Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
I say go for it. It'll be great for all your manual lenses. The afternoon sun does make it hard to see the screen sometimes (I'm in FL) but I can usually estimate pretty accurately; you could always buy a loupe later if you wanted it. And I suggest you choose the color you'll be happiest with, you might have to wait a bit but you can find some good deals on eBay and the Marketplace here. Also, definitely get it bundled with the 40mm XS!

02-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #17

I've been using my K-01 for ten months and I think it's great! I have about 35 Pentax lenses in all mounts that I have used. My favorites are the 35 mm f 2.4 DA, and an
older 28-90 mm FA. Best accessory I bought was a Hoodman Loupe. Made a tremendous difference as I kept hitting my forehead at the start. LOL! It has very nice
video- I use the M mode in movies. Can't wait to make some interval movies.
02-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Meh, I've never been impressed with it's movie / video recording for anything but close proximity shallow DoF use. Anything else is just not sharp enough even with my sharpest lens.
Photos are terrific, video not so much.
02-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I've done some video. Still have to edit one that is in english, so just a Dutch version, but it is to my likings. I mostly do the video with the FA31mm.

02-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
Inactive Account

A K-01 was my first new Pentax six months ago since when I bought my ES II - 'a few years back'. I use it with all my M42s exclusively. Leave the 30120 adapter in 'permanently'. Focus Peaking really makes the difference - a pleasure to use with the great Legacy Takumars. I paid $325 new for it then - and I think a few new ones are still around for that price if you look. Used maybe $220 or so...

However, while I love my K-01, I have to think it might be a tougher choice today with the K-500 and 18-55 kit lens selling for $399. Sell the kit lens for say $70 - and you are at the same cost as a NOS K-01. I suggest others more knowledgeable than me might comment on the differences - but to me it seems the only thing the K-500 lacks compared to the K-01 is stereo mic and (maybe?) HDMI out. But you get the OVF when you want it, and CIF.

Either K-01 or K-500 - have fun!
02-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Stearns Quote
Since the k-5 and k-01 share the same great sensor they compliment one another well.
Don't the K-5 and K-01 use the same battery, too?
02-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Don't the K-5 and K-01 use the same battery, too?
Yes, they both use the same battery.
02-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I've done some video. Still have to edit one that is in english, so just a Dutch version, but it is to my likings. I mostly do the video with the FA31mm.
Ron, video is suitable for close proximity shooting such as your interviews (though they do make skin look pasty). It's the long shots that show the weakness of Pentax's video with the line skipping which results in massive loss of detail and horrid aliasing (jaggies and moire all over the place).
Yes I know YouTube sucks and ruins most of the quality we upload, but I have tried, oh how I've tried to get acceptable video from the K-01, but for me it just doesn't cut it.
When/if I buy a new dlsm, it very like won't be a Pentax because these days I wan't great stills and decent video in one package (and I think most ordinary photo folk are the same in this regard)

02-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Ron, video is suitable for close proximity shooting such as your interviews (though they do make skin look pasty). It's the long shots that show the weakness of Pentax's video with the line skipping which results in massive loss of detail and horrid aliasing (jaggies and moire all over the place).
Yes I know YouTube sucks and ruins most of the quality we upload, but I have tried, oh how I've tried to get acceptable video from the K-01, but for me it just doesn't cut it.
When/if I buy a new dlsm, it very like won't be a Pentax because these days I wan't great stills and decent video in one package (and I think most ordinary photo folk are the same in this regard)
I know, but some off the work is done by youtube. They ruin practically all stills in the video. Not a single one looks sharp anymore. But video is also about the feeling. My style of video is closerange, so it suits me well for this.
02-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #25
JPT
Pentaxian

I think the K-01 makes a lot of sense if you have a number of manual focus lenses. You say you don't use the K-5's live view much, but the K-01's live view is actually better than the K-5 and it has the focus peaking function that the K-5 lacks. While autofocus was slow at the beginning, firmware updates have made it much better and CDAF is front and back focus issues, so I personally find it easier to deal with than messing around with lens calibration.

