Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Viewing aid for rear LCD

I am a new K-01 owner, and I would like some advice about a hood for viewing the rear LCD screen in bright light. The relatively dim LCD is easily the camera's greatest weakness, IMO. I know that I have seen references to such devices, but I cannot find them at the moment. Are any people using them, and are they more trouble than they are worth?

Thanks,
Rob

02-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I just started using the VF-4 from these people:

Photography and Cinema - Store

Adds a lot of bulk to the camera, but it works.
02-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just discovered that the brightness of the LCD screen can be increased, which makes viewing in sunny conditions much better. Still, I am interested in some sort of removable, collapsible hood device. Here is one that I found that seems to fit the bill. I like the fact that it attaches via the tripod socket and that it does not appear to have a plastic sheet to cover the LCD screen itself (at least I hope it doesn't). I already have one attached to my K-01.

Kaiser digiShield Folding LCD Hood for 3" LCD 206075 B&H

Rob
02-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I just started using the VF-4 from these people:

Photography and Cinema - Store

Adds a lot of bulk to the camera, but it works.
Those look to be very effective, but they are too expensive for a camera that cost me $250 used.

Rob

02-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Those look to be very effective, but they are too expensive for a camera that cost me $250 used.

Rob
Well, I also got it to work on my future K-3 and whatever...certain situations it is easier to use LV even if I have an optical viewfinder available...
02-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is a very straight-forward and economical device…
Delkin Devices DU3.0-M BLK

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CsiWiHn_yUqmgMMy5yQGxx4DoA6LlpqoE2tSopBzy...w%3DDEDU30MBLK
02-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Here is one that I found that seems to fit the bill. I like the fact that it attaches via the tripod socket and that it does not appear to have a plastic sheet to cover the LCD screen itself (at least I hope it doesn't). I already have one attached to my K-01.

Kaiser digiShield Folding LCD Hood for 3" LCD 206075 B&H

Rob
I keep wondering why someone doesn't build one of those with a flip-down lens that you can use for fine focusing, like the hoods on twin-lens reflex cameras. It would basically be a folding lupe.

02-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I keep wondering why someone doesn't build one of those with a flip-down lens that you can use for fine focusing, like the hoods on twin-lens reflex cameras. It would basically be a folding lupe.
The VF-4 I posted above does that (if I understand you correctly). I've seen others that do it too. You can use it as just a shade (albeit with giant folded over eyepiece on top) or with eyepiece magnifier that you can hold up to your face...
02-05-2014, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More like this one...where the lens is usually just folded up like one of the flaps, but can be popped into position when needed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
M8 Digital Camera  Photo 
02-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
More like this one...where the lens is usually just folded up like one of the flaps, but can be popped into position when needed.
If wish they had put the LCD horizontal like that .. it'd be perfect on the K-01 brick !