Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 03:42 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Site Supporter

The opinions I had against it at $849 and firmware 1.0 were not nearly as noticeable at $249 and firmware 1.whatever.

08-18-2014, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My opinion... Most people look at the K-01 through a DSLR colored lens, and in those terms it falls short. Something like an Olympus OM-D E-M5 is a nifty DSLR substitute, at least for some of us. The K-01 is not a nifty DSLR substitute. It doesn't look like a DSLR, you don't hold it like a DSLR, the controls aren't like a DSLR, you don't have a viewfinder like a DSLR, etc. If you're looking for a DSLR substitute, then the K-01 is probably "garbage" to you.

On the other hand... If you like the Pentax Q but don't need something that tiny, the K-01 makes a dandy "Mega Q". It's got a bigger grip, bigger sensor, faster processor, and way more lens options. What's not to like? (Of course this argument assumes there is something likable about the Q other than its tiny size! There are also plenty of people who don't "get" the Q either.)
08-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
DPR did not like it either .
"Photo quality is among the best out there" and that is what counts for me the most. Looking like a yellow brick is just a bonus
08-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
My opinion... Most people look at the K-01 through a DSLR colored lens, and in those terms it falls short. Something like an Olympus OM-D E-M5 is a nifty DSLR substitute, at least for some of us. The K-01 is not a nifty DSLR substitute. It doesn't look like a DSLR, you don't hold it like a DSLR, the controls aren't like a DSLR, you don't have a viewfinder like a DSLR, etc. If you're looking for a DSLR substitute, then the K-01 is probably "garbage" to you. On the other hand... If you like the Pentax Q but don't need something that tiny, the K-01 makes a dandy "Mega Q". It's got a bigger grip, bigger sensor, faster processor, and way more lens options. What's not to like? (Of course this argument assumes there is something likable about the Q other than its tiny size! There are also plenty of people who don't "get" the Q either.)
Agree 100% - The K-01 should not be compared to a DSLR, and shouldn't be used in the same way.
Compared to other MILC's, it kick butt.
For video, at HD resolution, even while it's not perfect, it was much much better value for money then any other MILC, and I'm including both HD variants of Blackmagic designs cameras in that.
At the run-out prices, it was the best value-vs-perforamce MILC out there. Bar none.

If it had been launched with the main firmware choices fixed to what the user base currently wants, it would have killed the 5D2 and 5D3 market stone cold dead.
Fix them now, and the BMD 2K and PC users will hate us K-01 owners even more.

08-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #95
Pentaxian

Okie, had a good watch,.... and have to :lolz

Chris, Jordan,... you're basically saying that Canon and Nikon should make thier own version of a K-01, but without the compromises in the K-01's shipped firmware.
(And possibly with an adapter or variable flange distance mechanism.)

Have you guys played with it with the current firmware?
And do read what we've boiled down to for the necessary firmware changes, as CaNikon would need to include those too.

One thing you missed, is that price-wise, the Eos Cinema line is stupidly overpriced for what they are and do.
08-18-2014, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Noo, keep the K-mount, but make more XS lenses! Brick design with DA 21mm, DA 40mm, DA 70mm is smaller than many modern mirrorless mount cameras once you put a lens on them. K-01 has lots of room for improvement, true, but lets stick with K-mount. If Pentax makes a new mirrorless mount, I'm sure a lot of users would instead migrate to one of the already established mirrorless mounts
If you want tiny mirrorless mount cameras, Pentax already has one - the Q!
I agree with sticking with K-mount, I think Pentax should avoid competing with the m4/3 crowd on their terms. And as long as Pentax continues with IBIS, they'll have a big leg up on the other APS-C mirrorless contenders.
08-18-2014, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

I think it would be wise to stick with the K mount if they plan on releasing another "big sensor" mirrorless, considering they already have the Q as a separate mount.
08-19-2014, 05:45 AM   #98

I agree with everyone about keeping K-mount in any new mirror-less bodies, as well any new DSLR/FF bodies. If the K-mount goes, I go........

08-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #99
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax already have 645, K and Q mounts. That spans the whole gamut. Trying to support yet another lens mount doesn't seem sensible, especially when Q already holds down the compact end of the line so well, and has so much potential.
08-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #100
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote

One thing you missed, is that price-wise, the Eos Cinema line is stupidly overpriced for what they are and do.
I made a comment that the EOS Cinema line really doesn't offer anything cutting edge. I've been very critical on Canon's video strategy on several of our videos.
08-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
doesn't offer anything cutting edge
vs
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
the Eos Cinema line is stupidly overpriced for what they are and do
Not the same.

Eos-C doesn't represent any sort of value for money, especially when compared to Ursa (yee-uck) Cion (WANT!) and KiniMini4K (Want!), or the BMD-PC4K.
The Eos-C cameras a ridiculously over priced. They may be good cameras, but they are not good value for money.

And again, Have you used a K-01 with the more recent firmware?

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 08-19-2014 at 09:31 PM.
08-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #102
Site Supporter

I bought the K-01 strictly for self defense
Then fell in love with the feel, focus peaking, and quality of the photos it produces.
I've used my K5 very few times since Nov. 2012, and I love that camera too.
08-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #103
Pentaxian

I've never received an unflattering word about my K-01 from anyone I've encountered while out shooting. Some people think that because the K-01 looks different, its somehow better.

And I've received a couple of specific compliments about the appearance of the K-01 coupled with the Tak 200/5.6.
08-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #104

the k-01 is a rangefinder camera (though the rangefinder is not optical) built for an slr lens system. it's like petri in reverse and smarter. no camera should have a mirror now that sensors have advanced to the point that we can use live view for hours without melting the camera and the live view image is and always has been truer to the final composition than any optical viewfinder. here, we have a camera that by default sees only what the film sees and it got thrown away.
08-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #105
Site Supporter

What range is the K-01 finding?