Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rob, if you really wish to make the change then that must truly be your choice.

As with anything, we make choices to suit our individual needs. Somewhere along the way we develop allegiance to a particular brand, even a specific type of camera, and lens types and configurations.

If you really feel the Olympus gear better suits your needs then go for it.

But you will be missed in our community.

Best of luck and happy shooting!

02-08-2014, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The biggest question is what you feel comfortable shooting. I am partial to Pentax ergonomics and gear, but there are lots of folks who love Olympus. You do lose an EV in dynamic range compared to what you are used to shooting, as well as a stop of high iso. That may not be a big deal -- basically the OM-D sensor is at a kx level, which is pretty good.

Olympus has some pretty good lenses. The panasonic 20mm isn't that great though, from what I've seen. 12-50 is slowish, but a decent kit lens.

Good luck with your decision!

(obligatory 15mm shot -- which is somewhat wider than the Olympus 12mm).

02-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

(obligatory 15mm shot -- which is somewhat wider than the Olympus 12mm).

Nice wintery shot Vincent!
02-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

All. I can say is if you've been with Pentax for a while, you know whether or not it inspires you. About that I've got nothing to say.

If it inspires you, don't assume you'll get the same type of feeling for another system. Many people think, when they switch systems, they get to keep what they like plus they get something else on top of it, then after they make the switch they find out you have to give up something to get something, and they're not happy with what they gave up. It's not like your garden where if you add roses, you still get to keep your violets.

But I find most people thinking of switching, are not happy with what they have... so just the fact that you said you're thinking of switching, that's not a ringing endorsement of your relationship with Pentax.

So what I'd say is , evidence points to the probability that you'd be happier with some other system. Read the endorsements we get on here all the time of people delighted with their Pentax gear, enthusiastic about their next chance to use their camera. There's clearly a difference between them and you. After 47 years of Pentax use I'm still excited about every opportunity to use my gear. Days like this when the light is poor I'm seriously disappointed, every time it happens. Sounds like you aren't like that. Time to try something else. You need to find out if it's the camera, or just photography that's bumming you out. Buying a new system can help with that.

02-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter

After shooting in the snow today, a new thought came up.
If you're wearing gloves the K-5ii buttons are hard enough to operate - I cannot imagine the same or more buttons on a body any smaller than this!
02-08-2014, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
If you're wearing gloves the K-5ii buttons are hard enough to operate - I cannot imagine the same or more buttons on a body any smaller than this!
Very good point Jim.

I recall before the Stupid Phones took over the cell phone market there was a trend to make the portable phone smaller and smaller. Reviewers even joked about how it would not be long and one would need a magnifying glass and a toothpick to use one.

Now look at how big they are.
02-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Very good point Jim.

I recall before the Stupid Phones took over the cell phone market there was a trend to make the portable phone smaller and smaller. Reviewers even joked about how it would not be long and one would need a magnifying glass and a toothpick to use one.

Now look at how big they are.
I've been eyeing a 5.8" screened Samsung...
02-08-2014, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Original Poster
Well, I seem to have just bought a Pentax K5 ii.

I know that may seem illogical given how this started. Certainly isn't downsizing. (But I have my Q if I want a small camera.)

What it does mean though is that I can sell the K30 and K01, and it won't be case of having 1 camera for shooting outdoors, and another for shooting indoors, when the loud shutter could be an issue. (I am going to America in the summer and didn't want to have to take both cameras, and didn't know which to take - so that dilemma is solved.)

Also, the K5ii was even quieter than I had expected. I like having more external buttons. And I also like being able to use bracketing with a remote.

So no need to say bye.

02-08-2014, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote

I know that may seem illogical given how this started. Certainly isn't downsizing. (But I have my Q if I want a small camera.)

What it does mean though is that I can sell the K30 and K01, and it won't be case of having 1 camera for shooting outdoors, and another for shooting indoors, when the loud shutter could be an issue. (I am going to America in the summer and didn't want to have to take both cameras, and didn't know which to take - so that dilemma is solved.)

Also, the K5ii was even quieter than I had expected. I like having more external buttons. And I also like being able to use bracketing with a remote.

So no need to say bye.
You made a great choice from my perspective!

I purchased a K5IIs the other day, and it should be at my home when I return from my current lap of North America. I am so looking forward to using it.
02-08-2014, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

So no need to say bye.
I think you made the right choice. You will be very happy with the k-5IIs. You already have a good selection of lenses to unleash its full power. Glad you're sticking around!
02-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. As much as I acknowledged - and others reminded me - that it was my decision, it really was helpful to get some other perspectives.

It also surprised me a little how some people were quick to tell me what I think - "you've clearly made your mind up already" - or seemed to take it personally - "Read the endorsements we get on here all the time of people delighted with their Pentax gear, enthusiastic about their next chance to use their camera. There's clearly a difference between them and you."

Read some of my reviews of my Pentax gear and you'll see that there isn't a clear difference between "them" and me. Some of those enthusiastic endorsements are mine.

However, I can appreciate my Pentax gear while also recognising when it isn't quite right for my needs, or that it isn't as good as something else.

The K30 is a great camera, but I like taking photos at gigs, and if it is a quiet, acoustic performer, the shutter on the K30 is just too loud and would annoy people, and my camera would stay in my bag. The Olympus is much quieter. (But so is the K5 ii.)

The K01 is also a great camera. Unlike a lot of people, I like the design. But it isn't weather resistant, and the auto focus is a little slow. The Olympus is weather resistant and has fast autofocus (like the K5ii).

