Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You know what, I'l send them an email (like I have nothing to do)

Oh I did my best and made a nice mail.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 08-15-2014 at 01:51 AM.
08-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

It's always fun to watch sales people criticize the people who can actually design and make this stuff.
08-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The usual ignorance regarding Pentax. This kind of opinion only serves to demonstrate that these guys know nothing.
How is that so? They tested the K-01, and disliked it. Many other folks - including "Pentaxians" - also had harsh opinions of it.

The Camera Store guys have been complimentary of other Pentax cameras.

Last edited by luftfluss; 08-15-2014 at 06:03 AM.
08-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When The Camera Store first showed the K-01, they shot the video in a boxing gym. Chris seemed enthusiastic about it, or at least about the specs, since they didn't show it in use (probably because it was a pre-production model). As much I love my K-01s, if my first impression had been trying to shoot boxing action with firmware 1.00, I would have called it a "piece of garbage", too. And Chris hated the rubber flappy door. Heck, many PF members have called the K-01 garbage just because of the rubber flappy door.

08-15-2014, 11:55 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Forum Member

Our opinion on Pentax...

Hey Everyone

It's Chris Niccolls here from The Camera Store using Jordan's account (he wanted me to make that clear). Let me preface this reply by saying that I'd like to think we try to stay quite objective when it comes to our camera reviews including those from Pentax, and that we have a great relationship with Pentax Canada and they have always appreciated our honest opinions on their products. As well we really enjoy our relationship with pentaxforums.com in particular and the support from all of you over the years. Now of course the K-01 has an excellent sensor, and the versatility of its full K mount lens range, but at the same time it has some very poor design elements like a lack of functional buttons, no viewfinder despite the body size, poor autofocus, and terrible rubber doors and is in my opinion (and I feel I'm entitled to have an opinion) a bad case of form over function. I truly dislike it as a camera and as a work of art. A company like Pentax is capable of making some excellent gear and yet is also capable of making very poor and very unmarketable choices as well. Still lets keep in mind that I'm not trying to insult or attack anyone personally except maybe Marc Newson. I'm not going to apologize for expressing my honest opinion and if it upsets some users, well so be it, but I do very much appreciate that Pentax has always supported our videos fully and that the Pentax community is vibrant and loyal to their products.

Also in order to satisfy another forum users curiosity, I actually cut my own hair and don't spend much time on it at all so it really doesn't cost me much money or time, but if it looks like I spent a ton on it I'll take that as a compliment. We should talk about the K3 sometime and then we can all be friends again. Thanks as always for your comments and opinions. Whether they agree with our choices or not we do truly value them.

Chris @ TCS TV
08-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Hey Everyone

It's Chris Niccolls here from The Camera Store using Jordan's account (he wanted me to make that clear). Let me preface this reply by saying that I'd like to think we try to stay quite objective when it comes to our camera reviews including those from Pentax, and that we have a great relationship with Pentax Canada and they have always appreciated our honest opinions on their products. As well we really enjoy our relationship with pentaxforums.com in particular and the support from all of you over the years. Now of course the K-01 has an excellent sensor, and the versatility of its full K mount lens range, but at the same time it has some very poor design elements like a lack of functional buttons, no viewfinder despite the body size, poor autofocus, and terrible rubber doors and is in my opinion (and I feel I'm entitled to have an opinion) a bad case of form over function. I truly dislike it as a camera and as a work of art. A company like Pentax is capable of making some excellent gear and yet is also capable of making very poor and very unmarketable choices as well. Still lets keep in mind that I'm not trying to insult or attack anyone personally except maybe Marc Newson. I'm not going to apologize for expressing my honest opinion and if it upsets some users, well so be it, but I do very much appreciate that Pentax has always supported our videos fully and that the Pentax community is vibrant and loyal to their products.

Also in order to satisfy another forum users curiosity, I actually cut my own hair and don't spend much time on it at all so it really doesn't cost me much money or time, but if it looks like I spent a ton on it I'll take that as a compliment. We should talk about the K3 sometime and then we can all be friends again. Thanks as always for your comments and opinions. Whether they agree with our choices or not we do truly value them.

Chris @ TCS TV
Hi Chris,

great seeing you here. If you like to make a video on photokina then I'm in for it.

Greetings, Ron.

(well you'r young, where drinking beer..... )
08-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm mad about Pentax, have been since I held my first SPII. That being said the K-01 is one of the reasons my M43 cameras are Olympus. I can't speak for it's insides but the design of it's outside was a total turn off for me from the first moment I saw it. The Q is okay, cute even in some variants, but I still would not own it either. I won't say the K-01 is "junk" but it's not something you'd ever find in my bag. I've said this before, nope, not even if I got offered it as a gift. That's how little the K-01 impresses me.

08-15-2014, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Chris for having the courage and open-mindedness to come and respond.

I was actually immediately attracted to the marketing images of the K-01 (though I had to find them on the Canada and Europe websites since Pentax USA refused to market the camera). I bought a K-01 during the pre-order period for a light, walking camera to use with small primes, and I posted here. That was the first and only time I've bought a new camera pre-order.

