Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you look at the specs and release dates, it seems clear that the K-01 and the K-30 were developed side-by-side. I think this is important because if you are making a conventional DSLR in the K-30, it does not make sense to give a similar brief to the designer of the K-01. I guess the brief was something like "make it look completely different from any DSLR on the market". But I also bet that Marc Newson's influence was limited to designing the shell of the camera and the positioning of the main components was fixed by Pentax before that stage.

I actually think that he did a great job of designing the camera. Most of the problems with the overall concept of the camera were probably decided before he was involved. I really think that Pentax or Ricoh got cold feet before it was even released and could have done a much better job of marketing it than they did. Why weren't reviewers given the DA21/40/70 to use with it? Why was sold with the 18-55 and the 55-300 as kits?

02-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Does anyone know if Newson will ever team up with Pentax again?
Hopefully NEVER. For that matter, I hope no other camera manufacturers make the same mistake in hiring him.
02-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
For that matter, I hope no other camera manufacturers make the same mistake in hiring him.
Too late! I think he recently made a million dollar Leica for charity. And I actually like the K-01's design. The only "flaw" I see is the On/Off button sticking out too much and maybe the green/red button placement, but after some use you adjust your grip. The other flaws (like slow burst rate) are not Newson's fault.
I would definitely buy another yellow brick if it has just a few improvements! I like its looks, rubber flap and all