Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma EF-530 DG ST - Result!

I'd done some researching on this late in 2012 to see if it was possible to use my Sigma EF-530 DG ST flash in PTTL mode (the DG ST is the cut-down one with very limited manual control).

I originally bought this for my Samsung GX-10 but in PTTL mode the exposures were all over the place and I generally resorted to my old Chinon Auto-Thyristor flash which was much more accurate and consistent even if it did require an extra step to test the exposure first. I've been using the Chinon on the K-01 as well.

Anyway - I was sorting through my gear today and came across the Sigma and thought I would put it on my K-01 to remind myself of how to use it's limited manual capability - as sometimes it is useful if I need the extra power (guide number on the Chinon is 28 I think)

It now seems to be working perfectly well in PTTL mode and I can only assume this is down to the one of the firmware updates I recently applied to the camera which is now on 1.04.

The only significant incorrect exposures I have now experienced have been when I have the camera in portrait mode and have the head twisted for bounce flash. I guess you can't have it all, but in all combinations of the following it seems to be working (far better than on my GX-10):

ISO set to 100 throughout
Camera Modes: Auto, P, Av, Tv, M and SCN
Flash set to TTL
Flash Mode on camera set to Manual or Manual + Red-Eye (I'll be honest and admit to uncertainty over how to use the other flash modes).
No exposure adjustment was made in the camera flash mode.

So my already really, really useful camera, just got better and without any extra cost and I'm now able to use that flash properly.

Happy New Year!