Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Picture of Pink K-01 prototype

Mark Newson has been speaking about his disdain for Google's Glass. I'm not so interested in that myself, but if you follow the link below, there is a video where he talks through a book of his previous projects, including the K-01. You can see the video if you scroll down to the bottom of the article. The K-01 is featured from 3:20 and a pink version that was never made can be seen on the page at 3:40. I think they should have made it. It looks pretty good for a pink thing.

The design industry is "really pathetic", says designer Marc Newson

As a matter of interest, it also shows the phone I had ten years ago at 1:20. I had the green button version. Loved that phone!

03-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting quote re: K-01

"I think that's been quite a success"
03-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice video. And let's face it : design of the K-01 wasn't appealing (at least for me) but it was a great hit !
03-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Nice video. And let's face it : design of the K-01 wasn't appealing (at least for me) but it was a great hit !
I'm not so sure it was a great hit until the prices dropped. But it has turned into my favorite camera for the most part.

03-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I watched it again in HD, and it looks like their is another one with lime green rubber on black at the top let of the six colour variations.
03-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something about Marc Newson that just speaks expensive. Like his book for $1,000

03-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I may not like all of his designs but he is passionate about designing and doing new things. That's better than doing nothing! His passion comes across very well.

03-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The staid tradition and form of black cameras offered a perfect opportunity for Newson to introduce new design ideas. The reaction was so predictable it was actually banal. I wonder, had Pentax released the K-01 in a shell reminiscent of the MX, whether Sony and Olympus would have company in the design imaginations of hip consumers today.
03-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The staid tradition and form of black cameras offered a perfect opportunity for Newson to introduce new design ideas. The reaction was so predictable it was actually banal. I wonder, had Pentax released the K-01 in a shell reminiscent of the MX, whether Sony and Olympus would have company in the design imaginations of hip consumers today.
Having had a exposure to the broad range of vintage camera design, my opinion is that the K-01 was not particularly bizarre. Any objections I had were based on usability and handling. The former, I won't blame Newson for. It was not his fault that a proper viewfinder was not in the target spec. He might take some blame, however, for the K-01 having the handling characteristics of a chunk of adobe. I know, many people really like the feel of the camera in the hand, but I tried one with several different lenses and was unable to manage a working balance. No sale to me despite very attractive pricing.

Steve
03-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Something about Marc Newson that just speaks expensive. Like his book for $1,000
for a 610 pages 33x44 cm book of design*, that's the average price.

*containing pictures and design plan of every object, at every part of the fabrication.
03-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Having had a exposure to the broad range of vintage camera design, my opinion is that the K-01 was not particularly bizarre. Any objections I had were based on usability and handling. The former, I won't blame Newson for. It was not his fault that a proper viewfinder was not in the target spec. He might take some blame, however, for the K-01 having the handling characteristics of a chunk of adobe. I know, many people really like the feel of the camera in the hand, but I tried one with several different lenses and was unable to manage a working balance. No sale to me despite very attractive pricing.

Steve
I understand that - but I never had the problem. Mine comes naturally to a shooting position with every lens I have shorter then the K135/2.5. But then my shooting position is unusual - I don't shoot at arms' length.
04-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Cool! I wish Pentax would make more of those different colour schemes, as well as a pure black one that could be thrown at all the complainers.
Hopefully Pentax builds on this design and makes a K-02.
Oh, and people saying that the K-01 only got popular after the price drop.. true, but it was because the initial price was too steep. If the initial price would have been between the first price and the reduced price, it could have stayed at that price for a long time. Its too bad that one of the boldest moves Pentax recently made was received so poorly. Pentax is known as a rather conservative brand, but apparently the photographic community is even more conservative, refusing cameras that aren't black and made of hard plastic
04-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Interesting quote re: K-01

"I think that's been quite a success"

I think it probably was. It's a designer camera, I don't it was ever intended to be sold in great numbers, which its detractors don't really seem to realize.
04-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I hope the native K-Mount mirrorless camera comes back, either as a K-01 or something new.

It's an area where Pentax led, I think. I would have eventually added one to my quiver and might still at some point.
04-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I hope the native K-Mount mirrorless camera comes back, either as a K-01 or something new.

It's an area where Pentax led, I think. I would have eventually added one to my quiver and might still at some point.
I'm glad I have one. I'll bet one day in the distant future I'll be even gladder.