Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 + k+mm + om = mmmm!

K-01 + k+mm + om = mmmm!
I got my Adaptist K+MM last week, mounted it on my K-01 in a few minutes, attached an Olympus OM Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f/1.8 (the latest version, marked "made in Japan"), and took it out for a test run. Here are a couple of the results.

I'd read about this particular Zuiko 50 in a discussion on Kiron-Klub on Yahoo groups recently--about its sharpness and contrast--and it was the first lens I wanted to try on my Adaptist-equipped K-01.

I'd been thinking recently about buying a NEX or NX or other APSC mirrorless so I could use some of my non-Pentax lenses, so the Adaptist came out just in time. It will satisfy my curiosity and save me a lot of money (on a mirrorless body, anyway; don't know what will happen if LAS kicks in). And obviously, from my recent experience, it's going to provide a lot of fun.

OM lenses have a 0.54mm longer register distance than Pentax, so infinity focus is off--it comes at about the mark of 12 ft on my 50. Maybe a thin shim behind the mount on the lens would resolve that. On the other hand, minimum close focus distance is now about 13-14 inches instead of the OM's marked 0.45m (18 in.). I'm holding the stop-down button in with a piece of tape to allow manual aperture setting. A more permanent (but reversible) jamming of the aperture mechanism is in the future for this lens.

Next up for experimentation is my Nikkor 105 f/2.5.

Anyone else have any experiences yet with the K+MM?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by nparsons13; 06-04-2014 at 01:25 PM.
05-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been waiting for some reviews of the adapter - it looks very promising. I have three converted lenses; 2 Contax Zeiss (from C/Y to K) and a Leica all using the Leitax.com mount conversion kit. All wonderful lenses, and this adapter appears to open up the Pentax bodies to more of these older lenses.

The older Yashica lenses use the C/Y mount (Contax), and Yashica benefited quite a lot from being the manufacturer of the Contax line of Zeiss lenses. That may be another brand that you could consider. Most of the Yachica lenses can be had for a song (and usually come with a camera attached). Their registration distance is just slightly different from the K mount (Leitax makes a slightly thicker mount to make the registration perfect).

The K-01 focus peaking should make using these lenses - especially when up on a tripod, a pretty easy process.

05-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As a matter of fact, I've been looking for one or two C/Y lenses at a reasonable price. Their registration distance is only 0.04 millimeter longer, which probably doesn't make a great deal of difference in focus.

Actually, I was wrong above about the Olympus OM register; it's only 46mm, which is longer than PK by only 0.54mm. It's the Nikon F that's a full millimeter longer.

I really dislike the way that photo of the bench reproduced in my original post. Don't know what I did wrong, but it was much sharper in the original and even on flickr, so here's the linked flickr image:

Last edited by nparsons13; 05-03-2014 at 09:14 PM.
06-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got a pic of the setup?

Charles.

06-04-2014, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here you go:

K-01 with Zuiko 50mm f/1.8
by nrparsons, on Flickr

Here's the OM Zuiko mounted on the Adaptist-modified K-01 with a Pentax-M 50/1.7 alongside for scale. The Oly is a little smaller and lighter than the Pentax-M, but it is solid and well-built. I like its cylindrical look on the K-01, with the chrome ring at the back.

OM lenses mount with the aperture/distance scale register mark lined up with the Pentax lens locking pin, so when they are twisted on tight, the register mark is still roughly 45 degrees before top dead center. That's better than Y/C lenses, which line up about 135-140 degrees past TDC, so you have to turn the camera over to see your settings. Nikon lenses, though, line up only, say, 10 degrees before the top. I don't have any Konicas, which, because of their register distance, won't reach infinity on a Pentax.

I had to shim the mount ring of my Nikkor 105/2.5 about .8 mm to raise it past the rim of the aperture ring so that its lugs would catch on the Adaptist. That's okay, because the Nikon register distance is roughly 1mm longer than Pentax's, so this puts it out where it should be for accurate focus at infinity.