Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

K01 v K5 noise

I have heard on many occasions that the Pentax K-01 is essentially a K5 in a smaller body, without the mirror, and so just assumed this was the case.

However, I was just comparing noise of the Olympus OMD E-M5 with Pentax cameras here:
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review

But I was surprised to see that the K5 seems noticeably better than the K-01 (and K30).

So is it just not true that the K-01 is a K5 in a smaller body without the mirror?

02-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rob_k20d Quote
I have heard on many occasions that the Pentax K-01 is essentially a K5 in a smaller body, without the mirror, and so just assumed this was the case.

However, I was just comparing noise of the Olympus OMD E-M5 with Pentax cameras here:
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review

But I was surprised to see that the K5 seems noticeably better than the K-01 (and K30).

So is it just not true that the K-01 is a K5 in a smaller body without the mirror?
Some sources say it's the "same" sensor. Others say the sensor is "very nearly the same" between the K-01 and the K-5. Perhaps the algorithms in the firmware make for different results?
02-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

They are not the same cameras K5 is far superior in many ways
higher color bit rate
faster shutterspeed
weather sealed
wider expanded iso
faster cont. shooting
greater exp comp
better flash
flash sync port
wired remote port
greater controls
and so on

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 02-07-2014 at 08:57 PM.
02-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax themselves stated that the "Prime-M is a lower ISO engine than the one in the K-5" but with an enhanced user experience. Still, I double that there is any visible difference in 99.9% of the cases.

02-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I sold my K-5 else I would have posted a direct comparison but based on my experience, I doubt you will notice any difference in RAW IQ till reasonably high ISO say ISO 1600 or 3200. May be over that K-5 will have slight advantage due to 14-bit output vs 12-bit RAW of K-01.

Update: I curiously looked at DXO after posting above and interestingly, as per their SNR chart, K-01 seems a little better at manufacture specified ISO starting ISO 1600. Not sure why, a possible reason could be that the measured ISO is slight different between K-01 & K-5.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-NEX-6-versus-Pentax...___832_783_676

Go to measurements -> SNR

Last edited by yusuf; 02-07-2014 at 10:35 PM.
02-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

They are the same at high iso. The differences are visible to my eye at low iso (80), where the dynamic range on the K5 is better, but at high iso I couldn't tell the difference between the files.
02-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In jpg the Olympus is very well, but with RAW the Pentax wins. So far as I know the K-5 still wins when it comes to iso 3200 and up starting developing from RAW.
02-08-2014, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two reasons, I think
1) Sony may changed the sensor throughout its production run. So even if it is labelled the same, there might be small tweaks and improvements. Someone mentioned that Sony does this with its SD cards - even if its the same label/series, the individual cards might be made out of parts from different bins, which affects their performance.
2) Every camera brand does something to the sensor. The sensor might have different filters in front of it, are hooked up to different circuits (different buffer, CPU, which limits bit depth), data interpretation, etc. I think I even read somewhere that the camera body can affect the amount of noise, depending on its thickness and materials

Keep in mind also that even if you shoot raw, its not necessarily raw. In this day and age, the raw data itself gets interpreted a little. Compression is the most obvious example, but it should have no effect. Some cameras have "quiet" NR built into the raw files, and there was debate about in-raw sharpening. I wouldn't be surprised if other things are also done to the raw. Its not as raw as we think. Not to mention jpegs, which are basically a playground for the engineers! Everything from WB, colour calibation, lens corrections, NR,.. list goes on

Oh, and the K-5 has higher bit rate, which is also why the K-5II couldn't get the upgraded CPU. The K-01 and K-30 have that processor, which is faster, but doesn't allow such high bit depth. This is also why the K-5II doesn't have focus peaking, and has different video capabilities - only the newer processor would allow it.