Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Dust on K-01 Sensor

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Took several photos today at f22 and saw a "mark" at same location in each photo. Switched lenses and same thing.
Checked sensor and saw the strand of dust. I found this article and thought I would use it to guide me in cleaning the sensor:

How to Cheaply and Safely Clean Your Camera’s DSLR Sensor

Recommends purchasing some items that are already included in the Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit.

Would you recommend buying this kit or is there a better and cheaper alternative?

Thanks.

03-09-2014, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried a rocket blower yet? So far that's all I've had to use. Also try dust removal with the sensor shake while holding the camera upside down.
03-09-2014, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Rocket blower should remove most dirt from your sensor. So far Thru two DSLR's that's is all I have had to use. I would try that first. Make sure to hold the camera lens mount down so the blown dirt falls out of the camera. Also do not stick the blower in so far as to touch the sensor. Just inside the mount should suffice.
P.S. I need to type faster

Last edited by patrick9; 03-09-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: answer posted while typing
03-09-2014, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
…when using the rocket blower, hold the camera with the mount hole facing downwards, so the dust doesn't resettle on the sensor. Also always change lenses with the mounting hole facing downwards, not forwards or upwards.

The pentax O-ICK1 gumby wand IS worth having, it does a brilliant job.

03-09-2014, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I live in Florida, and we have a lot of humid pollen that can get on a sensor. In those cases, a rocket blower never worked for me. I got a set of Clean Skies brushes from eBay, and it solved my problems. One brush to clean out the mirror box, one for the sensor. You shoot the brush with canned air and it builds up a static charge. One swipe across the sensor takes care of most anything.
03-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a blower brush not the rocket blower but will order that and probably order the Pentax kit. Will check out the Clean Skies brushes, too. Did try the dust removal but did not help. That strand of dust did not move.
03-11-2014, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no brush inside the mount

Please don't get that dusty brush anywhere near your open mount!
Never inside it, especially.

Try a genuine Rocket blower. With most other blowers (even without the brushes) there is the chance of bits of latex or plastic shedding from inside the bulb and spraying out with the air.

Good luck

03-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
Not to worry. I did not use the blower brush to clean the sensor. I read about someone wrapping lens wipes tightly on q-tips and then carefully wiping the sensor but I don't think I want to try that. I will get the rocket.
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Rocket blower just fixed my K-01 sensor dust, today. Highly recommended.
03-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
Maybe a trivial question but there are 3 different sized rocket blowers, small, med. and large, so what would be recommended? Medium more expensive than the large so thought just get the large.
03-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i got the large,
if i ever have an issue with fitting it in a travel bag, i'll pick up the small for a take-a-long one.
03-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
i got the large,
if i ever have an issue with fitting it in a travel bag, i'll pick up the small for a take-a-long one.
Large here, too. Rocket blasters must also be red, too.