Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Some advice about buying a K01?

Hello, I'm new here, I've read the threads about this a bit, but I thought I would ask a few specific question and some general advice.

I currently own a k10d and a k5. I've been a pentaxian since my dad gave me his mx with a few lenses. I have accumulated a lot of glass, all smc manual, through ebay, garage sales... I have: K28/3.5 K30/2.8 K50/1.4 K50/1.8 K135/2.5 K200/4 M28/2.8 M30/2 M40/2.8 M50/1.7 M85/2(damaged) M120/2.8 A50/1.4 A50/1.7, plus 18-55 kit lense. As you can see there is a lot of redundancy in there, some lenses I obtained as part of lots.

I want to reduce all this and I'm going to sell the k10 while it is still worth something on the market. I want to sell most of the M lenses since I like the feel of the K lense so much better, and it seems Ks are generally a little better than Ms (this will raise objections I'm sure).

But I recently saw the price drop on the k01 and I'm thinking of buying one. Here's a few points where I would like your feedback:
- does it even make sense to get a k01 if I own a k5? I like the idea of the slightly more portable package, time lapse, cool design, I don't mind the lack of viewfinder on my lumix point and shoot but I don't really use the live view on the k5. I would use the k01 for street photo, where using a screen is somewhat more convenient and keep the k5 for baby portraits. K01 may be better for video?

- is the screen really dim in full sun light? I rarely use auto focus, so seeing the screen well is necessary
- if I get this slightly smaller body, should I keep a few M lenses to keep it smaller?
- I feel that having the camera against your face help stabilize in low light, is it more unstable holding it at arms lenght?
- the k01 can be found new on Japanese sites for about $320 (blue only), I've never bought a used digital camera, is the saving, maybe $50, worth it (but I do like the yellow)?
- is it too late to get this camera, should I wait in case another K-Mount "smaller" body comes out (this will probably not happen)? Or should I just sell everything and get a k3, or wait for a FF (haha!)?

These are all very subjective questions, I look forward to your subjective answers.

Thanks

J

02-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjjfff Quote
- does it even make sense to get a k01 if I own a k5? I like the idea of the slightly more portable package, time lapse, cool design, I don't mind the lack of viewfinder on my lumix point and shoot but I don't really use the live view on the k5. I would use the k01 for street photo, where using a screen is somewhat more convenient and keep the k5 for baby portraits. K01 may be better for video?
The k-01 is a lot better for video, plus it has focus peaking so it's easier to focus manually with it. For me personally the slow AF and lack of a viewfinder is a bit of a turn-off, though. Plus it really isn't any more compact than a DSLR.

Also, FYI the K-01 was discontinued well over a year ago, so you'd be lucky to find a new one. In any case, it'll be cheap used or new

As for the screen and the handling, that's covered in our in-depth review:
Pentax K-01 Review - Review Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The KO1 not too bad as a back UOP camera to the K5, i fjust based on something you can carry by pocket. Otherwise I would take note of Adam's comment
02-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In the very brightest sun and where the sun is in front of you, the K-01 screen is impossible to use for focussing without a loupe (I have a Hoodman Loupe). But honestly, this represents about 10% (if that) of shots, any other time there no problem (for me). I have never held the camera at arms length even though I'm long sighted, I wear glasses. I like how I can use the camera low without having to get low myself and look through viewfinders.
No it's not compact, it's almost the same size as a dslr. You can still find new ones on eBay, in fact I was looking recently and saw lots of the 'smurf' blue ones on eBay from Japan for around the AUD$350 mark.
I don't think the K-01 would be better for video than a K-3.

02-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've been using the k-01 for about a year now. I picked one up dirt cheap during the fire sales last spring. Although I caught myself bringing the k-01 up to my eye during the first few days, I didn't find myself missing the OVF too much. Focus peaking is great, especially with all my old manual glass. And since the last firmware update, video is much improved.

I picked up a k-5 ii a couple of weeks ago and I've really been enjoying shooting with it. So much so I'm really struggling to find any reason to hang on to my K10d.

Since my acquisition of the k-5 ii, I've left my m42 adapter on the k-01. Now it's my go-to manual lens camera.

Since the k-5 and k-01 share the same great sensor they compliment one another well. And since you already have a good collection of manual glass, I would go for it.
02-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There are a couple K-01 cameras available in the marketplace on these forums right now.
The blue Japanese one is the latest production run, so they are actually brand new, but you need to import it from Japan. I love my yellow brick, and would recommend you buy a yellow one - its just so special!
Lots of questions you posed there..
-Does a K-01 make sense if you have a K-5? Yes.
-Does holding it at arms length make it less stable? Possibly, depends how shaky your arms are. For optimal sharpness you want to use a tripod or monopod anyway.
-Screen bright enough? I have the K-01 for a while now and very rarely had problems. Only on bright summer days where my face would reflect on the screen. There are many things you can do, though. Like you can increase screen brightness in the menu, you can buy special foil to cover it, you can wear a hat, you can buy a shade or loupe.. many threads about this. Some people find glare to be a problem, but I think the majority can handle it.
-Is the K-01 compact: i think so. It is the most compact K-mount, and its brick-dimensions make it easy to pocket, much easier than a DSLR with all its curves. I doubt Pentax will make a smaller K-mount soon, there are no rumours at all. If you want smaller, get a micro four thirds (but these often have big lenses) or a Pentax Q.
-Pentax M lenses? Yes, these are a joy to use on the K-01, at least for many of us here.

