Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

Persuade me not to jump ship

Obviously, many people may say that only I can make this choice, but would be interested in other people's thoughts.

I currently use Pentax, but have to admit I am tempted to sell my Pentax gear to get a smaller/mirroless camera - probably Olympus OM-D EM5 or PEN EP-5 - but not sure if I’d regret making the change.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 03:27 AM ----------

I currently have:
Pentax K30, Pentax K-01, and:
DA 15mm, FA 35mm, DA 70mm, DA18-135, F 35-70,
And a couple of old manual lenses I don't use much.

Pentax Q.
standard prime and fish eye lens

So my thought is I might sell these (though might be tempted to keep the Q), and instead get something like:

Olympus OM-D EM5 (with 12-50)
Olympus 12mm
Panasonic 20mm
Olympus 45mm

(Incidentally, the local camera shop has an offer, to get the 45mm and a battery grip free with the camera.)

I've never owned anything other than Pentax, and I like my Pentax cameras. And I do like to use the K01 rather than the K30 sometimes. I like that it is a bit smaller/lighter, and that the shutter sound is a fair bit quieter than the K30, and sometimes I prefer to use the screen rather than viewfinder (especially with a tripod). But I use the K30 if raining, or if I want faster autofocus.

I like the idea of the Olympus mainly because it is smaller (as are the lenses), because the autofocus is faster than the K01 (and the K30?), and because it is quite a bit quieter than the K01, and because I would just have one camera, rather using the K01 sometimes and the K30 sometimes.

Obviously one thing I am losing would be the zoom range of the 18-135 zoom. Is there anything I have missed, that I need to consider? Any other reason I am better off staying with Pentax?

02-07-2014, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've already made up your mind so anything said here would be a waste of time. Bye bye.
02-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, maybe you haven't quite made up your mind, but what you might miss depends on what you intend to do with your photography, doesn't it? Pentax gear seems to be better in more adverse environments, so if you're heading North of Leeds in winter, that might be a consideration. The Pentax gear is arguably better in low light conditions, but that mightn't be a consideration for you. Having a couple of bodies isn't necessarily an issue if you use them for different things. Incidentally, you might find you miss the OVF in the K30, so the new Fuji X-T1 might be worth looking at, rather than the Olympus. One of the regulars here says it's the best EVF he's used to date.
02-07-2014, 08:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
Obviously, many people may say that only I can make this choice, but would be interested in other people's thoughts.

I currently use Pentax, but have to admit I am tempted to sell my Pentax gear to get a smaller/mirroless camera - probably Olympus OM-D EM5 or PEN EP-5 - but not sure if I’d regret making the change.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 03:27 AM ----------

I currently have:
Pentax K30, Pentax K-01, and:
DA 15mm, FA 35mm, DA 70mm, DA18-135, F 35-70,
And a couple of old manual lenses I don't use much.

Pentax Q.
standard prime and fish eye lens

So my thought is I might sell these (though might be tempted to keep the Q), and instead get something like:

Olympus OM-D EM5 (with 12-50)
Olympus 12mm
Panasonic 20mm
Olympus 45mm

(Incidentally, the local camera shop has an offer, to get the 45mm and a battery grip free with the camera.)

I've never owned anything other than Pentax, and I like my Pentax cameras. And I do like to use the K01 rather than the K30 sometimes. I like that it is a bit smaller/lighter, and that the shutter sound is a fair bit quieter than the K30, and sometimes I prefer to use the screen rather than viewfinder (especially with a tripod). But I use the K30 if raining, or if I want faster autofocus.

I like the idea of the Olympus mainly because it is smaller (as are the lenses), because the autofocus is faster than the K01 (and the K30?), and because it is quite a bit quieter than the K01, and because I would just have one camera, rather using the K01 sometimes and the K30 sometimes.

Obviously one thing I am losing would be the zoom range of the 18-135 zoom. Is there anything I have missed, that I need to consider? Any other reason I am better off staying with Pentax?
Ultimately you are correct, you have to make the final choice. I think it may be a better idea to try other camera first. Personally I have been in your boat recently, I went and tested other bodies and glass, FF and others. Frankly no matter how nice they were, it did not feel right. I felt like I was cheating on my wife. The other brands did not improve my photos. The only thing they did was make me miss my Pentax cameras at home in their bags. I implore you to demo a camera first. Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax is a great way to do it. If after you have tested and you don't miss your Pentax, switch brands. The worst thing would be that you sell your gear and then realize the mistake you made and it be too late.

