Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

My K-01 and his little brothers :)

They are also known as "The White Pentax Knights"
Didn't had a forth camera so I had to take them in pairs... good occasion to prove that MX-1 can use external flashes and Q it ain't that bad .

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-03-2014 at 06:09 AM.
01-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice looking brothers.
01-03-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Too bad I can't see the attached photos -- just a "broken file" sign It is not the first time on this forum, and I don't know why...
01-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was not aware the MX-1 and the Q were available in that white finish. Very slick imo. And the white K-01 is my favorite color

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Too bad I can't see the attached photos -- just a "broken file" sign It is not the first time on this forum, and I don't know why...
Are you using firefox? On my old laptop I used to have that issue constantly and even despite uninstalling and reinstalling FF, I sometimes had to go to IE (which I hate). Might be worth a look...

-Heie

01-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

@Caver, as Heie is saying, there is something going on either with the site or with the Firefox... I have the same issues on my main computer at home... and the problem occurs only on this website. I'm sure if you try from a different computer it will work...

@Heie, no they don't come with those skins.
I've changed them with leatherette skins taken from Aki-Asahi Camera Coverings. They have quite a few options but I thought white will complement the K-01 .
I actually like the feel of the leatherette better... wish I would be able to do the same on the K-01 .
01-03-2014, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #6
Banned

Oh you need a white K-50
01-03-2014, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Oh you need a white K-50
I'm holding on for the Pentax K-HG (holy-grail)

01-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry for the "off" and thanks Heie and mrNewt for the suggestions. I'm using Chrome and/or Firefox and I got the same problem (pictures not showing) with both.
I will dig out the IE just to try if it works with that, and I'll try to check the forum from a different PC too...
In the "Add your best K-01 photos here" forum is the same. There are photos I can see - and others with the "broken link/file" sign.

"Mysterious" problem solved (by using the search function) see below:

"We have a valid SSL certificate, so just add https to the URL and you'll be good to go. As others have mentioned, using https will prevent you from viewing any content that cannot be served securely, such as embedded photos on domains that don't support SSL. You can still view and photos attached locally or any photos that can be served securely."

Use "http" instead of "https" - Now I can see the original post's photos - very nice!

Last edited by Caver; 01-03-2014 at 02:42 PM.
01-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

From what I see in the video for the MX-1 fitting, these skins are not the same thickness as the originals, this would be rather annoying and ruin the overall look and feel of the camera.
I'm happy with the original skins, I'd be worried that these kits would come-unstuck.

01-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

@MrNewt, you've been helpful to me on another thread today, so I was hoping you could chime in again. I am impressed that you own all three of Pentax's recent non-DSLRs, the Q, MX-1, and K-01. Can I ask you to describe the shooting situations when you use each one? I'm wondering because I have a K-01, K-50, and a Canon S95 compact camera, but have been very tempted to add the MX-1 due to the recent low prices on that camera. I'm not sure when I'd use the MX-1, however, instead of my K-01. That is, the MX-1 is too large to put in my pants pocket and thus I will probably use a camera bag to carry it around. If I'm already carrying around a camera bag, I can take a K-01 and a few DA limited pancake primes to go with it (DA 21, DA 40, DA 70). Why would I want instead to carry the MX-1 with the smaller sensor? For the convenience of not having to swap lenses? For the articulating screen?

Thanks in advance for any comments you, or anyone else out there, has on this. And sorry to hijack this thread a bit.
01-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Why not post your off-topic question in the Pentax Compact Cameras - PentaxForums.com forum where you'd have more chance of current MX-1 owners answering than in a K-01 forum, or maybe PM the OP?
01-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Why not post your off-topic question in the Pentax Compact Cameras - PentaxForums.com forum where you'd have more chance of current MX-1 owners answering than in a K-01 forum, or maybe PM the OP?
Hmm, fair enough, but maybe I'm too lazy to start a new thread! Hah! On the other hand, I wonder if there are other K-01 owners out there who are thinking of adding the MX-1 as a "little brother" but need a bit more convincing. I was initially planning to PM the OP but I find that sometimes having a dialogue that is published for everyone to read may help anyone else out there who could have the same questions as I do.
01-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
From what I see in the video for the MX-1 fitting, these skins are not the same thickness as the originals, this would be rather annoying and ruin the overall look and feel of the camera.
I'm happy with the original skins, I'd be worried that these kits would come-unstuck.