Very few people understood then, and though a few now get it, very few understand now. I didn't want a K-30. I didn't want an EVF. I didn't really want video (I still don't see the point). I didn't want a skinny, shiny hipster plate like all the other Holly-wood people were buying. I didn't get another new dSLR until the K-3. I retired my K10D and used my K-01 exclusively.

Supposed rational reviews don't matter to me. I liked it then and I like it now. I just like it.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-15-2014 at 01:43 PM.
08-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
one of those fellows was or is a member of PF

liz in calgary
08-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for visiting pentaxforums.com.

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
Now of course the K-01 has an excellent sensor, and the versatility of its full K mount lens range, but at the same time it has some very poor design elements like a lack of functional buttons, no viewfinder despite the body size, poor autofocus, and terrible rubber doors and is in my opinion (and I feel I'm entitled to have an opinion) a bad case of form over function.
I agree 100%.

When the K-01 was introduced I wrote a short piece called "Marc Newson's K-01 fails design principles test".

Your "garbage" summary doesn't quite do the K-01 justice since (as you say) it has an excellent sensor and it seems to work well for some people, but overall I agree that the camera was a disappointment due to its neglect of function sacrificing it to form and not even succeeding in aesthetics.

Please keep those very nice TCS reviews coming and thank you very much for being open-minded regarding Pentax. Not every reviewer gets what Pentax is about, it is awesome that Jordan and you give Pentax cameras credit where credit's due.
08-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In all fairness, since the folks at TCS reviewed the K-01, a firmware update improved AF by a lot.

I agree that due to poor ergonomics, lack of features and poor AF with some lenses, the K-01 certainly merits a negative reaction.

I, however, find my bumblebee K-01 to be awkwardly lovable. Its square, kludgy body works a treat with the svelte DA Ltd.'s. I appreciate that I can shoot insect close-ups in compromising areas by extending one arm and composing through the LCD.

The disdainful viewpoint some Pentaxians hold for the K-01 reminds me of the similar attitude some Canikon users hold for Pentax in general, and for some (perhaps perverse) reason that makes me enjoy my K-01 just a little bit more.
08-16-2014, 06:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Do I want a K-01 as a tool? No.
Do I want one as a collectors item? Yes.

It absolutely fills no gap in my type of shooting and I can't even reach all of the important buttons when holding the camera. As a pure tool, that would be garbage for me.
08-16-2014, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strangely, I've never had a problem reaching the Green Button - or any other button. I know I'm an outlier but I really like the camera, the fit and feel in my hands (I palm it like an SLR), the images it creates (I know - a K-5 would do those too). The only things I dislike are the LCD in bright sunlight (not much would help that) and the M Mode hidden under TAv (but that's an issue with all the Pentax mid-range bodies AFAIK).

I can work around those without becoming frustrated. Maybe it's a shame there aren't more me's.
08-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm a complete Pentax nut: I have a K-7, a K-5 IIs, a K-3 special (and the prestige edition on order), a Q, two Q7s and an MX-1 (along with six or seven film cameras), but I've never been tempted to buy the K-01. It just never appealed to me, but I realise that lots of people like it, so more power to their elbows!
08-16-2014, 07:30 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

I think calling it an "absolute piece of garbage" is just wrong. I mean, it has many great features. The sensor is great and it has a very weak AA filter, so the photos are very sharp. The AF isn't as fast as a DSLR, but after a firmware update it is acceptable for my uses. Of course, some types of photography need faster AF, but most don't. Its just a matter of patience. And really, the firmware update changed it significantly, the original firmware had very slow AF.
Button placement.. meh, I don't see the problem. It has plenty of buttons, as many as any entry DSLR, plus green, plus red button. I find them to be completely functional, and I use many old manual lenses that require green button metering. And I set the red button to be focus peaking (or DoF preview sometimes). I can't complain about these buttons. But sure, it takes some getting used to, just like with any new camera. I think its buttons are still much better than many entry level cameras, bridge cameras, P&S cameras, etc. But of course, it doesn't have as many dedicated buttons as some more advanced cameras. Because it not meant to compete with the D3 and 5D, its meant to be below the level of the K-5.

Oh, and of course there are features and elements of the K-01 that could be improved, but a) it was the first of its kind b) it was an experiment and c) any product could be further improved. I think the main mistake Pentax/Hoya did was the initial price of the K-01 being too high.

All that being said, the titular line is just an opinion, and I won't stop watching their videos just because of this one line. There is a difference between the reviews and this type of "debate" or "discussion" video. And we owners of the K-01 are used to harsh comments from the photographers community - and many more compliments from everybody else
Seriously, with no camera before did people genuinely look at it and say it looks good. And then when they see the photos they are surprised that its not just form over function, but the good-looking camera also produces good photos.
To each their own. Enjoy your gigantic black box with edges everywhere and a big angry mirror furiously pumping inside.