Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

I really, really am coveting a custom colored Q7!

02-12-2014, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I really, really am coveting a custom colored Q7!
Thou shall not covet.
02-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

I know. I'm such a sinner.

But those custom colored Qs are so dang cute!
02-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I say get both. You can easily snag an Olympus Pen M43 kit for $100-300. Unless you want the latest and most expensive model you don't have to pay through the nose and the Pens are great little cameras actually. You can even use your MF Pentax lenses on one with a $10 adapter. I have both. I like having the small M43 cam for more discreet shooting but for a lot of my personal work and my paid work I still use a DSLR. Best of both worlds. My personal choice was the EPL1 because it was dirt cheap and it's a great camera. (You can easily get a body for about $100, with an AF kit lens $200.) I do find I need the optional VF. I have bad eyes and I just cannot MF focus well with just a back screen. Also the LCD on the Pen is just not great in bright sunshine, but you can get one for less than $75 now so it's not a horribly expensive add on.

02-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

I know. I'm such a sinner.

But those custom colored Qs are so dang cute!
They are. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying different combination before ordering mind. Ridiculously, in the end I went for the soberest, most straight-laced combination (black & dark blue) so that I might as well have ordered a straight black camera.
02-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
They are. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying different combination before ordering mind. Ridiculously, in the end I went for the soberest, most straight-laced combination (black & dark blue) so that I might as well have ordered a straight black camera.
Oh, no. If I order one, it's gonna be pink and teal or something equally frou-frou.
02-12-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, no. If I order one, it's gonna be pink and teal or something equally frou-frou.
Right on!
02-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I might be late to give a reply and it may get lost in the 3 pages of replies, but I will try....

Been there, done that for me.
Got a GF1 to play around, liked it enough to move to a G3 (a 'pre OMD' if people are not to enamored with styling)
14mm; 20mm and 45mm. (almost like what you are deciding on)
It was fun and nice
AF on the panansonics were never slow compared to Olympus btw.
Oly was irritatingly slow in the EP1-EP2 and when they did 'as good AF' as Panasonic, began to beat a loud drum that they had 'fast' AF, when in fact they only just matched up.

But in the end, after the honeymoon period (1yr), I began to spot weakness in the system.
Started to use it less and eventually not at all, selling off everything in the end.
Why?

1. Size - well its a bit smaller, but it still needs a camera bag the same small sized one that I carry my K30+3 lenses with. So in the end, its the same for portability. I know lots of guys who give up Canikony for m4/3 and that size delta is bigger. For a Pentax user (to me at least) not so for what I lost (more points covered below)

2. Lenses - Good ones are not cheap and basically the same as a Pentax one (some more, some less). Add to that that they are generally center sharp and dependent on software for optical corrections and plastic build means I'm actually paying more for less. (this is subjective of course, but to me that's what I think)

3. Crop factor - I did find too long a working distance if I used anything else other than the 3 native lenses I have.

4. DOF control - Less than APS-C; Take 45/1.8 for example. Nice lens, but for the shallow DOF type shots I want for people shots, its only going to be mostly head and shoulders shots and not half body ones.
75/1.8, yes, need to stand quite far to get an half and full body isolation shot (and the latter can be hard both because of distance and 1.5x more DOF than aps-c)

5. File quality - aps-c (sony exmor) is far better and can take much more PP for the landscapes that I take (EM5 may be better, but I don't think its the same yet)

6. Option of playing with lenses - Yes, m4/3 can take more adapted lenses, but 2x crop is too long for most to make sense. Add to that, the denser pixel density is punishing on most lenses used wide open.

There are lots of options out there now for a small system .
K30 is still highly viable and competitive. (don't need to sell anything)
Then there are the Fujis and the Sony aps-c/FF for the same money. (with their issues and advantages)
For about the same money.

02-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #39

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
What it does mean though is that I can sell the K30 and K01, and it won't be case of having 1 camera for shooting outdoors, and another for shooting indoors, when the loud shutter could be an issue.
I've owned the K-01 for some time now, and I've recently upgraded my K-7 to a K-5iis. I find myself reluctant to give up the K-01. It goes SO well wit that 40XS, and it's also the logical choice, with the focus peaking and all, to use with vintage lenses. Additionally, I think it's a pretty awesome video machine. So I'm staying put, body-wise. Although I sold my Q and am looking forward to a GR. But other than that, I'm done. Except for LBA. Anyway...
02-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #40

Original Poster
Metallic green and brown. Not just same old black, but not too extreme either.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2014 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I might be late to give a reply and it may get lost in the 3 pages of replies, but I will try....

Been there, done that for me.
Got a GF1 to play around, liked it enough to move to a G3 (a 'pre OMD' if people are not to enamored with styling)
14mm; 20mm and 45mm. (almost like what you are deciding on)
It was fun and nice

But in the end, after the honeymoon period (1yr), I began to spot weakness in the system.
Started to use it less and eventually not at all, selling off everything in the end.
If I had bought the Olympus, I wouldn't have enjoyed reading this.

Given that I bought the K5ii though, these comments were very welcome!

Thanks

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2014 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I say get both. You can easily snag an Olympus Pen M43 kit for $100-300. Unless you want the latest and most expensive model you don't have to pay through the nose and the Pens are great little cameras actually. You can even use your MF Pentax lenses on one with a $10 adapter. I have both. I like having the small M43 cam for more discreet shooting but for a lot of my personal work and my paid work I still use a DSLR. Best of both worlds. My personal choice was the EPL1 because it was dirt cheap and it's a great camera. (You can easily get a body for about $100, with an AF kit lens $200.) I do find I need the optional VF. I have bad eyes and I just cannot MF focus well with just a back screen. Also the LCD on the Pen is just not great in bright sunshine, but you can get one for less than $75 now so it's not a horribly expensive add on.
Yeah, I did consider getting one of the cheaper Pens, or similar, and just one prime lens. But actually, I am pretty happy with my Q for that purpose. So was only really interested in the M43 if I thought it could replace the K30. But thanks - certainly was a consideration.
02-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #41
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Persuade me not to jump ship
Just make sure it's a soft landing over the side and more importantly there's a ladder back up should you change your mind.

Pentax may have it's faults, but there's also a lot going for it as a brand too.