Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

K-01 overheating - FNQ would challenge any camera, hot and humid near the coast, really hot and dry the other side of the Divide.
( Flying Cairns to Mt Isa can be a real shock to the system,.. )
I've gotten three hours of recording use out of my K-01 in Melbourne, with no problems at all, besides forgetting to re-hit the record button every 19 minutes or so.

Boris: No DSLR style camera is really ideal for what you're trying to do. creating a single file with no breaks will be hard. Some Videocameras that record to SD cards will create a new file for every 2 gig or so, but some drop a couple of frames along the way ( my JVC HD-7 drops three, every time ). Best 'simple and cheap' solution I could suggest, is to hook a video camera up to PC with a USB video capture dongle, and record direct to the PC, or find a cheap camera that allows you to record directly from it's USB connection.

The dongle solution will work for Standard Def recording.

HiDef is harder - you'll need HDMI out, and the only device I know of that record HDMI is the BlackMagicDesign 'Intensity Shuttle' -> The Shuttle is a good piece of kit BUT for the Mac / Thunderbolt version ONLY.
The USB 3 version is a useless paperweight until BMD get off their ass and write decent drivers for it. Yes, I own one, and wish I didn't at this stage.

12-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the reference to the Intensity Shuttle! I checked out their website and posted this similar question to their forum. Let's see what they say.

It seems like the Shuttle can combine a HDMI video feed with the audio that comes in on separate inputs to create a video stream which is then recorded on the computer (mine's a Mac - hooray!).

The challenge then is to find a camera that can stay on without going into sleep mode and produce a live HDMI video monitoring output that does not have the overlay info such as mode settings and exposure settings. Can the K-01 or even my own K-39 do this at the proper frame rate? Is the bit rate from the camera crippled in any way to reduce processing power on the camera's end?
12-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The K-01 only uses HDMI out for playback.
12-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Da, plugging HDMI in switches the K-01 to Playback Only.

It's one of the 'big' issues with the firmware in video/film recording modes, along with the low data rate in the CoDec, the high noise floor in the audio recording, and the use of 32kHz sample rate for sound, instead of 44.1 or the preferred 48kHz.

Yes, with a Mac and the Thunderbolt variant of the Intensity Shuttle you should have no problems recording the sound and vision, once you get it to the Shuttle.

We use a MacBook and a Shuttle to stream the 'Basement Apes Live' recording session to the Web, usually with no issues beyond the streaming software forgetting presets or the phone not having a reliable connection.
It's normally fed with a $200 HD video camera.