Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Will using SDXC cards allow for larger video files

As is widely known, the use of standard, or even HC, SD cards limits the file size of videos to 4GB, a result of the FAT32 file structure. If I purchase an SDXC, which uses exFAT, will the Pentax K-01 be able to record video files larger than 4GB?

04-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, unfortunately not. The camera would still need to split the video into chunks of 4gb, which its firmware currently doesn't support.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Is there any hope that there will be a firmware update to address this issue? If not, I may need to consider another non-pentax camera, which would be really unfortunate.
04-19-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, unfortunately not. The camera would still need to split the video into chunks of 4gb, which its firmware currently doesn't support.
That's perhaps not the 'best' way to answer that.

As it stands, the firmware doesn't support SDXC cards with the standard ExFat formating, though it may be able to use them once they are formatted to Fat32.
(Which means those cards are no longer compliant with the SDXC standards)

The Firmware also does not support SDHC cards when they are formatted to ExFat.

It is the Fat32 formatting that limits the maximum file size to 4GB, though in practice the K-01 stops recording at about the 2.7GB mark.

04-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
Eeesh!

So, what I hear you saying is that the camera's native file structure is FAT32, and that the card's ability to support larger files makes no difference. That's extremely unfortunate. It seems very unlikely, then, that a firmware update would completely rewrite the file system for the camera. Thus, I'm kinda hosed. Let me ask this: Is there any Pentax DSLR that natively supports exFAT?
04-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There is No DSLR / MILC that I'm aware of that supports ExFat from the factory, aside from the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cine camera,.. which has a raft of issues all it's own.

Magic Lantern on Canon DSLR's allows a workaround, where it automatically restarts recording to a new file.

All Camcorders that record to SD media do the same - start a new file at the Fat32 file size limit.

To implement ExFat over Fat32 shouldn't require a ground up rebuild of the firmware, just an add-on to the existing firmware, for any camera that already supports a UHS-1 SD Controller (required as part of the SDXC standards)

The same should be true for SDHC media formatted in ExFat for earlier models, but they will not meet the same data rate as the UHS-1 controller.
04-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
Just to be clear, the K-01 does not automatically begin recording another file when it reaches the 4GB limit. It simply stops recording. I'd be fine with a work around that allowed it to continue by recording multiple files. Could that be addressed in a firmware update?
04-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There's also an overheating consideration.
DSLR and DSLM cams are stills cameras with video as an addon function made possible by modern processors. The sensors are not video cam sensors either..
Even many camcorders have overheating considerations too, which is why the mid to higher end ones have a fan.

04-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, a record restart function would do the job, and yes, it could be done in firmware. Or in user scripts if the camera supported them.

As for overheating,... I've seen no evidence of it ever being a problem on the K-01, when used within the specified operational temperature ranges.
I've used mine for hours on end doing stop-start recording on short films and the like, for recording whole races at Phillip Island GP track, and near continuous recording of bands for local TV shows that equated to three hours of recording.

Never had a single issue with heat. In fact, when compared to my JVC HD7, which does file splitting and can record 5 hours continuous to it's internal HDD, the K-01 stays positively cold.
I could dry clothes with the heat the HD7 makes,...
04-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
There is No DSLR / MILC that I'm aware of that supports ExFat from the factory, aside from the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cine camera,.. which has a raft of issues all it's own.

Magic Lantern on Canon DSLR's allows a workaround, where it automatically restarts recording to a new file.

All Camcorders that record to SD media do the same - start a new file at the Fat32 file size limit.

To implement ExFat over Fat32 shouldn't require a ground up rebuild of the firmware, just an add-on to the existing firmware, for any camera that already supports a UHS-1 SD Controller (required as part of the SDXC standards)

The same should be true for SDHC media formatted in ExFat for earlier models, but they will not meet the same data rate as the UHS-1 controller.
Wrong, the new Panasonic cinema 4K (4096x2160) GH4 supports exFAT and I have a 128GB UHS-1 U3 speed class 3 SDXC card for it that is recommended by Panasonic.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/247...ml#post2773310
04-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I wasn't aware of that!

Mind you, I have yet to spot one in my local stores.

GH4 is a bit of a game changer - if it works perfectly out of the box (and as it's Panasonic, that's pretty much a given,..), and as it has clean HDMI, Canon, BMD, etc are now playing catch up.
For video at the price point, only the Sony A7s will challenge it for now, again because of the clean feed, but you do need an external recorder to record the 4K with it - Atomos worked with Sony on the development of the A7s.

So, in a way, the GH4 is the classic exception to the rule.
04-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #12

Original Poster
I realize, now, that I should have been more specific. I'm a long time photography and videography enthusiast, and do not derive any part of my income from my work. As such, I can in no way justify the expense of such a costly camera. I'm looking for something in the same ballpark, price-wise, as the K-01. For example, do all of the mid priced canon and nikon dslrs use FAT32? Overheating issues aside, this seems like a needless limitation, especially when every single video camera that records to SD can record more that 15 minutes of HiDef. It is just baffling to me...
04-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbcsrw Quote
Overheating issues aside, this seems like a needless limitation, especially when every single video camera that records to SD can record more that 15 minutes of HiDef. It is just baffling to me...
DLSR/DSLM are not video cameras. If the limitation was needless then the limitation wouldn't exist.
As already mentioned, HiDef video cameras have a fan, even though they have a smaller sensor - so overheating is NOT an aside, it's real and the MUCH bigger sensor in DLSRs generate much more heat. Also the processor heats up a lot if it's asked to crunch continuous video (unlike your computer, there's no heat sink and fan on your DLSRs processor)

PS: Pentax cams since the K-r / K-5 support exFAT, but they still have the recording limitation.

PPS: Seems the GR can record media files larger than 4Gb
http://www.esol.com/news/news_16.html

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 04-21-2014 at 09:03 PM.
04-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
HiDef video cameras have a fan
Nope,... Digital Cinema Cameras like the Red, Kinefinity, Alexa, they have fans. Consumer HD cameras don't, and it's pretty rare for Broadcast camera's to have them - ENG cameras don't, some limited studio cameras may have a fan.

And it's not the processor that gets cooled in Digital Cinema Cameras, it's the sensor. Large Bayer sensors have a habit of overheating when used for long periods of time, leading to stuck pixels, or serious failures.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbcsrw Quote
For example, do all of the mid priced canon and nikon dslrs use FAT32?
Yes, but that is as much a reflection of the use of SD media to record on, which requires Fat32.
04-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Nope,... Digital Cinema Cameras like the Red, Kinefinity, Alexa, they have fans. Consumer HD cameras don't.
Nope, you're wrong ol' chum. Even my old Panasonic HDC-SD700 has a fan, as do many of the later models.

And it's not the processor that gets cooled in Digital Cinema Cameras, it's the sensor.
Ah, but I never once said it was. Re read and read again..

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.