Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K01/Samyang 24mm Tilt/Shift

This is a sunrise from this morning. The focus peaking on the K01 does help in focussing and selecting the degree of tilt needed, but it is tricky. I prefer an optical viewfinder though.

Dale

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a very interesting combination! I would love to see some more samples. This sample seems to be promising. Nice big DoF, seems to be sharp
And how does the lens look on the K-01? Do they balance well together, or is the lens too heavy for the relatively small K-01?
01-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This was shot on a tripod so it is not too imbalanced. I like using this lens best on the K3 so I can use both focus peaking and the optical viewfinder to set focus points.

Dale
01-20-2014, 05:07 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And how does the lens look on the K-01? Do they balance well together, or is the lens too heavy for the relatively small K-01?
At least the looks are not so bad, I'd say.

Attached Images

01-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is that your setup? Looks good.

Dale
01-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Is that your setup? Looks good.
Thanks! The setup is simple: A sheet of white paper and an external flash mounted on a light stand with a white umbrella in front (which shows up in the lens reflections). The picture was taken with a K-3 and the DFA 50 macro at f16.
01-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How do you like the Rokinon 24mm tilt/shift so far?

Dale

01-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Dale
Both being MF, I'd like a side by side comparison of this lens and pentax 28mm shift lens as far as IQ and handling.
01-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No one has these in stock.... so I'm on the B&H notification list...
01-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Pentax shift lens does not tilt so a comparison not totally relevant.

Dale
01-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #11

The Pentax shift lens does not tilt so a comparison not totally relevant.

Dale
That is an obvious shortcoming of pentax lens. But for someone that shoots architecture (like myself) and would not use the tilt feature, it would be interesting and worthwhile.
01-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
That is an obvious shortcoming of pentax lens. But for someone that shoots architecture (like myself) and would not use the tilt feature, it would be interesting and worthwhile.
I cannot compare the two lenses directly as I have never handled the Samyang T/S. I used, and liked, the Pentax 28mm Shift a lot in the analog days. However, I find the focal length too long on APS-C for most architectural purposes. According to the test shots that I saw from the Samyang, I'm pretty much certain that the Pentax has a lot more lateral CA and probably also more distortion (which becomes half-moustache-style with extreme shift settings).
I'm sure you can get much better results with a fine wide-angle lens and PP perspective correction in Hugin or a similar tool. Unless you have used such software tools before, you may not be aware that, based on the given field of view of your shot, they can compute exactly what you do when shifting (much better than the rough approximation that Photoshop offers as perspective correction--at least up to CS6 which I still use). In the same workflow step you can get rid of lens distortion. However, during PP perspective correction you lose a little FOV, so you might start with a slightly wider lens. The Samyang 16mm would be a mighty fine lens for this purpose.
In order to get extreme shift (that is, perspective correction) possibilities with a software-based approach I use a panorama setup--not much more awkward that a tripod-based shift lens setup but with unlimited possibilities.
If you want to draw your own conclusions I can send you some test shots from the Pentax Shift (PM me in that case).
01-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #13

Thanks for your input. I actually currently have the Pentax 28 shift lens. Just wanted to see a comparison with the two. I haven't yet been able to test lens to it's fullest. I know the abilities with programs but I am partial on getting it right in the field when shooting and not spending much time behind a comp. Nevertheless, it would be wise to gain experience with both (in field and comp). Thanks again.
01-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by LimitedFan Quote
At least the looks are not so bad, I'd say.
That looks completely badass.
01-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I like it a lot! It's my first tilt/shift lens and I'm still learning how to work with it. I haven't found time to take it outside yet, but I did some close-up tests where I tried to get the focal plane parallel to, but slightly above the ground; see below for an example.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo