Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There's supposed to be a new Yongnuo trigger coming out this year (maybe?) that will allow remote control of the power levels on the YN-560III. It sounds useful, but I'm sure it won't be as cheap as the RF-603/603 II.

How can the K-01 still take good pictures, when the sensor was already "old" two years ago?

02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Mine is also still a happy camper, walking around with my FA31mm.
There you are, Ron! I was wondering when you would show up to the birthday party!

By the way, the trigger voltage on my Holga 12S is 40 Volts! I'm going to try making a safe-sync circuit for it before using it much.
02-06-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HBD K-01! Man, it's hard to believe it came out in 2012...

02-06-2014, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Thanks for the good laugh, I didn't saw that video until now
My pleasure - a fun watch. Also, both the K-01 and EOS-M were initially panned for their AF speed, and for both cams those issues were largely addressed via firmware updates. (I can only, of course, attest to this for the K-01, but I've read it for the EOS-M.)

QuoteQuote:
Short question: Which Yongnuo flash YN-560 III is compatible with Pentax? I dont see it in the Yongnuo ebay store I just found YN-560 II for Pentax... I would be interested in the wireless triggers too - which one is compatible with Pentax/YN-560 III ? Thanks!
What THoog said, basically. More precisely, I bought this one, currently going for $US72, with free shipping - hard to beat - and this RF-603N wireless trigger, which is the Nikon version but, in my experience, works perfectly fine on my K-01. (BTW, Yonguo have two different Ebay accounts and the pricing varies between them.) There's a newer version of the 603 wireless trigger that includes a hotshoe locking mechanism and one other feature I can't recall at the moment (RF-603 II), but I didn't feel I needed that and liked that the one I bought came with a tripod to hotshoe adapter. I might want to try to shoot some macros handheld but with the flash on a tripod overlooking a leaf or something...

I've also verified that the YN-560 III works fine as an optical slave to the onboard K-01's flash, so at the limit you might not even need the wireless transmitter, but hey, it's under $20 shipped and having the built-in receiver is the main claim to fame of the YN-560 III. And doing wireless flash is just cool.

Oh, not to drift further off-topic, but someone (in a "like" comment) asked me to share some shots with the macro set-up pictured above. I haven't shot a whole lot with that particular combo, but I did one especially fruitful "snowflake session" that gave me this one:

Last edited by Doundounba; 02-06-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: clarification
02-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome!!!

The other feature of the RF-603 II is the power switch is on the side, so that it's easier to reach with a flash mounted, and the switch has a 'TX' position to force the unit to be a transmitter without having to detect a camera. This allows the Canon version (RF-603C II) to work on Pentax bodies where the original didn't - which is why the RF-603 has such a low rating in the PF Review section.
02-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
There's supposed to be a new Yongnuo trigger coming out this year (maybe?) that will allow remote control of the power levels on the YN-560III. It sounds useful, but I'm sure it won't be as cheap as the RF-603/603 II.

How can the K-01 still take good pictures, when the sensor was already "old" two years ago?
I already am wanting a cute colored Q7. And the k-01 is inching closer & closer to getting on my list to buy!

---------- Post added 02-06-14 at 04:29 PM ----------

Cuz it's a really good sensor? Ugh! My wish list, which includes a 40, a fast wide zoom, a fast tele zoom and a Q7, now has a k-01 on it!
02-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Cuz it's a really good sensor?
You're talking crazy - it's not even 20 megapickels! How much Birthday Party punch have you had?

I've said it before, but I really love the K-01 (obviously), more so because I did not think I would. My first (and second) impression was "meh". But after a week of smacking myself in the forehead trying to look through the non-existent viewfinder, I finally caused enough brain damage to be able to appreciate the differences. Nowadays, after a couple hours shooting a DSLR, I look forward to getting out the Brick.

02-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #38
Site Supporter

If it had been available in 2009 when I bought my k-x, I probably would have bought it instead. The whole reason I bought a dslr was because my Canon PnS took forever to take a picture. I missed some good pictures of my kids on our first Disney trip. While we can (& have) go back to Disney over & over, I can't turn back the years & make them 6,7 & 8 again!
02-07-2014, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
My pleasure - a fun watch. Also, both the K-01 and EOS-M were initially panned for their AF speed, and for both cams those issues were largely addressed via firmware updates. (I can only, of course, attest to this for the K-01, but I've read it for the EOS-M.)

What THoog said, basically. More precisely, I bought this one, currently going for $US72, with free shipping - hard to beat - and this RF-603N wireless trigger, which is the Nikon version but, in my experience, works perfectly fine on my K-01. (BTW, Yonguo have two different Ebay accounts and the pricing varies between them.) There's a newer version of the 603 wireless trigger that includes a hotshoe locking mechanism and one other feature I can't recall at the moment (RF-603 II), but I didn't feel I needed that and liked that the one I bought came with a tripod to hotshoe adapter. I might want to try to shoot some macros handheld but with the flash on a tripod overlooking a leaf or something...

I've also verified that the YN-560 III works fine as an optical slave to the onboard K-01's flash, so at the limit you might not even need the wireless transmitter, but hey, it's under $20 shipped and having the built-in receiver is the main claim to fame of the YN-560 III. And doing wireless flash is just cool.

Oh, not to drift further off-topic, but someone (in a "like" comment) asked me to share some shots with the macro set-up pictured above. I haven't shot a whole lot with that particular combo, but I did one especially fruitful "snowflake session" that gave me this one:

Thanks Doundounba for the detailed answers, and also for the "insider tip" about the two different Ebay accounts for the Yonguo stuff. I really appreciate it.
Your snowflakes macro is beautiful, I saw it in the other post too (post your best K-01...)

Last edited by Caver; 10-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.
02-23-2014, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote

This is awesome! I can only imagine how to capture a shot like this as we don't get snow where I'm from.
02-04-2015, 01:16 PM - 4 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, man! I knew the K-01's 3rd birthday was this month, but I forgot that it was Monday! Happy Belated Brickday, everyone!

02-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Happy Belated Brickday
To the Bricks from all over the world

------------------
Each time when I see a yellow K-01 I want to buy one. My Pandatrooper K-01 is so lonely

Last edited by Caver; 02-04-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: +info
02-04-2015, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Each time when I see a yellow K-01 I want to buy one. My Pandatrooper K-01 is so lonely
My yellow K-01 is lonely for the blue Smurf K-01!
02-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Still enjoying my yellow backup K-01.
02-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still using my traditional black and silver K-01 as well!