Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Some 'Behind Scenes' stuff.

Last minute booking as Grip for a music video shoot on Sat 14th,... Literally, as I was heading out the door to a live music shoot on Friday evening.

So drive across Victoria, at dusk on a freeway with very heavy driving rain - sitting up to two inches deep in places, so the spray from other cars hitting the streams running across the road where it was banked would cover the bonnet (hood) and windscreen of my '66 Valiant thick enough to block vision past the glass.

Up past the tourist trap town of Daylesford, following some less then help full location instructions, that ended up with me going first down the wrong dirt road, then a couple of laps of the correct one, by now it's night, and the road is loose sandy surface over finger sized rocks, so the exhaust is scraping on the bumps at 50mph ( cars lowered an inch or two, but the suspension has been rebuilt to handle ), and then the fuse for the High Beam goes out,... with rows of tree branches arching overhead and the barest hint of cloud covered sky being all to guide me as I buried the middle pedal,... before remembering to hit the floor button and switch back to Low Beam...

But, after a bit of an adventure, get to location, get gear set up, and then start taking Behind Scenes shots with my K-01 and collection of Sigma lenses, suprising the DoP when he found out I was correct in saying my Sigma zooms are all Parfocal. Seems that's not all that common on EF glass...

So, this link should open the Album on Facebook for the photos.. even for people who don't have facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152517054887760.1073741845.80139...1

06-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the story, but the link won't work - I don't have Facebook
06-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have facebook, link still doesn't work

QuoteQuote:
This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Guess P'rex forgot to make it public
06-17-2014, 03:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I used the 'get link' function for the album, which is supposed to provide a link that works for everyone, not just facebook users.

Time for some settings snoopings...

Edit: That's a Public album now.

Question too,... What battery life is everyone getting?
I shot this album, which has 309 raw shots, plus Kid Crusher @ The Espy with 204 shots the week before, and an hours worth of video of Red Light Riot the night before this album, a Mermaid themed shoot for an MUA with 538 shots yesterday, and two shots on my cat on the roof of my station wagon this morning, before seeing the 'Battery Depleted' message.
Some of the Kid Crusher stuff used the on-board flash, and about half these photos had a 70-300 Sigma DG on the front of the camera, and (shock horror) I even used AF on some of those.

I'm kinda happy with the K-01's battery performance.
Any K3 shooters get similar life out of the D-Li90 batteries?
Would be good to know before I splash out on a K3.

'nother Edit: This is Kid Crusher....
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152354042172760.1073741841.80139...1

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 06-18-2014 at 03:37 AM.
06-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
No, I used the 'get link' function for the album, which is supposed to provide a link that works for everyone, not just facebook users.
Nope...

Nope..

You have to be signed in to FB

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM.
06-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahhh, poo.

More looking at Facebook needed,... that link is what is supposed to be available from outside FB
06-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's an outside Facebook? I quit long ago. They're even creepier than Google and I didn't think that was possible.

06-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree. I still use it for business reasons, but super minimally.
P'rex, why not use dropbox? You can share a folder and photos show up in a neat grid-view and clicking them displays them in a nice viewer.
06-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dropbox requires a broadband connection,... which I won't get until the NBN is connected.
Too far from the local exchange for an ADSL connection to have any real value.
Facebook works on every connection.

Buut,.. the NBN guys ran the fibre to the house last week, so we're just waiting for the connections to begin being available in our area.
I'm hoping I can get TPG, and stay away from Telstra.
06-23-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dropbox requires a broadband connection,...
Rubbish.. You can use Dropbox on mobile devices using your 3g/4g connection and you can certainly use it on a PC with a Wireless internet dongle. I know of at least three people who do so.
I have the Dropbox app on my Samsung phone which [among other things] uploads photos automatically to Dropbox as soon as I take them
06-23-2014, 02:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
I don't have Facebook
It's gratifying to see so many non FB users around. FB is a disease.
06-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
3g/4g is a 'mobile broadband',.... and I have about two more months on my current contract before I can get a plan with a decent amount of Data..
I'm always getting " you've used 2% of your voice and 100% of your Data,..." sms from Optus.
06-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well you're not telling me you use 56K dial-up are you??
Anyway, if you don't prefer Dropbox over FB that's your choice and I respect that, was just a suggestion.
06-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dropbox also falls in with all 'Cloud' based services IMHO - I'd rather not rely on a service I don't have control of.
I won't be using Adobe's Creative Cloud versions ever.

Once the NBN connects us, I have a FreeNAS based server ready to go, and will have my own VPN for client media hosting.
Where they put it after it's created is their choice, and most seem to like having the choice, rather then just having it done on a platform they may not be using.
06-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Dropbox also falls in with all 'Cloud' based services IMHO - I'd rather not rely on a service I don't have control of..
Yet you use Facebook for photo albums?