Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
focus cache on K-01

Hi! Is there a way to achieve focus cache catch on the K-01?

Last edited by Caver; 02-20-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
02-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Forum Member

Do you mean "catch in focus"?
02-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, that's what I wanted to say "Catch in focus"... thanks
02-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't do that with CDAF as far as I know, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch in focus (also called focus trapping) is impossible on the k-01. You have to just use focus peaking and press the shutter.
02-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can't do that with CDAF as far as I know, unfortunately.
Thanks Adam and Na Horuk!
02-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The thing is that with phase-detection AF the camera compares two different signals and decides if they match close enough. So it actually "knows" what is focused and what is not all the time.

Contrast detection on the other hand rely on actually checking an interval and then go back to the point of when it saw the maximum contrast. In other words the camera can't tell if it's actually in focus without checking if it can find better contrast somewhere else in the focusing interval, making "catch in focus" hard to achieve and a guessing game at best.
02-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a little Casio EX-FC100 that has a neat automatic shooting feature. It is not exactly catch in focus but instead detects motion, just like some security cameras I guess. I can set a frame on the display with the arrow keys and the camera then waits for movement either, into or out of that box and will fire a sequence of shots. What is even neater is that you get a sequence of shots started before that movement is detected.
It is great for capturing thing such as a bird landing on a branch or one taking off. The latter would be especially useful for me if my K-3 could do it. I would probably have far less photos of where a bird has been.

02-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The thing is that with phase-detection AF the camera compares two different signals and decides if they match close enough. So it actually "knows" what is focused and what is not all the time.

Contrast detection on the other hand rely on actually checking an interval and then go back to the point of when it saw the maximum contrast. In other words the camera can't tell if it's actually in focus without checking if it can find better contrast somewhere else in the focusing interval, making "catch in focus" hard to achieve and a guessing game at best.
Thanks for the more technical explanation!

---------- Post added 20-02-14 at 20:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I have a little Casio EX-FC100 that has a neat automatic shooting feature. It is not exactly catch in focus but instead detects motion, just like some security cameras I guess. I can set a frame on the display with the arrow keys and the camera then waits for movement either, into or out of that box and will fire a sequence of shots. What is even neater is that you get a sequence of shots started before that movement is detected.
It is great for capturing thing such as a bird landing on a branch or one taking off. The latter would be especially useful for me if my K-3 could do it. I would probably have far less photos of where a bird has been.
This sounds like an interesting function, I wonder what stops the manufacturers of DSLR's to implement it... (and maybe I'm just not well informed and some brands have it...) - anyhow, It could be a very useful function on Pentax cameras too