes will give the dialog "Av" for all modes except "M" and "B" and "Movie"
When those 3 modes are selected the dialog shows the mode and the button functions.
Hope this helps you work out what is amiss there.
12-10-2013, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I just noticed you said M mode also says Av too, which is not normal, turn off auto ISO.

12-10-2013, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

All (still) modes except M revert to Av when it can't read the aperture information. All of this is normal. So with K-mount bayonet lenses, you use M mode and green-button metering. *ISO must be set to a fixed number, not a range.* (If set to a range on the K-01, that's Tav mode, so that reverts to Av like the others.) With m42 lenses (or K-mounts with the aperture lever lopped off) your turning of the aperture ring stops down as you do that and so Av mode works in that case as it is just constantly metering. But bayonet lenses are held wide-open all the time until you shoot, which is why you need the green-button -- it stops down for a second and takes a reading at your selected aperture.
12-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same problem last month, for some reason I still don't know. It was irritating as I was doing a "Single In" with a manual lens. The only solution I could find was to "re-set" the software back to its (up-dated) default settings. Since then the green button/manual metering has worked perfectly again.
12-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bingo!

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I just noticed you said M mode also says Av too, which is not normal, turn off auto ISO.
Argggh! Yes, it is the auto-ISO that was the culprit.

Thanks, its fixed!

Yes, when auto-ISO is turned on, nearly every mode on the dial reports as Av, which makes you think your mode dial is not working.

Last edited by OnTheWeb; 12-10-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: profound clarity
12-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
All (still) modes except M revert to Av when it can't read the aperture information. All of this is normal. So with K-mount bayonet lenses, you use M mode and green-button metering. *ISO must be set to a fixed number, not a range.* (If set to a range on the K-01, that's Tav mode, so that reverts to Av like the others.) With m42 lenses (or K-mounts with the aperture lever lopped off) your turning of the aperture ring stops down as you do that and so Av mode works in that case as it is just constantly metering. But bayonet lenses are held wide-open all the time until you shoot, which is why you need the green-button -- it stops down for a second and takes a reading at your selected aperture.
Yes, vonBaloney posted the first correct answer... I just missed it as I was speeding through the posts. Sorry!