Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-01 disassembly instructions, pics, videos, or service manual?

I am wondering if any enterprising DIY repair people have taken apart their K-01.

My yellow brick suffered a cracked screen due to keeping it carelessly right next to a lens in my camera bag. I'm trying to swap parts with another unit to get a fully functional one. The fact is, professional repair would cost more than a good condition unit on ebay.

I found only the following three pages, but the one about swapping rubber grips doesn't take apart the panels and get at the inside. And the other two don't have enough detail about where to pull and pry without breaking things (in fact, the English one is just referencing the Japanese one).

Replacing the Pentax K-01 Grip | photographybanzai.com
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Inside the K-01
????: PENTAX K-01???????

Is there any other info? Is this really it? Thanks for any help!

06-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You don't have to open it up to replace a screen, they are only stuck on with tape.
Do a search for screen replacement.
06-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
You don't have to open it up to replace a screen, they are only stuck on with tape.
Do a search for screen replacement.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. However, it's not just the glass, the LCD underneath is nonfunctional.
06-25-2014, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exploited View

QuoteOriginally posted by humaniform Quote
I am wondering if any enterprising DIY repair people have taken apart their K-01.

My yellow brick suffered a cracked screen due to keeping it carelessly right next to a lens in my camera bag. I'm trying to swap parts with another unit to get a fully functional one. The fact is, professional repair would cost more than a good condition unit on ebay.

I found only the following three pages, but the one about swapping rubber grips doesn't take apart the panels and get at the inside. And the other two don't have enough detail about where to pull and pry without breaking things (in fact, the English one is just referencing the Japanese one).

Replacing the Pentax K-01 Grip | photographybanzai.com
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Inside the K-01
????: PENTAX K-01???????

Is there any other info? Is this really it? Thanks for any help!
Maybe these will help.

Attached Images

11-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you ever have any luck? I'm trying to replace my screen and have gotten the bottom off, from what I can tell the top panel comes off next but I haven't figured out how to get it off yet.
11-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

They'd be useful if they were much larger. Where's the source?

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 11-05-2014 at 07:22 PM.
11-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Surely someone has this?
11-25-2014, 09:55 AM - 6 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Well since it didn't exist I made it: Pentax K-01 LCD Repair/Disassembly - Imgur

11-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Well since it didn't exist I made it: Pentax K-01 LCD Repair/Disassembly - Imgur
Nice work there. Good to know there's a screen available.
12-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Many thanks to Nixcamic for doing this ... but I hope I never have to follow his example.
03-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
This is fantastic. My broken K-01 sat in a half disassembled heap for the last 9 months. I had since bought a replacement K-01. Your step by step instructions show how to get past the part where I was stuck, the hotshoe plate removal. Now I hope to finish the repair (as long as I still have the one hundred different kinds of tiny screws). By the way, was the LCD you bought from ebay an exact replacement?
03-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You don't happen to have a shot of the area around the Mic in socket by any chance?
I think mines ended up with the solder joints coming loose, and while I've got a Tascam DR-70D, it'd be nice to be able to but a shotgun mic on the K-01 for clearer dialog for sync-sound usage in editing.
My 'formal' background is electronics, so re-soldering the the joint is cakewalk, just want to look-see before tearing mine down.
03-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
You don't happen to have a shot of the area around the Mic in socket by any chance?
I think mines ended up with the solder joints coming loose, and while I've got a Tascam DR-70D, it'd be nice to be able to but a shotgun mic on the K-01 for clearer dialog for sync-sound usage in editing.
My 'formal' background is electronics, so re-soldering the the joint is cakewalk, just want to look-see before tearing mine down.
My K-01 is still disassembled so I could take a pic of the mic-in. It's attached to a tiny PCB with some small wires going off someplace else. Unfortunately there is no access to the audio in PCB without a good deal more disassembly. I think the structural metal housing will have to come apart to get at it. Or at least one component of the structural metal parts (the main one in the center of the photo). Good luck.

03-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Balls,..... This is gonna be headachy
04-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #15

Original Poster
PiDicus Rex: Good luck. I hope it's easier than it looks.

I reached another impasse with my own K-01 repair. I replaced the LCD and the window and now it looks great, LCD looks good as new. However, none of the buttons on the back panel (next to LCD) work. I have checked and rechecked connections. The LCD and the buttons connect together onto a small flexible circuit board, and I think what may have happened is that operating the camera several times with the fried LCD may have shorted out something on that flexible circuit board.

I have since purchased another K-01 (love this camera) so this broken one is just a little pet project. I could try swapping the back panel between the two units (to isolate the problem to that circuit board), but I am very hesitant to take apart a perfectly working unit. Disassembling the broken one is no big deal, since I have nothing to lose.