Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 02:53 PM - 3 Likes   #1

K01 Video Capabilities in Action for PBS

Forgive the You Tube compression, but here are a couple of samples of Pentax K01 footage used in a PBS program.

02-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Wow, excellent editing and proof that it's the story that matters.
Well done..!
02-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great stuff!
What lenses did you use?
02-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Great stuff!
What lenses did you use?
Thanks. We used 2 K01 (one yellow, one black.......I prefer the yellow) with 85mm Rokinon, 40mm ltd, FA50 1.4, FA35 2.0, and Sigma 10-20mm.

02-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
very cool - wonder if you would be willing to share some of the things you learned about the k01 - settings, difficulties and work arounds. Regardless, the video looks great!
02-21-2014, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
We have been very pleased with the results we get from our K01s.......a very capable video tool.

I don't think I have any new tips or tricks ....

We turn off SR, shoot in manual unless there may be a lighting change then I'll switch to aperture, use fast lenses whenever we can, use tripods or monopods, we don't use a camera stabilizer, but we can get away with handheld using a wide angle lens.

Audio is problematic on the K01. We use a boom mic connected to a Zoom recorder and sync in post. Nat sound is useable straight from the camera as long as wind doesn't cause a problem.

I've also gotten usable audio on the camera by using an attenuator cable from the output of the Zoom to the input of the K01.....but nothing great.
02-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #7

Loved it! I like how nice and sharp the renditions you got from the line of affordable lenses! Gives me a bit of hope.
02-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice work Ike. Did you use 'Natural' profile and Daylight white balance?

In the first video, I think on the woman's speech behind the podium, you used camera audio instead of the Zooms?
Only thing I'd do different is adjust the height of the tripod during the interview, so the subject doesn't seem to be looking down past the camera - but that can be difficult to do without the subject appearing to talk down to the audience, or if the interviewer is a significantly different height to the subject.
That said, I like every shot in there, and I like the mix of transitions and cuts, and the use of the drum audio before the marchers appear, and held on to for a few beats after they are off screen.

Are you using the 1.03 version of the firmware? In the shot of the kettle boiling on the open fire, I thought I spotted some macro-blocking in the heat haze to the left of the frame. Could be just Youtube, but I'd noticed similar blocking in frames with a high percentage of changes between the preceding and next frames on some of my footage when using v1.03. It disappeared with v1.04.

I like the pacing of the second video, the shots are all well composed, and it's easy to follow the subject matter and story.
That person about a third of the way in really needs to stop chewing their fingernails,....

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 02-24-2014 at 08:26 AM.
02-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Nice work Ike. Did you use 'Natural' profile and Daylight white balance?

In the first video, I think on the woman's speech behind the podium, you used camera audio instead of the Zooms?
Only thing I'd do different is adjust the height of the tripod during the interview, so the subject doesn't seem to be looking down past the camera - but that can be difficult to do without the subject appearing to talk down to the audience, or if the interviewer is a significantly different height to the subject.
That said, I like every shot in there, and I like the mix of transitions and cuts, and the use of the drum audio before the marchers appear, and held on to for a few beats after they are off screen.

Are you using the 1.03 version of the firmware? In the shot of the kettle boiling on the open fire, I thought I spotted some macro-blocking in the heat haze to the left of the frame. Could be just Youtube, but I'd noticed similar blocking in frames with a high percentage of changes between the preceding and next frames on some of my footage when using v1.03. It disappeared with v1.04.

I like the pacing of the second video, the shots are all well composed, and it's easy to follow the subject matter and story.
That person about a third of the way in really needs to stop chewing their fingernails,....

We used Natural and Bright..........and yes, Daylight Sun white balance for the sunny shots. The audio for the woman at the podium was indeed captured with the on camera audio. In a live and organic shooting situation, it can be difficult to prepare for every audio and or video need, so luckily the audio was good and helped with the overall flavor of the live presentation event. The gentleman's interview was a "spur of the moment" opportunity and unfortunately he was quite tall. I'm pretty sure the tripod was extended all the way, but obviously not quite high enough.
Any odd video artifacts or anomalies you may see are most likely from the You Tube compressor, as the actual clips are "fabulous"!........... (well, there were a few "clunkers")