It's true that any of the current model DSLRs will do live view as well as the K-01 and they have a viewfinder as well. However, they still don't let you do magnified live view or focus peaking through the viewfinder and unfortunately no Pentax does.

Regarding the blue K-01, I've seen it and handled it and think it's the least attractive one they made. I got the black one in a moment of conservatism, but I've been wishing I got the yellow one ever since. It just makes the design look more balanced and lenses of any colour look good on it, whereas silver lenses look a bit weird on the white-bodied variants, including the white/blue one.

Finally, it's one of a kind. If they make a successor, it's likely to look very different. So I say go for it but keep your K-5.
03-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #26

second camera to the studio: K-01

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
-Does a K-01 make sense if you have a K-5? Yes.
I need second camera to my new studio. As a speed-passport-ID-photos from camera on a tripod.
I have K-5IIs, and my brain is over-hot from thinking about it: take one or not take...
Maybe next K-5IIs, maybe new K-3, maybe old K-01.

==
I am waiting for successor of K-01. Even under Ricoh-brand, but with mount* K and APSC.
* in polish the term is bayonet

Thanks for topic.
03-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
However, they still don't let you do magnified live view or focus peaking through the viewfinder and unfortunately no Pentax does.
Umm, optical viewfinders,.. why would you want to magnify them? That's what the live view on the LCD is for.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
It's the long shots that show the weakness of Pentax's video with the line skipping which results in massive loss of detail and horrid aliasing (jaggies and moire all over the place).
ORLY ?

All shots at 400mm, except the second last, which is at 800mm.
Reviewing the whole of each shot tells me I need a Rails kits, Focus & Matte box, and a even longer tripod handle.
I think resizing down to the online deliverable frame sizes does more to introduce jaggies then anything else.

Interviewees seem to relax in front of a K-01, they look at how small it is and don't feel as intimidated.

jjjfff: you're gonna want to keep all those lenses,....

A K-01 soaks up Manual glass so damn well, especially post firmware 1.04. It's a camera that just keeps surprising you. I was doing Behind Scenes shots between lighting set-ups on Saturday last, being able to push the Raw stills around in Lightroom to match the stills pulled out of the RED's footage has been amusing, mostly from the reactions of the Red's owner, and the guy with the 7D doing actors head shots, both being suprised that such a 'budget' camera could get the shots it was.

From what you described in your original post, keep the K5 for when you need to be seen to be a professional, and the K-01 with a favorite lens as your everyday camera.

Use the handgrip described by others, but remember to keep your elbows pulled in to the sides of your body for maximum stability.

The K-01's limitations for video, are the low data rate of the h264 Codec, no clean feed HDMI out during recording (and the HDMI out in playback is not full HD), others will add the lack of sensor shift based SR, and lack of autofocus during video once you've started recording, but that's a problem for all SLR based cameras - you can use the AE-L/AF button for AF during recording, but in my experience, it engages the AE lock while focusing, and then doesn't unlock it until you hit the button again after your stop recording.

As for the LCD in bright sunlight,.... wear a black t-shirt, each time I've had glare issues, I've been in a light coloured shirt, and the shirts reflection on the plastic in front of the LCD as caused me more problems then anything else.
If the sun is in the shot, trust the cameras exposure bargraph.

K-01, K5, and the K3, all share the same battery type.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 03-31-2014 at 10:00 AM.
03-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
ORLY ?
Aside from the SR mess, that's pretty good. My K-01 doesn't produce video like that unless everything is very close. Distance stuff results in a smeary jaggy mess.
04-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #29
Pentaxian

:lol,... that's not SR, it's heat haze. I don't use the SR at all for video.
04-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Really?
Of course I recognize the heat haze, geezsh!
But it does sure look like some SR wobble in that vid to me... Especially during the clip of the couple and the dog.

Well, now we have a new way to describe Movie SR. It induces a heat-haze effect

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 04-01-2014 at 03:34 AM.