Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Digital zooming to focus causes 'Soft' images even though carefully focusing

K-01 operation question.

Sometimes when I press the OK button to zoom in 2x or 4x to carefully MF, I hear a mechanical sound and the viewer get a 'soft' look about it, even if I was almost perfectly focused before I press the OK button. I then have to focus again, which I do, but then my images end up with that soft look about them. What is happening here? What is that mechanical sound that is causing the softness after zooming in? I'm assuming its the aperture opening up.

Example attached. I was focused on the bluejay very near perfectly (focus-peaking on). Pressed OK button. Mechanical sound. Display gets soft. Refocused on bluejay sharply. Pressed shutter. Ugh. Bluejay comes out very soft in center.

ISO100, F3.2:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like that branch might partially be covering the bird, as the one he's sitting on seems perfectly sharp. Live view is previewed wide-open, so that's why the final result may have changed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

LIve view when NOT zoomed in will sometimes close the aperture partly in bright light -- you'll hear it opening and closing the aperture all the time as you move the camera around and the light coming into it changes. But when you hit the MF assist zoom, it will open it all the way and stay that way. (And aperture all the way open is the preferred way to focus on most lenses, naturally, so I'm always annoyed by that feature.) So that may be what you are hearing. The zoomed image is of course just a digital zoom so it automatically looks worse/soft/pixelated the more you zoom in. However, your best focus attained here should still be the best focus period, but if you zoom in too much you can be fooled by contrast, etc. You might try turning focus peaking on or off. Don't refocus after hitting focus when zoomed in with MF assist. Just keep practicing...

What lens is this?
03-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What lens is this?
Hi Von, this is the Rokinon 85mm F1.4. Yes, very narrow DOF even at F3.2 which this was shot. But, I'm pretty good with MF so it surprises me it would be a focus miss. I've also been using some diopters with this lens recently, and that is some seriously tricky MF. But, the bluejay shot was just the normal lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It looks like that branch might partially be covering the bird, as the one he's sitting on seems perfectly sharp. Live view is previewed wide-open, so that's why the final result may have changed.
HI Adam, pretty sure this was a clean shot to the bird but, yes, a branch would produce that effect so I'll double-check and see if that was the culprit in this case.

Thanks

03-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OnTheWeb Quote
HI Adam, pretty sure this was a clean shot to the bird but, yes, a branch would produce that effect so I'll double-check and see if that was the culprit in this case.
You might want to try your test on a simple subject.

BTW...cool painterly effect.

Steve
03-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another problem with the LCD not being WYSIWYG in full manual mode.