Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #181
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Can't find it today but there's a REALLY long article about the engineering that went into developing the new dual magnet IBIS for the K-01 and engineering the manufacturing prcess to fit everything inside the new form factor. I'd guess the price decision reflected the costs for the significant new tooling and processes.
This one?

Japanese
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20120326_519765.html

Googlish
Google Translate

09-09-2014, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This one?
Yes, thank you. Perhaps I am an apologist for the K-01 since I bought it pre-order - but I've always thought of it as the test bed for the technology. What I mean by that is that Pentax could learn on what was potentially a throw-away camera without putting the mid-range dSLR at risk. If the product and tech worked, bring the K-02 and the K-30. If the tech worked and the K-01 failed as a product, bring the K-30 and let the K-01 go. If the technology failed, hold back the K-30 and rework it.

I also believe they were experimenting with non-traditional bodies, both the K-01 and the radical shape of the K-30. The Western reception of the K-01 I think was unexpected so they just buried it. Unfortunately that may also have buried mirrorless and the XS lenses for quite some time. The return to a traditionally-shaped body for the K-50 from the K-30 also says something about radical design, as does the reaction to the K-S1 - the West just doesn't like radical camera design. (I think one issue with the K-30 body design was 3rd-Party lenses that didn't fit well under the flash snout).

Of course this is all conjecture on my part.
09-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, thank you. Perhaps I am an apologist for the K-01 since I bought it pre-order - but I've always thought of it as the test bed for the technology. What I mean by that is that Pentax could learn on what was potentially a throw-away camera without putting the mid-range dSLR at risk. If the product and tech worked, bring the K-02 and the K-30. If the tech worked and the K-01 failed as a product, bring the K-30 and let the K-01 go. If the technology failed, hold back the K-30 and rework it.

I also believe they were experimenting with non-traditional bodies, both the K-01 and the radical shape of the K-30. The Western reception of the K-01 I think was unexpected so they just buried it. Unfortunately that may also have buried mirrorless and the XS lenses for quite some time. The return to a traditionally-shaped body for the K-50 from the K-30 also says something about radical design, as does the reaction to the K-S1 - the West just doesn't like radical camera design. (I think one issue with the K-30 body design was 3rd-Party lenses that didn't fit well under the flash snout).

Of course this is all conjecture on my part.
I do remember reading that the K-30 was quickly replaced by the K-50 because sales were down on account of the K-30 design being too aggressive/masculine for many.

That kind of corroborates with what I see - a large percentage of entry-level DSLRs are youth sports and youth events are carried by the mom.
09-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #184

no, those cameras are carried by me. dunno a thing about what designs constitute "masculine" and "feminine" when even supercar designs carry lines not so different from a dancer's layered clothes and cat-eye glasses. near as i can tell, dudes just ascribe any camera they don't like to femininity -- to the hell of the soccermom, to dwell with the minivan, whose design elements in turn are mostly military. to know why it failed you would have to take into account 1) mirrorless exploded right about 2011-2012, 2) there hasn't been a pentax dslr sold at retail so nobody could hold and test one before buying, 3) canon and nikon hold a duopoly on dslr, 4) we, the adoring public, are never privy to sales figures, projected goals or the reasoning for cancellations, 5) ricoh.

09-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #185
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I looked out for Chris at Photokina, but didn't see him on the day I was there. Would have been fun.
12-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #186
Veteran Member

id just like to say the K-01 was almost exactly what I needed for my professional work (real estate/interior photography). Bad reviews that don't think of the broad use for an item are harmful. Not only that but salesmen who dislikes a camera and don't see what types of uses it does have will often contribute to the poor sales. We had a frys electronics down here that sold pentax k-5 but they had a similar attitude toward them as many have toward the K-01 and as a result they didn't sell well. They would always recommend canikon or Sony (I believe Sony is paying them big bucks to promote their stuff). Now they don't have any pentax cameras at the frys electronics here. And likewise we don't have a K-02<font color="Silver"><br />
<br />
<font size="1">---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 08:46 PM ----------</font><br />
<br />
</font>I have a feeling that Chris' attitude toward the K-01 would've likely contributed to it not selling it at his store. Even people who might have found it useful might have gotten advice like this &quot;oh this cameras garbage, take a look at this&quot; (shows some other camera).

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 08:48 PM ----------

ughh I hate it when it does that to me when editing a post

Last edited by shaolen; 12-25-2014 at 09:46 PM.
12-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #187
Pentaxian

Having used the K-01 for a while now, I am overall very happy with the camera. IQ is outstanding...sometimes I think it is better than my K5ii. The LCD screen only bothers me in sunlight..as such, I tend to use the K-01 indoors or at dusk/dawn. While I wish I had the option of an OVF or EVF for such occasions, I actually prefer shooting with the LCD, as I feel like I am still "part" of the scene, whereas, with a DSLR I feel like I am in a "cave" and isolated from my subject matter (This may be due to the fact that I am left eye dominant [also makes shooting a rifle pretty hard]). The live view with focus peaking has also encouraged me to experiment with legacy MF lenses. Ergonomically, I find I like the "underhold/trigger thumb" grip and use my elbow in my strap to stabilize. Performance-wise, the shutter-lag infuriates me. It seems so counterintuitive that there is a longer delay than on a DSLR that has to flop a mirror. I am not too bothered by the slow raw burst, as I usually am shooting jpegs of my kid in action when using burst mode anyways.

My biggest gripes about the design are: 1) the on/off switch is poorly placed and activates a lot when I am taking the camera out, putting it away, or changing lenses; 2) red and green button placement is awkward, making EC changes difficult; and 3) the rubber casing....because crud gets stuck in the grooves.

For $250, the k-01 was an absolute bargain for me. Yes, I wish it had an OVF/EVF; yes I wish it were a little slimmer; and yes, the design is "odd"; but for what I paid for it, it has exceeded my expectations and is a fun little gadget.

That said, I think Pentax missed the boat on this as far as the design and marketing from a business standpoint. They would have done much better to make this a retro-rangefinder type design IMHO, if they intended to go after the 20-30 somethingl/bridge/hipster/retro enthusiast crowd.

With regard to the review posted above...I saw Chris' initial review when the prototype came out and he was ridiculing it back then, even before testing it.

01-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
The LCD screen only bothers me in sunlight..as such, I tend to use the K-01 indoors or at dusk/dawn.
He he he,... I like how we all think the K-01 screen is a bit iffy,... Trust me, it's substantially better then most 'video' cameras - wait till you've used a BMD Pocket Camera out doors,....

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
1) the on/off switch is poorly placed and activates a lot when I am taking the camera out, putting it away, or changing lenses
Same Same! every other time I slide it in to my camera bag, bam, I knock it back On.