Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Kirk Tuck Still Loves the K-01

San Antonio-based professional photographer Kirk Tuck pulled out the K-01 again to check out the performance of its last-generation sensor. And he came away smiling. BTW, he was using the kit-level DA 18-55mm II zoom for this...

The Visual Science Lab.: I really like the way the Pentax K-01 makes images of Sony RX10 cameras....

Kirk was a late convert to the K-01 but his enthusiasm continues unabated.

01-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Been aware of this post about the K01 for a while.

Unfortunately, he's just taking it as a 'fun/quirky' option and its not making him move to a K3 for example.

Maybe in the future....
Won't be a bad thing if a blogger with a good following writing about Pentax stuff.

edit:
Hmm.. but wait....
a day before this, he put up this piece.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.sg/2014/01/rationalizing-systems-for-coming-year.html#more

I had already suspected that he'd give up Sony from some of his earlier posts with the turmoil caused by the A7/r series of cameras and probable abandonment of the Alpha series and lenses (unless one wants to use a clunky adapter )

Lets see if he gets a K3.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-08-2014 at 10:31 PM.
01-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And more today! Quote: "I think the second biggest attraction of my test camera, the Pentax K-01, must be, for me, the look and feel of images generated by that particular sensor--which I understand to be a modified variant of the ubiquitous Sony 16 meg sensor type used by a wide range of APS-C cameras. Whatever the combination of software, hardware and lens the K-01 creates images for me that are somehow "better" than images from competing systems."
01-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
"Whatever the combination of software, hardware and lens the K-01 creates images for me that are somehow "better" than images from competing systems."
YOW-za! I just ordered a DA 18-55mm II from KEH just to use on my K-01. It's the smallest and lightest zoom I can get that's still pretty inexpensive. I usually use only my DA Limiteds on the K-01. This will allow some additional flexibility.

EDIT: Wouldn't Kirk - or anyone else - get the same image quality and characteristics with the K-30? I've always looked at the K-01 as a mirrorless version of the K-30.

Last edited by Biro; 01-09-2014 at 01:01 PM.
01-09-2014, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
And more today! Quote: "I think the second biggest attraction of my test camera, the Pentax K-01, must be, for me, the look and feel of images generated by that particular sensor--which I understand to be a modified variant of the ubiquitous Sony 16 meg sensor type used by a wide range of APS-C cameras. Whatever the combination of software, hardware and lens the K-01 creates images for me that are somehow "better" than images from competing systems."
Yes indeed and probably a thinner aa-filter infront off the sensor.
01-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
YOW-za! I just ordered a DA 18-55mm II from KEH just to use on my K-01. It's the smallest and lightest zoom I can get that's still pretty inexpensive. I usually use only my DA Limiteds on the K-01. This will allow some additional flexibility.

EDIT: Wouldn't Kirk - or anyone else - get the same image quality and characteristics with the K-30? I've always looked at the K-01 as a mirrorless version of the K-30.
Shutter response of the K01 is faster.
We get than up>down>up shutter response from K30, which is pretty bad for moving subjects imo.

Shooting LCD style and EVF/OVF style also has some differences. (both have its merits and bad points)