Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #61

IMHO there were 2 problems from a wider market perspective: 1) price; 2) physical design aesthetics (mind you I like my k01)

Pentax failed to anticipate the market trend/fondness for "retro" looking cameras. Had the price been a bit more reasonable to start, and had they used the ME-Super body as a starting point, I think they would have had winner. The main market segment for mirrorless is the hipster, camera enthusiast segment...mostly 20-40 yr olds. They want a "cool" looking retro design, not an oddball, "WTF is that" reaction. Rainbow color schemes may be trendy in Japan, but here the market wants black/brown faux leather or silver that resembles something they saw in their father's closet.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 07:57 AM ----------

See a pattern?

05-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The retro trend wouldn't have be revived if the cameras did not have performance and marketing that got people's attentions at first place. If K-01 had been a game changing camera (performance, price etc wise), you bet the design would be copied.
05-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
IMHO there were 2 problems from a wider market perspective: 1) price; 2) physical design aesthetics (mind you I like my k01)

Pentax failed to anticipate the market trend/fondness for "retro" looking cameras. Had the price been a bit more reasonable to start, and had they used the ME-Super body as a starting point, I think they would have had winner. The main market segment for mirrorless is the hipster, camera enthusiast segment...mostly 20-40 yr olds. They want a "cool" looking retro design, not an oddball, "WTF is that" reaction. Rainbow color schemes may be trendy in Japan, but here the market wants black/brown faux leather or silver that resembles something they saw in their father's closet.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 07:57 AM ----------

See a pattern?
Unfortunately the pattern is too clear. Bodies that are too slim to hold properly that then have to develop a handhold "bump" to make usable. Long live the K-01! Oh and don't get me started on the retro thing...
05-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #64
Veteran Member

For me I like a bit more of a recess for my fingertips than the K-01 has. That's true regardless of the thickness of other parts of the body. I guess you could argue that the K-01 is more ergonomic than my Pentax MX, I wouldn't argue against that, but it seems like a small distinction to me.

05-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/files/news/8179662241/520/beautyshot2.jpg
05-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And my guess is everyone else who owns one feels the same way. You don't use a camera for what it doesn't do or isn't... that's peripheral information. You use a camera for what it is and what it does better. And the K-01 has some things it does better. The fact that many can't see a use for it is irrelevant. They can moan and groan all they want, for as long as they want. They won't talk one person who uses it out of using when appropriate. Their only recourse is to trash it so badly people who might like one will be discouraged from buying one. So what's up with that?

You aren't going to convince me that the $329 that included the 40 XS was not a good purchase. That combo fits in my jacket pocket. Put the 21 ltd in another pocket and you are soooo, laughing. I guess it's just that traditional DSLR users can't imagine it... so they trash it. WIth the K-3 and 60-250 plus 1.4 in my holster and the K-01 and 40 in my pocket, there's not much I'm not ready for.
The only issue I have ever had with the K-01 is the limited usefulness of the rear LCD in sunny situations. That does, in fact, hamper the camera's utility for me. But I enjoy it in every other way and use my DA Limited primes on it a lot, usually indoors. Like you, I skipped the 40mm XS because I already had the DA 40mm Limited. I do have one partial solution to the rear LCD problem for outdoor use: I still have the external OVF from my Q (which I sold off earlier this year). It was designed for use with the 47mm 01 prime for the Q-mount. Using the OVF in the K-01's hotshoe, I can kind of get away with using the DA 35mm Limited (53mm equivalent) and my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (45mm equivalent). It would be great if there was a way to retrofit the "White Magic" rear LCD from the Ricoh GR to the K-01.

Last edited by Biro; 05-21-2014 at 08:52 PM.
05-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would like to see k 02 with the same concept of k 01 and that means keep k mount and give the old design ..brick stylish some of retro style with Evf. It is better to keep using more than 25 million lens around than building a new mount with only 1 or 2 lenses. Time is not passed. Just look at the future which is insuring that mirror less is the winner horse. But what kind of mirror less/Q or aps/c or FF/ that is the question.
05-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I'd be happy with either a k-mount or a k-mount with 'macro-tube' adapter that retained screwdrive function. Electrical contacts could move if desired.

05-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by jporos Quote
Unfortunately the pattern is too clear. Bodies that are too slim to hold properly that then have to develop a handhold "bump" to make usable. Long live the K-01! Oh and don't get me started on the retro thing...

My point wasn't what is a better design...it was what the market wanted. Often, the market ("the collective") wants products or attributes in products that may not be the most efficient/best way to build something.

I was simply trying to say that the design of the K-01 did not fit into what the existing market trend was...hence, much of the revulsion when it was announced.

I actually prefer the "thumb on top" shooting position of the K-01. Do wish it had an EVF though.

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 04:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
Just look at the future which is insuring that mirror less is the winner horse. But what kind of mirror less/Q or aps/c or FF/ that is the question.

I don't know if there will be a "winner" as the market appears to be fragmenting into casual phone users (P&S is dead); Mirrorless enthusiasts; and DSLR pros......may be a vast oversimplification, but I know more and more people that are ditching their entry level DSLRs and P&Ss and simply using their phone.

The vast majority of consumers simply want to upload photos quickly to share and are happy even if they are producing "inferior shots." Online connectivity is the new Polaroid.
05-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax simply misread the market. The market was ready for a mirrorless DSLR-alike but was not ready for an overgrown and overpriced Q.

I predict we will see another mirrorless K-mount camera. I suspect it will have an EVF and will not resemble the K-01 at all. I can't guess when, though.

I don't expect Ricoh-Pentax to introduce any new lens mounts. They already have 645, K and Q. That seems to cover all the bases. For those who say K-mount cameras and lenses can't be small enough, that's what the whole Q system is for. I expect great things from Q; it's ahead of the curve.
05-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
Online connectivity is the new Polaroid.
Oooohhh! Quoteable!! May I use that?