Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus Magnification When Using Quickshift: Impossible?

Well, my very first Limited just arrived today: a new-to-me (and practically brand new) HD DA70mm F/2.4. Yeah!

So I pop it on, fire a few test shots, and one of the first things I want to try is quickshift. So I start to pre-focus manually while in AF mode, and hit the "OK" button to magnify... Oh, right, "OK" is used to change the AF area in the "Select" mode of auto-focus. Switch to face-detect AF. Hit OK. Does nothing. Switch to Spot and/or Tracking AF. Nope does nothing there either. So, in order to get a magnified view, I need to switch the camera to MF mode? Hmmmm, kind of defeats part of the point of the limiteds, doesn't it? Am I missing something?

03-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Quickshift basically overrides the AF, it is more for fine tuning. If you find yourself re-adjusting every shot, you probably need to tweak your FF / BF calibration on your lens. But if you prefer to focus manually, leave the camera in MF...
The camera doesn't "know" that you've changed focus using QS so it won't know it needs to magnify, it's a mechanical override. I don't know on the K01 but on a Pentax DSLR, if you hit INFO while in live view, it zooms in. But you should still be able to acquire proper focus without magnification... think of us poor DSLR shooter with only a minuscule viewfinder
03-13-2014, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-01 but I have a K-30 which I believe in live view mode is identical to the K-01 in most respects so what I describe might also work on the K-01.

I couldn't get it to do exactly what you need but a possibly useful alternative.

In the Live view options there is one called AF autozoom. If I tick that then when I half press the shutter (or the back AF button) the camera will focus and once focus is ready it will magnify the image 6x. It will stay magnified for as long as you keep the shutter half press during which time you can shift focus. In this state you can also change the magnification by turning the rear dial - unfortunately you can only reduce it as 6x is the maximum it will go.

On the positive side though focus peaking stays active even in the magnified image.
03-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
If you find yourself re-adjusting every shot, you probably need to tweak your FF / BF calibration on your lens.
Option doesn't exist with the K-01. I think only cameras using phase detect AF have the option to calibrate FF/BF.

03-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think only cameras using phase detect AF have the option to calibrate FF/BF.
Yeah you're right... the option is not available since contrast detect won't cause FF/BF issues.
03-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all. To be clear, AF seems accurate. This is not about needing to callibrate AF - something you can't do (and shouldn't have to do) on the CDAF-only K-01 - but only about, for example, pre-focusing the lens manually in the right ballpark if you know a shot is coming up to ensure quick AF. (Yes, I know the DA70 is pretty quick to focus.) I've just grown very used to hitting OK to magnify with a MF lens which, combined with peaking, works very well for me. I guess it's not a must-have, but I was a bit disappointed when I found out I couldn't do this with Quickshift. (I also read recently that Fuji has done some neat tricks at least on the XT-1, where it will automatically switch view mode to a manual focus assist mode as soon as you start turning the manual focus dial...)

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I couldn't get it to do exactly what you need but a possibly useful alternative. In the Live view options there is one called AF autozoom. (...)
Ah yes, thanks! This option is also on the K-01 and should be useful to do the reverse of what I was thinking of - fine-tuning manually after the AF has been activated.
03-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
(I also read recently that Fuji has done some neat tricks at least on the XT-1, where it will automatically switch view mode to a manual focus assist mode as soon as you start turning the manual focus dial...)
The Pentax Q-10 also does that, if I understand what you mean. As soon as you turn the focus ring by the slightest amount the image will be magnified and displays an indicator suggesting which way to turn to get focus. It returns to normal size after a few seconds or as soon as you touch the shutter button.

03-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Q classic too.