Other tips? Try to get the K-01 with DA 40mm XS - its a wonderful, thin lens and makes the camera very compact. The 40mm XS also delivers sharp photos. Only downside to the K-01 is its speed (burst mode and AF), but if you have a DSLR on hand, you've got that covered.
02-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both the K-01 and a K-50. I bought the K-01 new, at the same fire sale with the 40mm pancake lens. I love it, but found there were some situations where it just didn't seem to meet my needs, so I got the K-50 with the 18-135WR. I am thrilled with it, but there are situations where the K01 serves better. Even in my limited experience, they have complementary features. I am quite pleased to have both.

02-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I found the K-01 made it so much easier to use MF glass again… focus peaking on the screen is a really amazing feature.
02-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
Forum Member

I've never had a problem seeing the screen in sunlight. Also, in addition to focus peaking, you can zoom on the screen while focusing to better see your focal point. I use a K-01 with mostly manual lenses, and it works great.
02-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had a K-01 since the very beginning and the SMC DA40 Limited instead of the XS. Of all the Pentax cameras I've owned through the decades I really think this one is my favorite.

The only thing Ill add is - don't hold it at arms' length. I wish Pentax would have put a 'How to hold it' section in the manual as they did in the old days. Instead make a comfortable stance, bring your elbows in next to your body, cradle the bottom under your left palm and lightly grip nthe right side. If you are using a manual lens, grip the focus ring with your index finger and thumb like the old days and roll the ring to focus. Bring the camera up to just under your nose and about six inches in front of your face. Look slightly down at the LCD, compose, focus and shoot.

Using that stance and grip is very nearly as stable as the three-point with the brace against the forehead.

I've also seen people shorten the neckstrap and pull outward until it is tight to make a further brace. Doing that all day makes my neck hurt, but my grip is comfortable, natural and stable.
02-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Love my K-01s! All three of them! Great for legacy lenses!
02-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The only thing Ill add is - don't hold it at arms' length. I wish Pentax would have put a 'How to hold it' section in the manual as they did in the old days. Instead make a comfortable stance, bring your elbows in next to your body, cradle the bottom under your left palm and lightly grip nthe right side. If you are using a manual lens, grip the focus ring with your index finger and thumb like the old days and roll the ring to focus. Bring the camera up to just under your nose and about six inches in front of your face. Look slightly down at the LCD, compose, focus and shoot.

Using that stance and grip is very nearly as stable as the three-point with the brace against the forehead..
Yes, Exactly how I shoot the K-01 90% of the time. It's the most comfortable.
02-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes, Exactly how I shoot the K-01 90% of the time. It's the most comfortable.
I hold mine that way too. I bought my K-01 because I wanted to use my legacy manual-focus lenses, and I found focusing my DSLR difficult with them, even after adding one of the best aftermarket focusing screens. The K-01's focus peaking works exactly as I expected it to.

Only lately I've been shooting it with an A 28/2.8 set at hyperfocal, a tele-wide finder, and the LCD turned off. so I brace it against my face, old-school. I also have a wrist strap to provide more stability.

I bought my K-01 two years ago and paid full price for it. I have never regretted it.
02-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes, Exactly how I shoot the K-01 90% of the time. It's the most comfor
Ditto. Especially with larger legacy glass, anything bigger than 85mm.
02-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jjjfff Quote
But I recently saw the price drop on the k01 and I'm thinking of buying one. Here's a few points where I would like your feedback:

- is the screen really dim in full sun light? I rarely use auto focus, so seeing the screen well is necessary
- if I get this slightly smaller body, should I keep a few M lenses to keep it smaller?
- I feel that having the camera against your face help stabilize in low light, is it more unstable holding it at arms lenght?
- the k01 can be found new on Japanese sites for about $320 (blue only), I've never bought a used digital camera, is the saving, maybe $50, worth it (but I do like the yellow)?
- is it too late to get this camera, should I wait in case another K-Mount "smaller" body comes out (this will probably not happen)? Or should I just sell everything and get a k3, or wait for a FF (haha!)?
On a good price it is a marble. So yes to that purchase.

So color the nail of your right thumb so you will remember wich finger to use on the release button. This and all the tips you had will give you the best way to handle the K-01 and hold it stable.