Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can work around those without becoming frustrated. Maybe it's a shame there aren't more me's.
Pentax K-01 successor: Pentax ME (Mirrorless Edition)

Perhaps there should even be a Monochrome Edition.

08-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
it has some very poor design elements like a lack of functional buttons, no viewfinder despite the body size, poor autofocus, and terrible rubber doors and is in my opinion (and I feel I'm entitled to have an opinion) a bad case of form over function. I truly dislike it as a camera and as a work of art.
Thanks for not sugar-coating-it. Not a lot of retailers give their honest opinion.

Of course, it's easy for me to take the criticism in stride, as I agree wholeheartedly with all points. It was a silly camera at $800. At $300 with a lens, a couple of years back, it was an ok-ish introduction to Pentax.
08-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax ME (Mirrorless Edition)
That's a line, not a camera. (ME-7, ME-5, ME-3; ME-70, ME-50, ME-30)
08-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #34
Pentaxian

It seems my attempt at humor & hopefulness failed...

08-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As you wander through life, you will occasionally run those people who will denounce something in the most vile terms for lack of one two features while ignoring the rest of positive qualities the item may have. If you are wise, you soon learn to accept these folks for what they are and move on. Ignoring them the attention they seek often works the best.
08-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It seems my attempt at humor & hopefulness failed...
Well I totally missed the reference to 'more me's' so it isn't on you.

My humor fell flat too - but as it turns out, ME-x isn't a bad line designation for MILC. I'd like to see a Monochrom Ricoh GR
08-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I'd like to see a Monochrom Ricoh GR
It might even sell a few units. Certainly many more than a dedicated monochrome ILC.
08-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Also in order to satisfy another forum users curiosity, I actually cut my own hair and don't spend much time on it at all so it really doesn't cost me much money or time, but if it looks like I spent a ton on it I'll take that as a compliment.
I'm gratified to read this, as both a photographer and a cheap haircut fanatic.

One thing that still mystifies me is whether Jordan is 7 feet tall, or Chris is a hobbit. Sitting on the counter to balance things out only seems to emphasize the disparity...

08-16-2014, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Strangely, I've never had a problem reaching the Green Button - or any other button. I know I'm an outlier but I really like the camera, the fit and feel in my hands (I palm it like an SLR), the images it creates (I know - a K-5 would do those too). The only things I dislike are the LCD in bright sunlight (not much would help that) and the M Mode hidden under TAv (but that's an issue with all the Pentax mid-range bodies AFAIK).

I can work around those without becoming frustrated. Maybe it's a shame there aren't more me's.
When I first handled a K-01 (preview dummy body, actually), my first impression was "meh, the green button's in the wrong place". Now I don't even think about it. I've had trouble with the LCD a couple times, I guess, but I don't really think about that, either. Likewise for the rubber flappy door. My biggest nitpick these days is the lack of an electronic level.

I wasn't really interested in the K-01 when it came out, and I read a review that said the only people who would buy a K-01 were eccentric artists, camera collectors, and Pentax diehards. I have a box full of old Pentax bodies, so I'll plead guilty to all three, and it's obvious now that Pentax built the K-01 just for ME. I struggled with it for a couple weeks, but when I threw away the neck strap and stopped trying to force it to be a DSLR, it really bloomed and pushed me to work more creatively. On long shooting days, switching from a DSLR to the K-01 feels like a breath of fresh air.
08-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
when I threw away the neck strap and stopped trying to force it to be a DSLR, it really bloomed and pushed me to work more creatively.
I don't think of myself fitting any of those three classifications - but maybe I fit all of them (probably not the artist qualifier). IMHO one must stop trying to make the K-01 be something it isn't and just let it be the K-01. Of course for many people that is prima facie the criticism.
08-16-2014, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

There is a rumor that some people actually manage to take great pictures with that piece of garbage that has no EVF, the worst AF on earth, and - worst of all - rubber doors!
They must be super-heroes or something!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/178409-add-your-best-k-01...-here-186.html
08-16-2014, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I use it for very differant shootings. Wheater it is sports, studio or random shootings, I'll manage to get some descent footage.

How can this camera be garbage?

With F*85mm and some fancy post processing.
08-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #43
Site Supporter

I want the ME-Too

Steve
08-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #44
Site Supporter

IMHO, if you are a reviewer, you should only state that something is a "piece of garbage" if you think no one may find it a useful tool. If it's not for you, but you can envision that other types of photogs might enjoy it, then stating it's a P.o.G. is a disservice to those of your followers that might enjoy that camera. I think by now the evidence demonstrates that the K-01 has found a following, and that it can produce some damn fine photography. Therefore, it's not a P.o.G. On the other hand, if you only tried it at launch, when it sold for $800 with firmware 1.0, I could see that you might be, ahh, nonplussed.

But to this day, it's a challenge to find a mirrorless camera that betters the K-01 in any significant way around the $400 price mark (with kit lens), which is what I bought it for, over a year and a half ago. The Fuji X-A1 arguably matches it for image quality, and is about the same price. You get a tilting LCD and it's lighter, but you lose IBIS. It's not a significantly better piece of equipment, IMHO.

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
My biggest nitpick these days is the lack of an electronic level.
Indeed. After about 20 months, with 2 bodies and around 25k actuations, my principal complaints are:
  • The rear LCD doesn't tilt: this is just very annoying for macro shooters (like me).
  • Position of the red (not green) button: I still hit this button accidentally at least once per outing. Grrrr.
  • Focus magnification on OK button only, and half shutter press automatically turns it off. I've learned to live with this, but damn, if I could assign it to the red/green button and have it not be turned off by a half shutter press, I'd love this camera twice as much.
  • Indeed, I want an electronic level!
  • Better focus peaking implementation would be a plus (especially selectable peaking color).
Other than that, I'm pretty happy with this camera! The card door is fine, IMHO. The thing overall is just a solid piece of equipment. Image quality is fantastic up to iso800, IMHO. Sharpness is top notch.
08-16-2014, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Other than that, I'm pretty happy with this camera! The card door is fine, IMHO. The thing overall is just a solid piece of equipment. Image quality is fantastic up to iso800, IMHO. Sharpness is top notch.
You are overly objective and not nearly opinionated enough to write a proper camera review.