Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to clean rubber grip?

Got some dirt on my K-01's rubber grip -- does anyone know what to use to clean that material? Am afraid to experiment with different chemicals in case I melt it...

03-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Water.
It's what I use on the K-7 and the K-01
Just rub with a damp cloth.
03-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #3

Armor All

I spray a little Armor All on a small piece of microfiber cloth ( not directly on the grip ) and rub it carefully on the rubber grip. Comes out like brand new.
03-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Gosh I'd never use something like AA on the grip that could potentially transfer to a lens from you hands. It would also make the grip slippery (which is why AA is not recommended for steering wheels)
You can use a soft toothbrush on the K-01 rubbers to get muck out of the grooves.

03-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Gosh I'd never use something like AA on the grip that could potentially transfer to a lens from you hands. It would also make the grip slippery (which is why AA is not recommended for steering wheels)
You can use a soft toothbrush on the K-01 rubbers to get muck out of the grooves.
Just a little, not a lot. then you let it dry a few minutes. I've had no problems whatsoever doing it. Works great on rubber and synthetics. It is not slippery and it gives it a nice shiny new look. .....or just use water and brush if you are apprehensive.
03-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had this issue a while ago. My suggestions? Water on a damp paper towel or baby wipes (trust me, they work for a lot of things)
03-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might find this interesting, especially about cleaner/preserver liquids with silicone in them https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/248242-preserving-rubber-grip-older-lenses.html Hand dishwashing soap is pretty good at cleaning without being abrasive, just make sure you rinse off the soap with with clean water. Alcohol based cleaners have the advantage of evaporating so they don't have to be rinsed off, but without detergents and emulsifiers added, they do a poor job of lifting dirt. If the rubber looks too dull after cleaning it, you could rub some mineral oil into it.

09-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #8

Areospace 303 Protectant is what I have been using, and it is excellent... It leaves absolutely no oily residue and also protects from harmful UV exposure. I use it to clean any rubber on lenses and bodies...
The rubber on my 300mm F4L IS lens hood started to get slightly sticky, a sign it was breaking down. I applied the 303 to clean it, and it's been as good as new ever since, and no longer has that sticky feel. I shoot outdoors 98% of the time, so the UV protection is a real plus..
To apply it, I use a good lint free cloth and spray it on the cloth first and then wipe whatever I am cleaning, don't oversaturate the cloth, you don't need too!! Just dampen the cloth and wipe away!
Visit here