Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 resurrected from water damage!

Coming off from a problem thread I posted a week or so ago here:

where (to make the story short) a K-01 I borrowed fell off-balanced on the tripod it was mounted on, into the murky waters of a riverbank, and took me some time to get it back. Attached to it was my dear DA* 50-135, and the body was promptly dead, with the lens having some focusing issues afterwards.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/267...-recovery.html

Here I am gladly telling everybody that the K-01 in question has just... come back to life! Three days in a box with a dehumidifier, then some rice, solved the problem (and landed me another camera body...).

For some reason even if the K-01 isn't weather-sealed (only the lens attached to it was), no water seeped in from where the lens was attached. The ports were drowned... rubber flaps can't handle even drops I guess.

Here are pics of the items in question, you can still see some residue from the accident though I've already cleaned both well.

front view

I was lucky most of the fall impact damage was absorbed by the DA* 's tough, tough hood... polarizer window broke and I lost it, and now I can't lock the hood in place anymore facing forward (but backwards for storage, it still locks into place somehow)

hood damage closeup

....and here's the secondary suspect I blame for the incident (primary would of course be me, the user... I shouldn't have left it on the dangerous planks I was standing on!)

here's the specific part that caused the trouble:

this locking knob that was supposed to keep the camera in the angle you set it... loosened up perhaps due to the weight of the cam and lens. Never happened to me before when I did long exposures with the K-x and kit lens or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, but that time, I knew it was the culprit. The setup loosely swung around as I lifted it from the water, and though still attached to the tripod, I know it's no longer safe to use any longer. Might make this a house accessory from here on.

As for the camera and lens... both are working fine now and hopefully will have no hiccups in the future. I'm amazed by how Pentax builds strength into the stuff they make, regardless of whether they're sealed or not. Obviously mine was a lucky case, as no water came into the mirror (?) box of the K-01. Still, I could've shorted the unit when I tried turning it on after wiping it dry... that was another obvious mistake I was lucky enough the camera survived through. There are probably similar stories from Canikonland, but for a "small player" like Pentax, this is enough proof for me to trust the brand.

I would like to thank Pentax for making really tough guns that deserve some appreciation from its users. Bravo!

- Ron

07-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great to hear of the positive outcome!

If you have not already, I would check the sensor for dirt (stop down to f32 or smallest aperture and take unfocussed long exposure of sky or other plain background). I would be worried about dirt getting between sensor and low pass filter but sounds likes water did not get in that area.

Agree that Pentax makes a nice solid camera. I had an "incident" a few years ago with a k-x complete with DAL 55-300 falling onto a concrete floor with no apparent damage (still use it).
07-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Oh that is a good story ending.
07-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for sharing this story! Yes, Pentax cameras are tough. My story of camera fall involves the K5 with 43mm lens and metz 48 flash attached. I was busy photographing some of my paintings in preparation for a show. There was a 24X36 canvas that I thought would benefit from some window lighting downstairs. I picked up the canvas and the camera set up and started walking down the stairs. I tripped, panicked and let go of the camera and held on to my painting. The camera with flash fell, bounced and rolled down the stairs. The flash came off the camera with the foot having broken off. The K5 - not a scratch and working fine. The lens (one of my favorite FA ltd) - minor mark - works fine. The flash - works fine and used it for off camera for a while before getting the replacement foot.

Last edited by mccarvindh; 07-09-2014 at 06:07 AM.