Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

K-01 & pk+mm

How many here are using the PK-MM on the K-01 and what lenses are you looking forward to be using on the brick?
I just installed mine and can report that not only was it really easy to install and fit beautifully on the camera but also my Contax 35-70 f3.4 fits and works without any lens modification needed.

Last edited by coppelano; 04-22-2014 at 02:15 PM.
04-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting! Now, if you could just do some closely controlled tests (please?), some pixel peeping... --> Can you confirm for us that this device is milled to original Pentax standards of trueness all around? Do you see any sign of a newly soft corner or L-R, top-bottom focus imbalance? I admit I don't get the website's warning off of this thing for so many Pentax film cameras: I've toyed with the idea of installing this on my clean, perfect ZX-M (under 12 oz. w/ split prism focusing is the point) in order to freely use both my Pentax [DA] and Nikkor lenses on it as a FF alternative to K-3 in my bag. The hang-up is said to be one open hole, used on that film camera (and others). So what's the big deal? You can't just fill it in? Do have any insight on this? Thanks, and good luck. Keep us posted.
04-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Interesting! Now, if you could just do some closely controlled tests (please?), some pixel peeping... --> Can you confirm for us that this device is milled to original Pentax standards of trueness all around? Do you see any sign of a newly soft corner or L-R, top-bottom focus imbalance? I admit I don't get the website's warning off of this thing for so many Pentax film cameras: I've toyed with the idea of installing this on my clean, perfect ZX-M (under 12 oz. w/ split prism focusing is the point) in order to freely use both my Pentax [DA] and Nikkor lenses on it as a FF alternative to K-3 in my bag. The hang-up is said to be one open hole, used on that film camera (and others). So what's the big deal? You can't just fill it in? Do have any insight on this? Thanks, and good luck. Keep us posted.
Unfortunately the pixel peeping will have to wait since I'm in the middle of moving right now and don't have access to a computer. I'm gonna have to come back to you with a definitive answer on the quality not judging from the tiny camera screen. On the other hand since the mount is a complete replacement from the original and is secured to the camera using the same screws odds seem low or at least lower for focus imbalance to occur than when cheap adapters are being used.

This mount is designed for Kaf2 the latest iteration of Pentax K mount. I assume that as long as the electrical contacts and screws line up you would be able to use it on earlier iterations as well the holes in the adapter shouldn't be a problem long as lenses cover the whole mount, which isn't always the case with older lenses.

Last edited by coppelano; 04-22-2014 at 04:00 PM.
04-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Moving -- Yes, that can be a load of work and will result in a stacking up of to-do items. I hope all that goes smoothly for you. I agree that adapters have their dice-ier aspects, especially after seeing the potential problems quantified with real world examples recently at Roger C.'s varied and interesting blog at lensrentals.com. I haven't seen much I could really call authoritative on the topic of best and most consistent adapters for the likes of NEX/alpha-E or m4/3, particularly for K-mount/DA lenses. Who can you trust? What do get by spending more? Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places.

04-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
I haven't seen much I could really call authoritative on the topic of best and most consistent adapters for the likes of NEX/alpha-E or m4/3, particularly for K-mount/DA lenses. Who can you trust? What do get by spending more? Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places.
I presume that adapting lenses to cameras with a big flange difference will allow for a much smaller margins of error in the adapter design then for lenses adapted to cameras with a very small flange difference between the original mount and the adapted lens. For examples there's a lot more room for miss alignment on a M42-Nex mount adapter than it is on an M42-PK because the M42-Nex mount has to be 27.46mm long while the M42-PK adapter has to mount the lens flush to the camera... More expensive adapters will probably have lower tolerance for uniformity over the adapter as well as better constructed mounts ensuring that the lens is locked in tightly not allowing for any wiggle room.
04-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This adapter looks very cool and may open up a whole fleet of other lens options. Maybe I need that Blue K-01 after all