Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Inactive Account

I use my K-01 for kids soccer all the time. Took me a little while to get the hang of it but it can work. A couple of tips -

- pre-focus by anticipating where the action will be
- shoot 3-4 shot bursts
- get a monopod, can be had for less than $20
- position yourself so you get shots where the players eyes are visible
- pay attention to lighting shoot with the sun behind you so the action isn't in the shadows
- its digital, you'll throw away a lot of shots

I shoot with an old FA80-320 which is decent up to about 300mm.

Last edited by Rob22315; 02-19-2014 at 07:22 PM.
02-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
I use my K-01 for kids soccer all the time. Took me a little while to get the hang of it but it can work. A couple of tips -

- pre-focus by anticipating where the action will be
- shoot 3-4 shot bursts
- get a monopod, can be had for less than $20
- position yourself so you get shots where the players eyes are visible
- pay attention to lighting shoot with the sun behind you so the action isn't in the shadows
- its digital, you'll throw away a lot of shots

I shoot with an old FA80-320 which is decent up to about 300mm.
Basicly you tip (and that goes for all camera's) is learn your subject and camera. I think very true.
02-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Went back tonight for a soccer game at the Army-Navy Academy in Carlsbad, California. High school, with a really nice field. Able to get right down near a corner, about 20 feet from the touchline. Took my K-01 with 55-300mm lens, and a monopod. Left the lens at 180mm for most of the pictures.

A previous attempt, about a week ago at 1/1000 failed, the lights were too dim. Tonight, used 1/320 and 1/250, all at f/4.5, and the camera chose mostly ISO 6400 and some at ISO 3200. No problem at all with focal length, just not enough light. For soccer, in future, will try for daytime or twilight games.

Almost all of the pictures tonight were unsharp. The autofocus worked quickly enough -- it's just that the play moves so fast out of the small depth-of-field area. I also tried burst mode, but didn't like it... and continuous tracking focus, which just didn't work fast enough to keep up. Lastly, tried manual focus mode, but I just couldn't keep up. Will have to practice! Ended up just following the goalie, easier than trying to follow oncoming plays.
Attached Images

Last edited by jon404; 02-21-2014 at 01:18 AM.
02-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #19
Inactive Account

If there's nothing sharp in the photo then it isn't a focus problem, its probably motion blur. Did you try a monopod? I thought the rule for motion blur was that the shutter speed needs to be twice the focal length or something like that.

I do most of my shooting on sunny days.

02-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You gave it a five-star try, but I cannot imagine freezing that action at under 1/1000, but you know this. Try standing on the line between the goal post and the corner. You should be better able to capture the kicker's faces, while retaining enough angle to get the keeper from the side.

M
02-22-2014, 01:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rob -- yes, I used a monopod. As for that rule of thumb -- I've found in practice that you need a LOT more shutter speed than 2 x the focal length. For a lens at 200mm, go for 1/1000 instead of 1/400, as Miguel noted in the above post. Now, this is just impossible at a high school night game. And President Obama has ignored my repeated requests for a retrospective Air Force flyby of RF-84F Thunderflash jets to REALLY light up that playing field. Politicians!

Miguel -- will remember to get behind that line between the goal and the corner. That's a good tip. Luckily for me, college baseball season is starting here... and baseball makes sports photographers look like geniuses. it's so easy to predict where the action will occur. But soccer's the real test -- and if I can't get to any more games this year, I'll be back at it next season. Definitely with a supermodel or two to freeze those Army-Navy Academy boys dead in their tracks!
02-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #22
Banned

Well there is more to it then just shutterspeed I think.

This image with K-01, FA31mm but in a stadium, so I do have lots off light. Camera supported on the commercial thing next to the filed and just waited for the ball to pass. It's coming from a corner, so the scene is great. Taken with 1/250th and you will see that things are sharp.

But true, it is 31mm and not your 180mm and blur can occur with longer lenses.

I think that it next to motion from you it also could be SR blur. Check your camera menu, it is the last page #15 and set it to number 2, Always working SR. That will cost more energy, but your camera is Always ready to work. Next to that is to handle your camera/monopod combo since it will only stable one direction and not your swinging the combo around.

02-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ron. That's a fine picture! Just watched a pro night soccer game from England on TV here... very bright lights, like our pro stadiums... and , for just a few seconds, they showed a pro photographer down on the sideline near the corner... furiously swinging this HUGE white telephoto lens back and forth on a tripod, trying to follow the play.

I think there's a point where this would stop being fun and just be a big pain carting all that gear around -- better to be an amateur -- camera with telephoto lens, spare battery, lightweight monopod, and that's it! But then I hear the Devil whispering... "Well, why not a little bag with a wide-angle lens, for behind the net?" And so on...

Will turn on SR all the time... the K-01 has a huge battery so it shouldn't be a problem. But maybe the secret is to get a yellow one like yours -- obviously optimized for sports!

EDIT --just remembered that my K-01's SR was On for those night soccer pix... but I was using a monopod... and the manual says not to use SR with a tripod... same kind of thing?

Last edited by jon404; 02-22-2014 at 01:35 PM.
02-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Thanks Ron. That's a fine picture! Just watched a pro night soccer game from England on TV here... very bright lights, like our pro stadiums... and , for just a few seconds, they showed a pro photographer down on the sideline near the corner... furiously swinging this HUGE white telephoto lens back and forth on a tripod, trying to follow the play.

I think there's a point where this would stop being fun and just be a big pain carting all that gear around -- better to be an amateur -- camera with telephoto lens, spare battery, lightweight monopod, and that's it! But then I hear the Devil whispering... "Well, why not a little bag with a wide-angle lens, for behind the net?" And so on...

Will turn on SR all the time... the K-01 has a huge battery so it shouldn't be a problem. But maybe the secret is to get a yellow one like yours -- obviously optimized for sports!

EDIT --just remembered that my K-01's SR was On for those night soccer pix... but I was using a monopod... and the manual says not to use SR with a tripod... same kind of thing?
You need a monopod wich is strond enough to scare a gang of mexicans away. A lightweight may be easier to carry but is of no use to work with.

When I do moving stuff I do turn off the SR when I wanna swing my K-5 around for some action. On the other hand if your moving is steady then you can work with it. That is one off the advantages for having the Sigma 70-200mm OS lens, on #2 for OS there is only compensation for swinging your lens horisontaly.

---------- Post added 22-02-14 at 23:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Thanks Ron. That's a fine picture!
Yes thanks. I know that this scene is also a little present from the players. I did anticipayed on the scene, but having the luck to get the ball nice in the image and having 8 players in the scene all looking at the ball is just a gift. I also put this image in my Photo Exhibition last year.

https://www.facebook.com/fotoexpositieBeNeLeague

There was one collage with 144 portraits, but I made them with the K-5 (no idea why I didn't use the K-01 for that). There where 83 images and 24 off them I made with the K-01. Just a few with the K-5 II, but that camera came in just at the end off the competition.