Pentax MX1 ????????????? Pentax MX-1 installation Guide - YouTube
The original skin is not flushed with the top raised margin parts of the camera either. Is true that the new skin is slightly less thicker but personally I do not find it uncomfortable at all. I actually like the grip better of the new skin.
As for the looks, I see nothing wrong with it. I love the way it is and I don't think it ruins anything on the camera.
However, the skin fits very well in the grooves and it doesn't have any space around it. You have to pay attention how you position it.

I doubt there is a way for the skin to just come off by itself - you will have to use a little bit of force to take it off.
As a matter of fact, the glue from the original skin is less stronger. Once you pry a corner it just literally came off both MX-1 and Q.

In the end is a matter of preference. I like it so it stays.
I can always put back the original skins if needed, but I doubt I will ever put them back .

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
@MrNewt, you've been helpful to me on another thread today, so I was hoping you could chime in again. I am impressed that you own all three of Pentax's recent non-DSLRs, the Q, MX-1, and K-01. Can I ask you to describe the shooting situations when you use each one? I'm wondering because I have a K-01, K-50, and a Canon S95 compact camera, but have been very tempted to add the MX-1 due to the recent low prices on that camera. I'm not sure when I'd use the MX-1, however, instead of my K-01. That is, the MX-1 is too large to put in my pants pocket and thus I will probably use a camera bag to carry it around. If I'm already carrying around a camera bag, I can take a K-01 and a few DA limited pancake primes to go with it (DA 21, DA 40, DA 70). Why would I want instead to carry the MX-1 with the smaller sensor? For the convenience of not having to swap lenses? For the articulating screen?

Thanks in advance for any comments you, or anyone else out there, has on this. And sorry to hijack this thread a bit.
I have always liked the MX-1 and its image quality.
I've sold my K-5 so I can get the MX-1 and the Q... and I have no regrets.

I use the K-01 for "serious work" and its mostly dedicated for macro photography.

The MX-1 is with me always in my bag. Even without the bag, for me the camera fits very nicely in the front pocket of my jeans - mind you I don't wear tight clothes. Is a little bulge but it doesn't bother me at all.
In my coat pockets you don't even notice it.

Why do I use the MX-1!? I love its image quality. From my point of view, I have to admit that it almost matches my K-01... in a way I even love it more than the K-01.
Portraits are very nice, macro is very nice... super macro gives some really interesting images... color rendering is nice, sharpness I find it better than the K-01 with the kit lens and when using it in studio environment with flashes optical triggered, results are very, very pleasing to my eye. It has a small sensor, but one would be a fool to underestimate its IQ.
I am planning to make a post under the "Compact Cameras" forum and post a few of the pictures and share my impression in more detail then.

The Q sits next to the MX-1 in the bag and is my toy / muse.
I fool around with it and don't care much about details. I try new things out with it and when I find something interesting, off comes the MX-1. IQ is not as good as the MX-1, but in the right lighting conditions and the lens stepped down a bit it could give some really nice images as well.

And next to them I have my FF camera for even more "serious work", when I want to take That photo... the ME Super will trump any FF camera out there .
So yea... in the end I carry 3 cameras with me most of the time.

Obviously everything I have said is in my opinion and other will most probably think different of it but I hope this answer your questions... somewhat .

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Sorry for the "off" and thanks Heie and mrNewt for the suggestions. I'm using Chrome and/or Firefox and I got the same problem (pictures not showing) with both.
I will dig out the IE just to try if it works with that, and I'll try to check the forum from a different PC too...
In the "Add your best K-01 photos here" forum is the same. There are photos I can see - and others with the "broken link/file" sign.

"Mysterious" problem solved (by using the search function) see below:

"We have a valid SSL certificate, so just add https to the URL and you'll be good to go. As others have mentioned, using https will prevent you from viewing any content that cannot be served securely, such as embedded photos on domains that don't support SSL. You can still view and photos attached locally or any photos that can be served securely."

Use "http" instead of "https" - Now I can see the original post's photos - very nice!
Thanks for posting this here - now I know what the issue is!

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-03-2014 at 04:46 PM.
01-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
The original skin is not flushed with the top raised margin parts of the camera either.
Mine certainly is flush - well within a gnats whisker The video clearly shows the replacement is much thinner.
Still, that was just an observation I made, so please don't be upset as it does not reflect on your own opinion or your choice to use custom skins.
Thanks for posting, I'd not have known about them otherwise.

QuoteQuote:
I have always liked the MX-1 and its image quality.
I agree, the IQ is excellent and there's very little left that would improve and already excellent little camera.
01-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you very much for your comments, mrNewt! You may well have convinced me to take the plunge...