Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-01 malfunction

Taking photos at the Cleveland Botanical Garden Orchid Mania show today, I experienced a strange K-01 malfunction. After taking a photo, the screen went from color to a faded black and white version of the photo just taken. This image froze on the screen, and nothing I could do would make it go away. Even turning off the camera with the off button did not remove the image--strange sight K-01 turned off with a washed-out looking photo remaining on the screen. The only way to remove the image was to physically remove the battery. I then reinserted the battery, and the camera resumed functioning normally. However, this strange malfunction recurred three or four times during use today.

Suggestions or advice anyone?

02-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like the LCDs are malfunctioning. It could be a microcontroller or it could need a whole new LCD panel.
02-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Is your firmware up to date? Because if it's a fault in the instructions from the camera to the screen on what to display & when, firmware updates might address it.

If it's a flaw of the screen itself, then you're gonna need to send it for repair.
02-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #4

Had this exact thing happen with my brand new K-50. I suspect it is the aftermarket battery I was using. Only happened with that battery and never with the OEM that came with camera.

02-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jg45 Quote
I suspect it is the aftermarket battery I was using. Only happened with that battery and never with the OEM that came with camera.
Yes, I'd be curious to see if you were using an aftermarket battery as well. My K-01 freaked out out me once and I had the same problem of not being able to power it off unless I removed the battery. Not sure at the time if I had my Wasabi battery installed instead of my Pentax OEM version. But this past weekend, I was using my K-01 with the Wasabi battery installed, and the shutter speed kept flickering back and forth rapidly whenever I was trying to compose an image. Not sure what was up, but when I removed the battery and reinstalled it, the problem seemed to stop. I think I either have a defective Wasabi or I'll have to see if the OEM battery reproduces the same behavior.

See my earlier thread on the first problem:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/247294-lcd-freaks-out-won...y-removed.html
02-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yes, I'd be curious to see if you were using an aftermarket battery as well. My K-01 freaked out out me once and I had the same problem of not being able to power it off unless I removed the battery. Not sure at the time if I had my Wasabi battery installed instead of my Pentax OEM version. But this past weekend, I was using my K-01 with the Wasabi battery installed, and the shutter speed kept flickering back and forth rapidly whenever I was trying to compose an image. Not sure what was up, but when I removed the battery and reinstalled it, the problem seemed to stop. I think I either have a defective Wasabi or I'll have to see if the OEM battery reproduces the same behavior.

See my earlier thread on the first problem:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/247294-lcd-freaks-out-won...y-removed.html
Well, maybe we are on to something. It was a cheap Chinese import battery: "Digital Video Battery" "For D-L190, no other brand. I will definitely throw out that particular battery, but keep using the cheap batteries I have until/if the problem recurs. I will also follow the suggestion of upgrading firmware, although none of the firmware notes from Pentax have identified this as a firmware problem. It is always possible that the company may have silently addressed a firmware problem.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I will make further postings to keep everyone up to date.

ADDED COMMENT: Anyway, now I have loaded latest firmware 1.04 and installed genuine Pentax battery, and hoping that one of these or both of these solve the problem.

Last edited by ivanvernon; 02-03-2014 at 10:40 AM.
02-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup, those kinds of fixes are what they bury under the bullet point of *improved stability in the list of what the firmware fixes. They usually don't delineate that cameras were freaking out over third party batteries that have slightly different voltages or looser tolerances than the oem.
02-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Anyway, now I have loaded latest firmware 1.04 and installed genuine Pentax battery, and hoping that one of these or both of these solve the problem.
I bet it will, but by doing both, we'll not know whether it was the firmware or the OEM battery that fixed the problem!

02-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I bet it will, but by doing both, we'll not know whether it was the firmware or the OEM battery that fixed the problem!
Well, you are correct, but if it fixes the problem I am content even if I have short cutted the quest for knowledge!
02-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Well, you are correct, but if it fixes the problem I am content even if I have short cutted the quest for knowledge!
Hah, you're right! Just fix the problem however you can!
02-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if the contacts on the "cheap" batteries are plated with cheaper materials that oxidize over time, making the connection to the camera/charger less reliable.
02-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I wonder if the contacts on the "cheap" batteries are plated with cheaper materials that oxidize over time, making the connection to the camera/charger less reliable.
Hmm, interesting theory. But my Wasabi battery is pretty new, just about 6 months old. Maybe it was already a bit defective when I bought it (new). I just think it's weird because Wasabi (and other third party) batteries get such great reviews and yet I have experienced these issues. Maybe I just was unlucky and got a bad batch. I only have 1 generic battery for my K-01 and haven't yet bought extra batteries for my K-50-- I'm wondering if I should skip the Wasabi and just cough up the $ to buy the OEM Pentax battery version,,,
02-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two Wasabis (I think I got the two-and-a-charger deal that everyone else got). No trouble so far, although I suspect one of them gives less shots than my originals (it could be confirmation bias on my part).