Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-01 file naming change possible?

Hi! I've searched the forum (also the manual, and the manu of the camera) but I did not find a possibility to change the file naming (anything instead of IMGP...)
The reason i want to change the file naming: I have other Pentax camera (trusty old K20D) and I want to avoid having files with same file-names
Anyone knows if it's possible - in camera?

Thanks.

12-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The file name option is in the setup menu. Do you see anything there?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That is not possible with the K-01. The K-01 has less options in the menu then the K-3 in Adam's image.
12-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

There are a number of ways to do this if the camera does not. I always change the file names on import to the computer. I use the format: YYYY.MM.DD@HH.MM.SS.DNG (Year.Month.Day@ Hour.Minute.Second.extension) I have Lightroom do this automatically on import.

I think most image software gives you some type of option for this. If you don't use image management software there are simple file renaming programs available for free. I used something called "Stamp 2.8" for many years before I purchased Lightroom. Stamp handles import from memory card, renames the files and copies them to the directory of your choice.

12-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The file name option is in the setup menu. Do you see anything there?
--- Thanks Adam - and yes, I see something else - The K-01 menu lack the "File Name" field in the setup menu page 2 :P
--- RonHendriks1966 - That's what I thought - but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!
--- jatrax - This is the option I will use, but user error can occur, when inserting the memory cards from the two different cameras :/ Or I can change the file naming in my other camera (K20 D) - and problem solved!

Thanks everyone!
12-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

It's worth noting that the file name changes depending on the colour space selected. As described in the owner's guide.
12-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

In camera probably not, but it's simple in Lightroom or Bridge, so I would think other programs can do it to.

I just got Lightroom 4 (this may be possible in 3 too) and have changed my naming of files. This is a file just imported from the camera, Lightroom renames the files on import to my specs: 20130527PENTAX K-30-0003.dng. The first 8 digits are date: YYYMMDD, obviously the next part is the camera name, the last 4 digits are the sequence. Many parts of the exif data can be used in the file name including camera serial number, lens name. You could get into pretty long fikle names if you want to.

Here's two files in the same folder:
20130526PENTAX Q-0001.dng
20130526PENTAX K-30-0001.dng
Before I added the camera name to the file name I would either have to tell Lightroom to start at a different sequence number (on imports from a second camera on the same day) or Lightroom would add a -2 to the file name. If you had two of the same camera using the serial number would be an easy way to distinguish the files from each.

There is a lot of freedom to set this up however you want. I've used the date and sequence for years and it has worked well. Now with a second camera adding that camera name has simplified things.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/224017-file-...#ixzz2nJjEsc3S