I also like to keep my equipment small, so the Olympus had a real appeal there. But equally, that is also a significant part of the appeal of Pentax too, with the small primes.

Ultimately, Pentax makes great stuff, but so do Nikon, Fuji, Canon, Olympus and Sony (although I have a somewhat irrational dislike of Sony cameras for some reason).

I bought my first Pentax camera about 8 years ago (ist DS) purely by chance, at a time when I knew nothing about cameras. It just happened to be the camera that they had in the shop, 2nd hand, and which they recommended, and was about the right price. I am not going to stay with Pentax just because I made an uninformed choice 8 years ago. I want to consider what camera/lenses best suit my needs.

Each time, (so far) I have decided to get another Pentax. That is a more significant endorsement of Pentax than if I always bought Pentax without even considering whether a Nikon or Olympus might be a better choice for me.

Thanks again for all the comments.

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2014 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Maybe, but if someone could (somehow) shrink the K5 (and lenses) to the size of the Q, I would be very happy.

I have used the Q with (thin) gloves on.

My trick (both with DSLRs and the Q) is to wear thick gloves over thin gloves. If the thick gloves stop me from using some of the fiddly buttons, I can take them off and still have some protection from the cold while being able to use all the buttons - even on the Q! A very under rated camera, I think.
02-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

So no need to say bye.
Well, welcome back. I'm sure you'll like the K5 II. It really is a fun camera -- more professional feeling than the K30.
02-09-2014, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got an Pentax K100D, a yellow K-01, and some old Ricoh and Pentax film cameras, and an assortment of K-mount lenses, old and new. I also bought into an Olympus E-M5 and a few lenses recently, and I've had enough time to learn my way around it. I think I can give you a good idea what the pluses and minuses are.

I do love the E-M5. It is very much my go-to camera these days. It's beautiful, it's solid... It's not exactly hand-filling (in my full-sized guy hands), but I got used to that. I've come to really appreciate the EVF. I like seeing a scene more-or-less how my camera sees it, and the EVF handles bright sun better than the LCD panel (a problem I've had with the K-01). The tilting LCD is handy. The image stabilization is outstanding. Focus is fast, and it has the best shutter sound I've ever heard. And the lenses... The Lumix 20mm lens is small and can see in the dark. The Bower 7.5mm fisheye is small and solid and a ton of fun. The 12-50mm kit lens is versatile, weather-sealed and has a macro mode. The 40-150mm has nice reach.

It doesn't do as many processing tricks as the K-01. There is no "reversal film" color filter, or "bleach bypass", and the cross-processing filter is much more limited with only two settings (though it does look good)... no interval shooting, no true (multi-exposure) HDR mode, and no focus peaking. About the only in-camera filter that I've found much use for with the E-M5 is "dramatic tone", which is a pseudo-HDR effect and is quite addictive. It doesn't have post-process effects, only live ones. So... If you find that stuff fun to play around with, you might miss it on the Olympus.

Others have said this about Olympus cameras, but it bears repeating: the user interface is a disaster zone. The menu system is like a maze, and I have expended a lot of time and frustration searching through the whole thing multiple times before finally finding where an option was hidden. Even the "Super Control Panel" is awkward compared with the Info Panel on the K-01. It took me days and help from the interwebs to get all the configuration settings the way I wanted them. Once that is done, though, it is pleasant to take pictures with. The physical controls are good, and I can reach all of my basic shooting settings with the OK button and the two command dials. (I do miss the green button once in a while, though!)

Manual focus is another weak spot, as it's always slow and awkward. With most M4/3 lenses the focus ring merely conveys signals to the focus motors in the lens, and it's sort of sloppy and laggy, there's no tactile feedback and there's no physical stop, so you can't just turn the ring till you feel it hit infinity. The flip side is that there are no old-technology lenses with mechanical linkage, so there's never any funky robot action and sounds that the K-01 has.

So... Perhaps I'm making the Olympus sound bad, but I've quickly learned to live with its quirks. I do feel a lot of confidence using it. If somebody sneaked into my house and stole all my Ricoh and Pentax stuff... Well, I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't rush to replace everything. If they made off with my Olympus kit, I'd get replacements ASAP.

However... Keep in mind that's a relatively new, high-dollar camera and all new lenses, compared with a hodgepodge of mostly older K-mount gear and the, um, "eccentric" K-01. (You know the K-01 can take great photos, but the fixed LCD, lack of viewfinder and single command dial are nuisances.) I've looked at the K-30 and K-50 and even the Q7 with keen interest. Pentax DSLRs are formidible, especially at the price. I wouldn't say the grass is "greener" on the Olympus side. It certainly does have a different flavor, though. I do feel like M4/3 is an efficient and modern system, and the E-M5 probably better represents where camera technology is headed.
02-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #29

Original Poster
Thanks Tony.

The Olympus does sound good. Though I think I would miss interval shooting, and Pentax menus/layout etc. And playing with the new K5ii, I feel pretty happy with my choice (and little discoveries like the possibility of setting 5 user settings is a bonus).

I agree with you about the shutter of the Olympus, and the smaller size is definitely a bonus.

But I think the K5ii and the Q make a nice combination (and a bonus that they use the same flash and remote).
02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks Tony.

The Olympus does sound good. Though I think I would miss interval shooting, and Pentax menus/layout etc. And playing with the new K5ii, I feel pretty happy with my choice (and little discoveries like the possibility of setting 5 user settings is a bonus).

I agree with you about the shutter of the Olympus, and the smaller size is definitely a bonus.

But I think the K5ii and the Q make a nice combination (and a bonus that they use the same flash and remote).
Go snag some pics with the new camera and post them for us to see!