Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Delkin Du3.0"-M LCD Shade is nice

Thanks to the PF for pointing out this little gem of an LCD shade. Love my K-01, but in bright light it can get tough to see. The very inexpensive Delkin shade helps greatly, once you get past the fact you have to stick something on to your camera. It flips open and closed easily, and slides right off when you don't need it (the mount rectangle stays on the camera always, of course) It has a clear cover that protects your LCD screen always and doesn't seem to reduce the LCD brightness at all. Cheap and effective.

Here it is in action and you can see how it shades the LCD nicely (or slides off in 2 seconds if needed):

03-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mounted one on my K10D, and it really helps a lot. (Different size, of course). I broke the cover mount pins, and promptly bought another. It keeps nose grease off the LCD as well. It doesn't show on the metal cover at all.
03-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I mounted one on my K10D, and it really helps a lot.
Have you, by chance, ever removed the sticky mount? I ask because I may want to peel mine off and put it back on in the right spot
03-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm no fan of these because you've totally lost the ability to hold the camera at a different height other than pretty much eye level and still see the screen.
I've seen them and tried them with other cameras (not mine) and found they did not stop reflection one iota. It is reflection when out in bright sun which is the biggest issue.
QuoteQuote:
once you get past the fact you have to stick something on to your camera
Yeh, I am no fan of 'sticking' stuff on my cameras.
Sorry for the negative post but really I find many 'accessories' useless gimmicks.

03-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The sticky mount will come off, but in pieces. When I broke mine, I replaced the whole thing.

Steve - the sticky on this item is on the frame around the screen, not on the screen. I have been using them on the same K10D since 2009, and I do not find that I have to have it exactly lined up to see the LCD, and when indoors, often remove the shade itself so that I don't have to keep flipping it open. Reflection in the bright sun is as simple as turning the camera slightly so that the shade does in fact shade the LCD.

All that said, we all have our own opinions, and I am in no way denigrating yours.
03-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Reflection in the bright sun is as simple as turning the camera slightly so that the shade does in fact shade the LCD.
Well, I haven't tried the anti-glare screens, which I'm sure are helpful but more expensive, but that's because with the shade I haven't had any problem using the K-01 outdoors and haven't need to.

So yes, we all shoot differently and have different needs.
03-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Keep an eye on your Delkin shade. It can be knocked off easily; it doesn't take rough handling to do it. I lost my first one that way. Fortunately, they are fairly inexpensive.

The brightness of the LCD can be adjusted upward to counter bright sunlight to some extent. That plus the Delkin shade is all I've needed.