Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 Design Credit

Does anyone know how much of the K-01 was designed by Marc Newson and how much of it was designed by Pentax? It seems fairly obvious that the button placement, screen location, hot shoe, IR sensor, sdcard slot, empty mirror box, and battery location are nearly identical to the K-r, K-30, and follow the design ethos of most Pentax dslrs.
Do you think that Pentax gave Marc a set of guidelines to start, or do you think he just designed the overall shape and textures, and Pentax filled in the rest, or do you think they worked together? I'm inclined to thing that it was a collaborative design effort. I just can't help to try to reverse engineer the design.
I see the buttons, screen, etc and think "Pentax", I see the shapes and textures and think "Newson", and see the rubber flap and think "who designed this"? Was the flap a compromise between Newsons rubber texture wrapping all the way around the side and Pentax engineers trying to make the design work? I know this kind of thing is pretty trivial, but I find hypothesizing about the design process fun and interesting.

Note that I first saw this video only after writing what you read above, and it still hasn't really satisfied in giving me any answers.

02-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc basically designed the camera, nothing more than that. He probably just submitted a bunch of drawings and maybe a mockup. The actual production was definitely in the hands of Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As I see it, Marc would have designed the aesthetic. Pentax then shoehorned and engineered the innards to fit.
The rear button placement is 90% Pentax standard, the top controls were very likely all Marc's design with a few directions from Pentax and sensible ergonomics.
Well, that's my guesstimation of the likely scenario anyway
02-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look at this interview with the Pentax design team, they talk about the back-and-forth process with Newson (who was in London at the time). I think Pentax had a pretty good idea of what the "guts" would be and the general dimensions when they gave Newson requirements, but Newson came up with the final forms, colors, and materials.

(It's not translated - use your favorite translator)
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20120326_519765.html

02-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting that interview. Does anyone know if Newson will ever team up with Pentax again? Like, what kind of contract they have
02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll add this other tidbit. Pentax had shown a "mirrorless" concept at Photokina in 2006 (I think that's accurate - I've found different dates for when it was actually shown, but it was long before the K-01 was released). While radically different from Newson's design, the overall dimensions are similar.

I hope Marc Newson can make a better Pentax K design than that one :) | Mirrorless Rumors

PS: Can you imagine this thing with a curvy plastic Zenitar K2?
02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That camera is hideous. It looks like they designed it in the late nineties.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I'll add this other tidbit. Pentax had shown a "mirrorless" concept at Photokina in 2006 (I think that's accurate - I've found different dates for when it was actually shown, but it was long before the K-01 was released). While radically different from Newson's design, the overall dimensions are similar.

I hope Marc Newson can make a better Pentax K design than that one :) | Mirrorless Rumors

PS: Can you imagine this thing with a curvy plastic Zenitar K2?

That camera is hideous. It looks like they designed it in the late nineties. Like this monstrosity...

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0011656/article/Product-Review-Fujifilm-Instax-20...nt-Film-Camera

Last edited by geomez; 02-03-2014 at 01:38 PM.
02-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Thanks for posting that interview. Does anyone know if Newson will ever team up with Pentax again? Like, what kind of contract they have
Probably only Ricoh and Newson know about the contract. I'll conjecture that it was a one-time deal but they are probably free to sign a new contract, unless Newson subsequently signed a contract with another camera brand. I hope that they never team up again. The K-01 is technologically a good camera that (IMO) prioritized appearance over ergonomics.
02-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
That camera is hideous. It looks like they designed it in the late nineties.
One site I found claimed it was shown in 1997 (maybe they were being sarcastic). I can't see Pentax thinking about a mirrorless film camera without some sort of OVF.
02-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Banned

Marc designed also the flapdoor for the cardslot.
02-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Marc designed also the flapdoor for the cardslot.
Now you're just being mean...
02-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always been of the "c'mon, it ain't that bad" school on the rubber flappy door, but I have to say the one on my Smurf is more stubborn than any of my other Bricks. Maybe some are worse than others, depending on the batch of rubber used.
02-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
Banned

Well I have no issues with my Yellow Brick flap, but it took some time to get used to this.
02-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There's a bit of a knack to it, but I have no real problems with the flap.
02-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
There's a bit of a knack to it, but I have no real problems with the flap.
I agree, it just seems kind of illogical. Like it was a workaround. Like Pentax did it just to preserve the integrity of Marc Newson's design. Which is a fine philosophy to me. Trying to engineer around an aesthetic vs trying to engineer an aesthetic.