No matter how sexy the Df is or how awesome the a99 is they both have one problem. They are not a Pentax.

My .02 cents. Take it as you will.

02-07-2014, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you do make the change for the reasons you've listed there's nothing wrong with that. Just remember the lenses are what matter, not the cameras. Your Pentax lenses are very good lenses - even the F35~70 and the kitlens. The cameras last a few years at most. The lenses last for decades.

Your Olympus will be superseded by the next better thing very soon. Compare the lenses.
02-07-2014, 08:39 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You've already made up your mind so anything said here would be a waste of time. Bye bye.
Wow, this is how we treat fellow pentaxians?
02-07-2014, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Wow, this is how we treat fellow pentaxians?
Obviously, some of "we" do. I think there's the normal range of human behaviour here, as elsewhere.

PS: the K-3 is quite a bit better than the K30 in terms of AF speed and accuracy, although it's no lightweight. Having said that, coupled with the DA Limiteds, it isn't a great burden to carry around, even with the new 20-40.

02-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's actually not true. Every now and then I get this "I wonder if the grass is greener..." thought, and wonder about a Nikon or whatever. Then do some research, and then find that I wouldn't prefer the alternative, and stick to Pentax.

My first Pentax was an ist-DS. Each time I have up graded I have wondered if that was the time to sell my lenses and switch to a different system, and (so far) I have ended up staying with Pentax. Compared to other DSLRs, the decider was usually in body image stabilisation, and keeping the things smaller (especially the 70mm - who else does a lens like that, that size?)

The Olympus does look good though. On the other hand, selling all of my Pentax stuff would be a paid, and the Olympus is much more expensive than the Pentax cameras with similar image quality (but not as small).

So I really have not made up my mind. I make up my mind on a daily basis - but in opposite directions.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 03:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, maybe you haven't quite made up your mind, but what you might miss depends on what you intend to do with your photography, doesn't it? Pentax gear seems to be better in more adverse environments, so if you're heading North of Leeds in winter, that might be a consideration. The Pentax gear is arguably better in low light conditions, but that mightn't be a consideration for you. Having a couple of bodies isn't necessarily an issue if you use them for different things. Incidentally, you might find you miss the OVF in the K30, so the new Fuji X-T1 might be worth looking at, rather than the Olympus. One of the regulars here says it's the best EVF he's used to date.
If the weather sealing on the K30 was better than on the Olympus that would be a very significant consideration. Is that definitely true? (Not challenging you, I just don't know.)

Looking here - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review - the Olympus seems to compare quite well to the K30/K-01 (though the K5 does seem better).

On the other hand, thinking of the future, upgrading to a new Pentax with better ISO performance is likely to be cheaper than upgrading to the latest Oly to get the best ISO performance. So another point in favour of Pentax.

I think I have dismissed Fuji because not weather sealed, and also the same problem as the K-01 - not great auto focus.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 04:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Ultimately you are correct, you have to make the final choice. I think it may be a better idea to try other camera first. Personally I have been in your boat recently, I went and tested other bodies and glass, FF and others. Frankly no matter how nice they were, it did not feel right. I felt like I was cheating on my wife. The other brands did not improve my photos. The only thing they did was make me miss my Pentax cameras at home in their bags. I implore you to demo a camera first. Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax is a great way to do it. If after you have tested and you don't miss your Pentax, switch brands. The worst thing would be that you sell your gear and then realize the mistake you made and it be too late.

No matter how sexy the Df is or how awesome the a99 is they both have one problem. They are not a Pentax.

My .02 cents. Take it as you will.
Yes, indeed. That has always been my response to Sony, Nikon and Canon. Just didn't like them as much as Pentax.

I spent about an hour in the camera shop, just playing with the Olympus and Fuji. Didn't really get on with the Fuji, but couldn't work out if that was just because things were where I expected them to be etc. The Olympus I found a bit easier - though not as many dedicated buttons as Pentax. (Though I believe you can customise a lot.)

