Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Understood, well I guess a loupe wouldn't be so bad on the off-chance I decide I want a viewfinder, or if the sun is too bright. And that makes sense, thanks filoxophy! You have some very lovely photos on your Flickr stream.
So unless I can find a really great deal on a K-500 or maybe even a K-5 (checking eBay and craigslist often), I will most likely be going with the K-01. Best price to quality ratio, space-saving design (can fit in certain pockets), and I can use it with the lenses I currently own. If anyone's curious I'll probably be going with the white/black option, or all black option if I find it cheaper.

01-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #17
Forum Member

I have a K-5 and a K-01 (along with a K10D). For manual lenses, I almost exclusively use the K-01. I love "Focus Peaking" (if you don't know what it is, look it up). It works great and is very accurate. You will be amazed by the quality of the K-01 for the price. It is very solid and feels better built than Canikon's upper level cameras.
If you are going to be using manual focus lenses, I strongly advise you to make sure your camera has focus peaking. The K-5 does not. I do not know about the K-500.

For autofocus lenses, I still use my K-5 more. I like a traditional viewfinder and the focusing is much faster. Plus, it has more dedicated dials and buttons, so it is quicker to use.
01-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to know your situation... kids? single? pets? what do you want to take photos of? It would really help give you the best advice. If you have kids, I would recommend one of the dlsr's as the first cam.

Having the dlsr and the K-01 - For straight up fun, I too would recommend the K-01. I would also recommend the 40mm pancake with it, as mentioned you want one AF lens to start with and it comes cheap with the kit. And it is a great little lens. I used my DA40 with my K-01 when I first got it and wow. It was a fun combo. Also a few with the DA40 and some MF lenses in my first link https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/231222-my-first-wave-k-01-shots.html

The M50 1.7 is a great lens, the 135. 3.5 is also a good performer...

Ps I just picked up a cheap Rokinon 85 1.4 manual focus lens and boy it was relatively cheap and a great performer...

WELCOME ABOARD... it will be a fun ride...
01-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #19

Original Poster
Haha I'm currently a single college student so this camera is mainly for fun and taking around with me to various places. I mainly want to photograph random daily things, scenery, nature, animals, and family and friends. Thanks Billy Joe, I'm looking forward to it!

01-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cafazucar Quote
Haha I'm currently a single college student so this camera is mainly for fun and taking around with me to various places. I mainly want to photograph random daily things, scenery, nature, animals, and family and friends. Thanks Billy Joe, I'm looking forward to it!
Well then, as a college student you will love this baby... Get the AF 40mm kit as when you are out for fun quick snaps, you dont want to manually focus....

And for artsy/portrait stuff, If you end up enjoying the Manual Focus lenses... Get that Rokinon 85mm 1.4 I think I paid 249 brand new on amazon...

It does animals and beer really well!

01-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
It's just tough to get the wide end covered economically with manual glass.
By which he means it's almost impossible to. Wide angle lenses on film are normal lenses on crop. even an ultra wide 20mm film lens is still only a little wide on a crop sensor. There are modern manual lenses that can do it, but they cost about the same as modern autofocus lenses that do it.

I know when my first lens was the 50-135 I was getting really irritated that I didn't have anything wider - you can't step back through a wall to get things in.

The 18-55, especially the non-WR version, is dirt cheap, so it can't hurt to pick one up at some point.

But if you'd rather stick with primes -- the 15mm limited is a truly great lens and isn't too much bigger than the 40mm. You can go wider with a fisheye or an ultra wide zoom but the quality won't be the same. But you like artsy, you said, so you might want to consider an 8mm fisheye -- Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye CS Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
01-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, and I will definitely be picking up a Pentax 18-55mm lens. That 15mm limited seems incredible but perhaps a bit beyond me at this point. I'll update this thread when I order the camera/find a good deal

01-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
Forum Member

My K-01 is my go to camera, reconsider getting the pancake 40, instead of that 18-55 thing.

After close to 2 years with it, K-01 continues as the best camera sold under $2000 for photography.. yep bought a spare.
On my belt loop with a pancake it has gone with me to places where DSLR's were blocked/ban'd.

Ricoh/Pentax let the closed minded obsolete it, before it evolved.
01-27-2014, 04:08 PM - 3 Likes   #24

Original Poster
Well...

After some careful thought and having the fortune of coming across an enticing deal, I am now the proud owner of a Pentax K-01

I decided to keep the 40mm XS lens since it's so light and portable. I'm also loving the image quality so far!

I was debating for a while whether I should just get an entry-level DSLR like the K-30, but I think I'll be happier learning the ropes on this and my Pentax ME Super. I might eventually upgrade as my interest peaks and my skills improve, but for now, I really love this camera! Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and encouragement.
01-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Lovely cat. Mine shoots more cats pics than anything else recently
I bought the K-01 when prices fell to $299 in Australia a year ago. I didn't really warm to it and actually put it up for sale.
I wasn't getting any interest locally (and didn't want to post) so I kept it. I recently bought a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which is superb with the K-01, so much so I'm keeping the K-01.
It's also proving excellent for video work (cats again at the moment..)

It is a shame if Pentax have truly abandoned the mirrorless K-mount, I'm not convinced they have though.
01-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congrats on the camera... You will learn much. Good lookin' cat!
01-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks guys. The sunlight really seems to help sharpen her chubby face! I'm looking for a versatile zoom lens now, perhaps a Tamron 17-50mm or maybe even wider like the Sigma 10-20mm. And eventually a DA 55-300
01-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #28

Well

Nice camera.
I am looking for the same thing as well but cant find a decent deal. Where did you buy yours?
01-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #29

Original Poster
I found it on eBay, and I personally saved some money by buying the lens and body separately. It took a lot of patience, basically just consistently checking for newly listed items marked under "Pentax K-01" until I got lucky and found one. The lens I got here on the marketplace.

Depending on the color you want, you might have an easier time than I did. The white and yellow ones seem especially rare/in demand and tend to go for higher prices; I saw tons of the black ones and smurfy blue ones being sold from Japanese vendors. Good luck!
02-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #30

well

thanks so far for the answers; I am really looking forward to this camera.
Right now I have a Nikon P7700, served me very well, I just hope I will not miss all the buttons, dials and the tilt screen too much.

Another thought; I am planning to buy the set with the two kit lenses but would like to buy an 18-135mm Lens with the main aim to just carry around less glass (and therefore sell the kit lenses). In addition I am going to buy the 40mm XS or a 35mm; but thats not so urgent.
What do you all think about the 18-135?!