But didn't try any lenses, and messing about in the shop isn't the same as actually using the camera.

But I do have a soft spot for Pentax.
02-07-2014, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must say the K3 is an entirely different class of camera than anything you've mentioned owning. I've had a K10D, K-01, Q and Q7 and now the K3. It is astonishingly fast, sharp, comfortable in the hand, remarkably maneuverable for a solid dSLR, low-light autofocus is excellent, the viewfinder and the new diopter mechanism is so much better it actually allows me to shoot right-eye for the first time in 10 years, the Live View is better than K-01 (and I presume K30). It has the new Milbeaut processor - does the Oly? The DA15 is a -- special -- lens and the DA70 and FA35/2 are both exceptional.

My advice is to somehow get your hands on a K3 and mount your DA's and the FA on it. You'll be surprised.
02-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you do make the change for the reasons you've listed there's nothing wrong with that. Just remember the lenses are what matter, not the cameras. Your Pentax lenses are very good lenses - even the F35~70 and the kitlens. The cameras last a few years at most. The lenses last for decades.

Your Olympus will be superseded by the next better thing very soon. Compare the lenses.
Yes, I have to admit, that is one thing I haven't done. So probably should.

I like the 35-70. Currently on my 3rd copy. (One got stolen. The other I sold when I got the 18-135 thinking I wouldn't need it any more. But sometimes I'd rather go out with the 15mm and the 35-70, rather than the 18-135, so I bought it again.)

This review has the Pentax 40mm as the winner of the pancake lenses

Oh, I forgot to mention I have the 40mm xs. Probably because I was planning to sell it, thinking I couldn't justify keeping both the 40mm and the 35mm. But with the 40mm on the K-01 I can fit it in a coat pocket.

Hmmm, looks like possibly another point for Pentax. (Though maybe I should also just do some more reading about the Olympus/Panasonic lenses.)

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 04:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I must say the K3 is an entirely different class of camera than anything you've mentioned owning. I've had a K10D, K-01, Q and Q7 and now the K3. It is astonishingly fast, sharp, comfortable in the hand, remarkably maneuverable for a solid dSLR, low-light autofocus is excellent, the viewfinder and the new diopter mechanism is so much better it actually allows me to shoot right-eye for the first time in 10 years, the Live View is better than K-01 (and I presume K30). It has the new Milbeaut processor - does the Oly? The DA15 is a -- special -- lens and the DA70 and FA35/2 are both exceptional.

My advice is to somehow get your hands on a K3 and mount your DA's and the FA on it. You'll be surprised.
Hmm, I might wait until the price comes down, but... sounds good.
02-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oly has some nice lenses but I think you will find Pentax still has them beat.
02-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

It's human nature to look at what our neighbors have & covet that. The thing that only you can answer for yourself is whether the positives of the Olympus outweigh its negatives. Rent what you are considering buying. Put all your Pentax gear away. Do not use it. Use only the Olympus gear you rented. See where you stand & how you feel after that.
02-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Seems the 12-50 and those three primes is a redundant set? I believe the 12-50 is sealed but f/6.3 at the longer end, which is disappointing. Their primes are appealing, but no less so than Pentax. Personally I don't like how m4/3 autocorrects its lenses before you see the result; that wasn't true with raw before, but it sure was with jpeg. I dislike their choosing to do it in software rather than making top-notch optics for the sensor - probably not a big deal in the end but it affects how I feel. I'm also not a fan of EVF, though I owned a Lumix G1 for a while and liked its real-time exposure and WB so I get the appeal somewhat. Their new sealed tipping screen is nice, can't argue with that!

It's really a personal-preference thing, and I'm really happy with my Pentax gear.
02-07-2014, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #14

I've felt like this on occasion, but I always manage to reign in my covetousness. What usually does it for me is to actually lay my hands on the gear I'm considering, talk to people who use that gear and visit their forums. Almost always I find that I'm happier sticking with the devil I know.
02-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Easy for me to say, but do it. It's the only way to tell if you're logic is right (for you).

Though I have to admit, I was this close to buying an EOS 600D kit owing to the price being low now and the better manual video features (plus the Magic Lantern options). But once I heard the shutter sound I was cured of that hankering ..